Wrong Oil put into my 1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really a great site...I have been reading alot!

It has come to my attention that the wrong oil was put into my Benz! My car calls for Mobil 1 0w40 because of the MB 229.5 certification. And for the past 1.5 years...i have had Mobil 1 10w30 which was put in by an independent Mercedes repair shop. It really bothered me so much that the following day I immediately changed it the next day to Mobil 1 0w40.

My questions are....

1. Did it harm my car in any way for having the 10w30 oil in there? It was in there for 5500 miles for 1.5 years.

2. During the past 1.5 years...one of my oxygen sensors is failing on me. The check engine light turns off and on now. Will the wrong oil cause this? My car has 55,000 miles by the way.

Last edited:
1. No (though I'd not run it 1.5 year myself)

2. No

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

2. No

welcome2.gif

i had it in there because of my PreBitog days. I listened to my Maintenance lights and it said i had like 6500 miles of oil life left....my thinking was "it's synthetic! its good for 10k miles!" i have now learned to change it yearly regardless of mileage. BTW, the Mobil 1 10w30 I had in there was dark brown when i had it changed after only 5500 miles. I had a chance to put in the 5w40 LubriMoly but didnt know much about it...so i requested that Mobil 1 0w40 be put in!

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
no problems at all. The 229.5 spec comes much more into play if you are running factory specified service intervals (13k or so).

2 oil changes ago...i had Mobil 1 0w40 (I know because I looked at the receipt from that oil change at the dealer) in there for 10k miles. and my FSS (maintenance light) said I still had like 1.5k miles left of oil life. Im a bit uncomfortable past 10k miles...

Mobil 1 0w-40 shears to a 30 weight anyway. I would probally use GC or a non-synth oil, like 10w-40 dino at a 5-6k interval.

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

2. No

welcome2.gif

i had it in there because of my PreBitog days. I listened to my Maintenance lights and it said i had like 6500 miles of oil life left....my thinking was "it's synthetic! its good for 10k miles!" i have now learned to change it yearly regardless of mileage. BTW, the Mobil 1 10w30 I had in there was dark brown when i had it changed after only 5500 miles. I had a chance to put in the 5w40 LubriMoly but didnt know much about it...so i requested that Mobil 1 0w40 be put in!
Syn oil does nothing for all the by products that remain in the sump from everyday driving.

Changing the oil does. But, I think you are fine.

Take care, Bill

PS: The color of used oil really tells you nothing. Doing a "useless" (some people think they are) will tell you how the oil is doing.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Mobil 1 0w-40 shears to a 30 weight anyway. I would probally use GC or a non-synth oil, like 10w-40 dino at a 5-6k interval.

Are u recommending GC 5w40? At what time frame or mileage interval does it start shearing to a 30 weight? Right away?

Id like to put the best oil in there for the next oil change since I drive the car about 6 to 8k miles a year. Not too concerned with the cost. But im hesitant to change since ive been reading that additives from different oil brands might conflict. Might as well continue with Mobil 1 since thats what its been using for 10 years.

Last edited:
I don't think you hurt anything by using M1 10W-30. You changed it before the FSS told you to and M1 is a very good product.

Since GC 0W-30 and M1 0W-40 are 229.5 approved, you could go as long as 18,000 miles using Mercedes fleece oil filter. Or stick with the FSS and a paper filter but your OCI might be shorter.

There is no time or mileage interval for oil shearing. It's dependent on use characteristics such as driving style and weather conditions.

An annual OCI using GC or M1 and a Mercedes filter at your mileage rate will be plenty safe. No cross-compatibility issues. I'd encourage you to drive the car regularly if you are not doing so. Cars do not like to sit and can develop problems far more serious than what grade of oil is in the engine.

it's funny how GC is so highly regarded under the European Oils section. There are so many threads titled GC. Is it that much better than Mobil 1 0w40? Is Mobil 1 0w40 a distant second? Im gonna try GC on my next oil change based on everything ive read on this thread and the many others i have skimmed. It seems to be the #1 oil for my Mercedes!

I'd say they are about equal. M1 is somewhat more 'friction modified', with BOTH moly and Boron in the add-pack, but UOA performance-wise, both pretty close.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
M1 0W30 is to thin and HTHS to low.

I don't think anyone was suggesting M1 0w-30 in this thread.

it's funny how GC is so highly regarded under the European Oils section. There are so many threads titled GC. Is it that much better than Mobil 1 0w40? Is Mobil 1 0w40 a distant second? Im gonna try GC on my next oil change based on everything ive read on this thread and the many others i have skimmed. It seems to be the #1 oil for my Mercedes!

GC is not approved in AMG engines, but M1 European Car Formula 0W-40 does, according to MB sheets 229.5 and 229.3 approved oils. That tells you something.

If you accumulate 5.5k miles in 18 months or about 70 miles per week, that means your driving is mostly short distance and in city streets. With your driving style, much thinner oil such as xW20 is better for your engine. If you go with dino then do 1 year OCI, if you go with syn then follow FSS or 2 years OCI whichever is first.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

GC is not approved in AMG engines, but M1 European Car Formula 0W-40 does, according to MB sheets 229.5 and 229.3 approved oils. That tells you something.

If you accumulate 5.5k miles in 18 months or about 70 miles per week, that means your driving is mostly short distance and in city streets. With your driving style, much thinner oil such as xW20 is better for your engine. If you go with dino then do 1 year OCI, if you go with syn then follow FSS or 2 years OCI whichever is first.

GC not approved for AMG? Really? i didnt know that. yes that does tell u something. thanks for the info. 5 out of 10 times i drive this car it's probably city driving under 7 miles. 3 out of 10 city driving 8 to 15 miles. 2 out of 10 highway driving over 20 miles. This car has probably seen only 1 or 2 "100 mile trip" in its lifetime. 2 questions for you please.

1. i would consider an Xw20 oil but what oil out there is 229.5 approved that is better than Mobil 1 0w40?

2. if i follow FSS (maintenance lights) or 2 year OCI interval..i will definitely hit the 2 year OCI first. leaving oil in there for 2 years was ok for me before but it is a little uncomfortable for me after reading BITOG threads for the past 3 to 4 months...dont u think so?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back