Wrong Oil? Deciphering "Codes" on Walmart Receipt..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Miller88
Walmart TLE uses supertech oil? I have only seen Shell / QS / Pennzoil at them.

It's a very new option.
My Walmart carries (this can vary by region)
Quaker State 10W30 5W30 5W20
Pennzoil 5W30 5W20 (Bulk 500 Gallon tanks)
Pennzoil HM 5W30 5W20
Castrol Ultra Clean Semi Syn 0W20
Supertech Syn 5W30 5W20 0W20
M1, Pennzoil, Castrol Synthetics 5W30 5W20 0W20

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by GreasyG
Oh, also, I'm assuming the "SN" at the end of the name is the API designation/classification?

Yes..in the future I'd use an SN+ lube if I were you considering your turbo.

Supertech im pretty sure is SN+. They just do not label it in the computer system. Nor do they do it for any of the other oils.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Thanks all..

First off, I wasn't convinced that I needed "High Mileage" oil at 71-72,000 miles.

Second, wasn't sure if this was a blend or not (as I believe the Ford spec calls for that, especially with the turbo and this motor being so small - 1.6L).

Third...well, there was something else but it's slipping my young (well into "middle-aged") mind at this moment............,....?

Thanks again to you all..

No Ford does not call for a "blend" Ford recommends Motorcraft which happens to be marketed as a "blend" but it is just Phillips 66 lowest offering of API certified oils.

It's important to pay attention to the certification and specs not the marketing.

Ok, where can I find proof of this (that it's just Phillips 66 lowest offering of API certified oils). please?

Last edited:
Ok, where can I find proof of this (that it's just Phillips 66 lowest offering of API certified oils). please?

VOAs have established that Motorcraft and Philips TropArtic are VERY similar, if not identical formulas, insofar as you can tell from a VOA.

Now that Trop Artic has been replaced with Philips Choice Shield, it's pure conjecture at this point in the absence of a VOA, but given past similarities I'd put my money on Motorcraft and Philips Choice Shield (P66's low-cost synthetic blend) being one and the same. The extra $ for Motorcraft gets you a fancy red bottle with Ford's name on it, IMO.

Last edited:

No one has proof. Only people that deal with this at Ford/Motorcraft and the blender they contract with for their oil will know the details. Anything else is speculation.

Regarding the spec'd oil, it calls for WSS-M2C945-A. There are conventional oils, not synthetic or synthetic blends, which meet this spec. These engines do not require any "special" oil whatsoever. In Canada, even Motorcraft markets a conventional oil that meets this spec. Penzoil has a 5W-20 conventional that meets it as well as Quaker State, Valvoline, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back