Wrapping screw on oilfilter in heatinsulation to increase warm up in cold climates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern cars are designed to warm up verry rapidly with water/oil heat exchanger/ underplate under the engine/ heat insulation in the engine covers etc...
Modern engines are basicly running in a box with only the radiator being outside the box.

However i am currently working on a Honda k24 2.4 engine which will produce around 320hp. However it is still used for daily driving and in the Netherlands the winters will be around 30F. Combined with that his daily route is only 16 miles to his work and 17 miles back i would like to improve the heat up a little bit.

We will be instaling and underplate under the engine because originaly the car doesnt have one.

My suggestion is to wrap the screw on oilfilter in heat isolation material because as you can see on engineering explaind video the oil filter is one of the hottest parts and its only a milimeter thick steel that seperates the hot oil from beeing cooled by the outside air.

This will be only fitted in the winters and will be removed during the summer. I dont think the oil will now run too hot because i rarely hear stories that on a modern car engine/oil cooling is a problem and this car does have on oil to water heat exchanger.

Also the hoses going the to in car heater warm up fast and lose heat. Might also wrap those.

Attachments

• 20210112_221221.jpg
    20210112_221221.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20210112-231250_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-231250_YouTube.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20210112-231808_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-231808_Chrome.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 125
Why not just install a block heater? I bet it will heat things up faster than an insulated oil filter.
Offcourse that would be the best soluotion but he does not want to go in that direction/costs. It does not really get cold enough here (anymore) I thought this might be a simple soluotion.

Also to keep the heat longer in the engine.

This is a joke, right?

30F is not that cold.
No its not that cold but with the short trips most cars see overhere it causes a lot of sludging in the valve cover.

While the thermostat controlled water cooling reaches operating temps in around 10 minutes the oil often takes 2 to 3 times as long.

The screw on filters are almost not used any more on modern european engines. I think this also has to do with the heat loss (and more reasons offcourse)

The newest BMW 2l turbo gasoline engine even has blankets molded to the sides of he engine. BMW claims that these engines can keep their heat in for up to 36 hours.
Thus reducing, cold start /needing for choke enrichment, extra drag of cold oil, instant heat from the interior heather, reducing the gasoline that enters the oil during the heat up, reducing sludge, catalyst heat up etc.. etc..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-232727_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-232727_WhatsApp.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 36
As i said its not only to heat up the engine (oil) fast, but also to keep the heat in the engine(oil) for longer.

At 30F outside temp my bmw e90 325i stil is at half the heat of operating temps after sitting for 4/5 hours.
The honda is stone cold after sitting for 2 hours, i thought maybe with a couple euros of heat insultation this can be improved a lot.
As most of the people here will probably know the cold starts and the enriched running are the periods where usally most of the engine wear occours.
320 horse out of a 2.4 liter engine. That should heat right up with one good mash of throttle.
Yes that would definatly help, but the drivetrain has now costed around 8000 euros so he will probably not do that :)

Two things to consider;

1. The insulation will be attractive to rodents looking for material to make their nests from.

2. Once the insulation gets wet it will lose the ability to keep heat in.

My suggestion is to wrap the screw on oilfilter in heat isolation material because as you can see on engineering explaind video the oil filter is one of the hottest parts and its only a milimeter thick steel that seperates the hot oil from beeing cooled by the outside air.

This will be only fitted in the winters and will be removed during the summer.
Based on the thermal image, putting an insulative cover on the oil filter will cut down on some heat loss. How much that actually effects the oil warm-up time and resulting stable operating temperature can only be verified through a controlled test.

As i said its not only to heat up the engine (oil) fast, but also to keep the heat in the engine(oil) for longer.

At 30F outside temp my bmw e90 325i stil is at half the heat of operating temps after sitting for 4/5 hours.
The honda is stone cold after sitting for 2 hours, i thought maybe with a couple euros of heat insultation this can be improved a lot.
As most of the people here will probably know the cold starts and the enriched running are the periods where usally most of the engine wear occours.

Yes that would definatly help, but the drivetrain has now costed around 8000 euros so he will probably not do that :)
Based on this reply anybody who spends that amount of money on a engine to get all this extra performance and is daily driving it and wants it to be 0.0000005 percent more efficient has a strange set of priorities in my opinion.

Newer Honda’s (and many others) use grill shutters ~ there are many shapes/sizes on the internet …

Based on this reply anybody who spends that amount of money on a engine to get all this extra performance and is daily driving it and wants it to be 0.0000005 percent more efficient has a strange set of priorities in my opinion.
Efficiency is not the problem, its more the get rid of the period of time that the engine is running on enriched mixuture set by the ECU. this causes cylinder bore/ring wear and dillution in the oil. A warm engine is a happy engine as most of you will know.

The newest bmw even have plastic oil filter housings, ofcourse because of cost savings and easy to mold/make. But it also doesnt lose the heat as fast because alluminium is one of the best heat conductors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-000523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-000523_Chrome.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 37
At 30f I wouldnt give it a second thought but if you really want to warm the oil I would just use a stick on pan heater with a timer to turn in on an hour before you use it.
Yeah i looked into that but he lives in the city and there is no power available where is car is parked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back