Wrangler YJ 1989 Aisin AX5 MT fluid

Hey.

Friends YJ gearbox had developed notchy shifting....and we tried to resolve that with changing its gearbox oil.

And here lays a problem....all service manuals calls for GL3 fluid.....which is way obsolete and nowhere to be had!

We have researched the topic and did our homework.....but ended up even more confused.....because folks put all sorts of fluids in this gearbox!
From 10w40 PCMO......to industrial gear oils.....

We tried to solve that problem ( it was my idea actually) to put in a proper GL4 fluid (because that helped in my LCs MT a lot.....Toyota is GL4 /GL5 specd...but GL5 oils doesnt work well in my gearbox).......with Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90......but shifting got even worst....

So what do you guys put into those AX5 gearboxes? 10w40 HDEO (++ZDDP)? Tractor STOU/UTTO oils with GL4 spec? ......?

Last edited:
Ok...10w30 here over in the EU can be only or STOU/UTTO......or some OPE stuff...

First is loaded with ZDDP (hence GL4 spec).....second is usually some API SN generic stuff with P/Zn in 700-800ppm range....

I would go then with either GL4 tractor fluid or HDEO.....much more P/Zn for a gearbox use.....?

Back