Wow- New Format! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see BITOG is back online, & Wow- with a new format, no less!

Probably did some of us good to go a few days without. I'll bet there was a lot of hard work involved in this too- so, THANKS and a salute to all who did the hard work in the trenches to get this new format up & going.
patriot.gif

Its Baaaack! New format, even new Graemlins! WOO-WOo-Woo!
stooges.gif

Yes it is nice the board is back, but the new format is such that it may not make that much difference to me that it is back. You can no longer see part of the last post making it harder to tell if a thread is worth opening or not.

The signatures are back allowing you to read the same stupid comment time after time. Then there is the rating or title. So what is it based on? Number of posts? Just the thing to draw posts for the sake of posting. Too many useless posts here already. I question if it is worth my time to try to find what little I am interested in this new format.

labman, if they bother you so much, you can turn off the signatures in your settings (My Home). Then they won't show up.

Quote:

Yes it is nice the board is back, but the new format is such that it may not make that much difference to me that it is back. You can no longer see part of the last post making it harder to tell if a thread is worth opening or not.

What are you talking about?

My Gripes:

- the default font is too small
- no Edit Function at this time
- hideous appearance
- something's just not right!
tongue.gif

I guess I don't have a problem with any of that, but there is a major problem with this reply format.

First I have to type my message and decide if I want a signature, then click continue, then pick out smilies and try to put them back where I wanted them, then click post. If I change my mind and want to not include my signature I have to hit back, but wait now I can't go forward either. If I just hit continue without typing a message I get the same error.

This can't be right.
dunno.gif

I did do a double take as it was loading. The colors don't hurt my eyes, so all is good. =-) The only thing I miss is the couple of lines of message body when looking at the daily active messages.

Alex.

I see nothing that allows me to start a new thread, and I've checked all over for such a thing. What's the problem?

Also, I see nothing that allows me to check the posts that I've made. That is, a list of my posts in various threads.

Quote:

First I have to type my message and decide if I want a signature, then click continue, then pick out smilies and try to put them back where I wanted them, then click post.

If you click the "reply" or "quote" button on the message you're replying to, it will show all the graemlins at the bottom of the screen. If you click "quick reply" or just scroll to the bottom of the thread and start typing in the box at the bottom, then you won't see them.

canada.gif
starwars.gif
banana.gif
popcorn.gif
grin.gif

While we're undergoing this continental upheaval, thought I'd suggest to our mods to maybe streamline the number of forums. Places like "Interesting Articles" are hardly used anymore, people just post them in General or Motor Oil or wherever. Would reduce the number of forums I need to wander around.

Otherwise, I'm getting used to it. Good job all in getting things put together!

Oh yes, I was going to suggest naming the color schemes after companies. Instead of Frosted or Infopop, we could have Quaker State Green or Fram Neon Orange.
grin.gif
tongue.gif
Just kidding. Mostly.

I aggre with Pablum. I wont meye edit funkshun back. Havinng to hump through joops to post is teadius enuff.

I never used the active topics section, nor did I ever have the oil board show me the first few lines, so thats not an issue for me. I judge a topics worthiness by title alone, for better or worse.

The edit function being gone is an issue. Preferably, we could edit our posts indefinitely, like I can at the mercedesshop forums, so that if things change, we're good to go. Id also like an email reply option on every thread, because some are worth subscribing to, others arent.

The new search is great, and there are lots more customiing options too.

Im not sure Im sold on the default checked preview reply box, in some ways its good, but Im sure Ill forget to fully post sometimes...

I like having signatures, but need more space to add useful info like my ars and mileages... It would also be better if the signature font was much smaller, so you actually had to make an effort to look at it if you desre, and can easily skip it if desired too.

JMH

My gripes?

- No edit function

AND: NO RSS FEED!!!!
mad.gif

Sorry, but this software should have a RSS feed. Period. Otherwise, great job.

There is quite a bit you can do at ''My Profile''. I managed to get rid of the stupid signatures and the Fram orange, but still don't have the first couple of lines of the last post. Quite often the title does not describe the thread very well. Threads also drift off topic as well.

I once read of scientific papers being compared to a low grade ore. With the new format, I am not sure it will be worth picking through all the dross to find the nuggets worth reading or commenting on. If it runs me off, perhaps some will see the new format as a great success.

The edit function is being worked on by the mods/admins. It was initially missing, then it was turned on and it worked great for maybe a day, now it's gone again.

Moribundman: if the default font is too small and the appearance is hideous, I'd suggest changing the style sheet to something other than the default. Several styles are setup with larger than normal fonts, and there are variations in the font size in the other styles as well. I'm currently using "Infopop 2" which actually appears to have the smallest font size out of all the various styles available.

Quote:

I once read of scientific papers being compared to a low grade ore. With the new format, I am not sure it will be worth picking through all the dross to find the nuggets worth reading or commenting on. If it runs me off, perhaps some will see the new format as a great success.

I also don't find the new format as easy to scan and decide what's worth reading. Maybe I'm as old and stuck in my ways as you are
laugh.gif
I can live with it though.

I do miss the edit function, but have high hopes that the good people running this board are taking care of things. They have done a good job in the past and have been fixing things on this new board. So, change you brake fluid to kill some time and hang in there,
grin.gif

Moribundman: if the default font is too small and the appearance is hideous, I'd suggest changing the style sheet to something other than the default. Several styles are setup with larger than normal fonts, and there are variations in the font size in the other styles as well. I'm currently using "Infopop 2" which actually appears to have the smallest font size out of all the various styles available.

Unfortunately none of the choices can match the classy "classic" BITOG appearance. Font size is either a hair too small or a hair too large, even if I change it in my browser. I guess I'll get used to it.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back