Wow at all the information here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krunk
So by that logic I will get the same result doing a dino oil and changing at 3k as doing a synthetic and changing at 10k

Synthetic is better in every way. However for practical purposes, in DDs the main benefit is the higher OCI. You're not stressing the engine so much that it would require or benefit the extra performance of synthetic. So the main benefit is the longer interval.

Also 3k for dino is very short. Even for dino I don't think any manufacturer nowadays sets the interval at 3k, and recommend 5k or 7.5k.

Last edited:
Like I said, the wealth of information you found here is forever lost on you. You already made up your mind that you will continue with your ridiculous OCI because you know that is best. You already made up your mind that you will accept the advice of five and everyone else has nothing to contribute.

I never said that extended OCI is the only benefit to synthetic. I've wrote at least twice that synthetic oil is better than conventional in every way. It cleans better, flows better, transfers heat better, lasts longer, have better and stronger add packs, and represent a formulators best foot forward. You even let it be known that the added initial expense of synthetic is not an issue. But that is lost on you too. Even though you read it, you pretend I didn't write it because of your preconceived notions.

How can you read that link I posted and at least not be at least open to the idea of extending your OCI? Because you know better! Your ideals concerning oil/OCI are EXACTLY like lawnsbymike. Clevy's tirade summed up nicely your illogical way of thinking. Did anyone dispute his claims? If one of these five that you have tis faith in tell you your OCI are a waste, would you change your thinking?

Go to PENNZOIL'S HOME PAGE. Look at their oil drop graph under, "cleansing and protection" What are they trying to tell you?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Nothing personal about it, synthetics are always better. All the information that you find so amazing is lost in you if you continue with those ridiculously low OCI's.

Don't worry, even seasoned members ignore the facts.

READ THIS RECENT POST.

Soo... with the recent post you pointed me too (which I had aleadry read before I joined so I could post) the benefit to synthetic is extended OCI. Ok I got that I knew that before hand. Read it on the bottle. Was wondering if there was really any other benefits to it. I was wanting to know if it actually improved MPG, better conditions seals, keep your enigine clean and more lubricated.

Now stop and reread the end of my last statement there. does it keep engine cleaner and more lubricated.

Im not asking will it keep it cleaner and more lubricated at longer OCI. I figured it would there, thats what its designed for.

So Oil Changer if you are telling me the ONLY benefit to synthetics is increased OCI. Thats fine. Great. That answers my original question.

So by that logic I will get the same result doing a dino oil and changing at 3k as doing a synthetic and changing at 10k

Like I said, the wealth of information you found here is forever lost on you. You already made up your mind that you will continue with your ridiculous OCI because you know that is best. You already made up your mind that you will accept the advice of five and everyone else has nothing to contribute.

I never said that extended OCI is the only benefit to synthetic. I've wrote at least twice that synthetic oil is better than conventional in every way. It cleans better, flows better, transfers heat better, lasts longer, have better and stronger add packs, and represent a formulators best foot forward. You even let it be known that the added initial expense of synthetic is not an issue. But that is lost on you too. Even though you read it, you pretend I didn't write it because of your preconceived notions.

How can you read that link I posted and at least not be at least open to the idea of extending your OCI? Because you know better! Your ideals concerning oil/OCI are EXACTLY like lawnsbymike. Clevy's tirade summed up nicely your illogical way of thinking. Did anyone dispute his claims? If one of these five that you have tis faith in tell you your OCI are a waste, would you change your thinking?

Go to PENNZOIL'S HOME PAGE. Look at their oil drop graph under, "cleansing and protection" What are they trying to tell you?

Nothing personal about it, synthetics are always better. All the information that you find so amazing is lost in you if you continue with those ridiculously low OCI's.

READ THIS RECENT POST.

Soo... with the recent post you pointed me too (which I had aleadry read before I joined so I could post) the benefit to synthetic is extended OCI. Ok I got that I knew that before hand. Read it on the bottle. Was wondering if there was really any other benefits to it. I was wanting to know if it actually improved MPG, better conditions seals, keep your enigine clean and more lubricated.

Now stop and reread the end of my last statement there. does it keep engine cleaner and more lubricated.

Im not asking will it keep it cleaner and more lubricated at longer OCI. I figured it would there, thats what its designed for.

So Oil Changer if you are telling me the ONLY benefit to synthetics is increased OCI. Thats fine. Great. That answers my original question.

OK stop Oil Changer.

You say the wealth of information is forever lost on me. I came here to get the wealth of information. Still trying to understand it and take it in so I hope I havent lost it yet.

You say I have already made up my mind that I will continue to with my ridiculous OCI because I think its best. If I had made up my mind and thought I knew best I wouldnt have came here and asked a question.

You say that you never said the extended OCI was the only benefit. Yea your right you didnt but in this thread You did not give me any other benefits you just came in telling me that I was ridiculous and wasteful because of my 3k-5k OCI. As a matter of fact this is the first time you even mentioned any other benefits in this thread. you may have talked about it in other threads but I have not clicked on your name and read every post you have posted in other places.

Let me make it very clear to you.

I came here because I have been changing my own oil for 22 years. Because I have had to. I couldnt afford to go and have it done for me. I tried to always get Havoline and Castrol because those were what dad used when he changed his oil. But there were times that I had to get store brands because that was what I could afford. As I stated in my original post I have gotten a little more comfortable in my financial situation now and I bought my wife a pretty nice 2008 Grand Caravan a couple years ago and 2 weeks ago I bought myself a 2004 F150 Lariat Supercrew. Both of the vehicles are by far the nicest vehicles I have ever owned. So thus I came here to look for information on how to best take care of them. While these may not be very high class vehicles to most people they are to me so I want to keep them around for a while.

So for you to say that I have already made my mind up and that I know whats best is what is ridiculous not my OCI. I have not decided that I would do 3k-5k OCI I said that if that was the only reason to go synthetic I would just get the blend and stick with the 3k-5k.The difference between me and the lawnmower guy whatever his name was is that he said he was using M1 and doing the short oil changes. I can see you beating up on him in his thread ( I dont agree with anyone beating up on anyone else in boards but thats my opinion and has no relevance here but I can see it) I have NEVER bought a quart of synthetic or blend and before I did I came here to get educated on the benefits and disadvantages.

Oh and I dont have to read your link or anything else you have said to be open minded about extending my OCI. If I use a synthetic I would certainly got the extra miles in between changes. If i put a Dino in i will change at 5k or whatever my wifes oil minder is set at. I came to figure out if I should go to synthetic not how often to change it.

Now in this post here you said "It cleans better, flows better, transfers heat better, lasts longer, have better and stronger add packs, and represent a formulators best foot forward." Thank you for that information. That is what i was looking for the whole time. If you had said that in the first place you could have saved us both alot of typing.

READ THIS RECENT POST.

OK stop Oil Changer.

You say the wealth of information is forever lost on me. I came here to get the wealth of information. Still trying to understand it and take it in so I hope I havent lost it yet.

You say I have already made up my mind that I will continue to with my ridiculous OCI because I think its best. If I had made up my mind and thought I knew best I wouldnt have came here and asked a question.

You say that you never said the extended OCI was the only benefit. Yea your right you didnt but in this thread You did not give me any other benefits you just came in telling me that I was ridiculous and wasteful because of my 3k-5k OCI. As a matter of fact this is the first time you even mentioned any other benefits in this thread. you may have talked about it in other threads but I have not clicked on your name and read every post you have posted in other places.

Let me make it very clear to you.

I came here because I have been changing my own oil for 22 years. Because I have had to. I couldnt afford to go and have it done for me. I tried to always get Havoline and Castrol because those were what dad used when he changed his oil. But there were times that I had to get store brands because that was what I could afford. As I stated in my original post I have gotten a little more comfortable in my financial situation now and I bought my wife a pretty nice 2008 Grand Caravan a couple years ago and 2 weeks ago I bought myself a 2004 F150 Lariat Supercrew. Both of the vehicles are by far the nicest vehicles I have ever owned. So thus I came here to look for information on how to best take care of them. While these may not be very high class vehicles to most people they are to me so I want to keep them around for a while.

So for you to say that I have already made my mind up and that I know whats best is what is ridiculous not my OCI. I have not decided that I would do 3k-5k OCI I said that if that was the only reason to go synthetic I would just get the blend and stick with the 3k-5k.The difference between me and the lawnmower guy whatever his name was is that he said he was using M1 and doing the short oil changes. I can see you beating up on him in his thread ( I dont agree with anyone beating up on anyone else in boards but thats my opinion and has no relevance here but I can see it) I have NEVER bought a quart of synthetic or blend and before I did I came here to get educated on the benefits and disadvantages.

Oh and I dont have to read your link or anything else you have said to be open minded about extending my OCI. If I use a synthetic I would certainly got the extra miles in between changes. If i put a Dino in i will change at 5k or whatever my wifes oil minder is set at. I came to figure out if I should go to synthetic not how often to change it.

Now in this post here you said "It cleans better, flows better, transfers heat better, lasts longer, have better and stronger add packs, and represent a formulators best foot forward." Thank you for that information. That is what i was looking for the whole time. If you had said that in the first place you could have saved us both alot of typing.

Well said.

Since you're open to longer OCIs, I can reference tig1, who has been doing 10k changes on all his vehicle, with M1, since the 70s. You could probably do the same.

I think you are finding out that we all dont agree all the time
I think syn oils are better in alot of ways and the best way to take advantage of them is to go longer on oil changes
You have get your mind right so to speak-be ok going 12-15k
I think running dino for 5k is also ok as your engine will just fine either way
I run syn in my wifes car and a blend in my truck
You have to sort through stuff here

Originally Posted By: virginoil

READ THIS RECENT POST.

Krunk for 22 years doing your oil changes and vehicles running well who said there is a wealth of lost information. Some of the stuff posted here is best lost at times as it is usually opinionated with some facts.

If you have kept your OEM users manual you can always find the wealth of useful information you require, BITOG is not here to override the OEM guidelines despite UOAs VOAs and names quoted here.

3k OCI is not short if you are operating in extreme conditions oil life monitors in newer vehicles as reported by some members confirm 3k OCI is correct in some instances. Use of full syn is not necessarily better.

By way the what prompted you to believe your oil change regime is outdated or no longer valid because of the thin, syn, loud and stretch it the max crowd ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back