Wow at all the information here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I signed up for the forums here because I have been reading these posts for days and like the title says WOW. Im still as undecided as I was at the beginning. I have changed my own oil for years and always just went with conventional. Usually castrol but then when times were tight store brands and usually from filters. I have now got to a point in my life that I have 2 fairly nice cars for me, one was just bought a couple weeks ago so thus the research started.

My wife has a 08 grand caravan that I usually do Castrol. And I now have a 04 f150 supercrew. I'm going to do hers next couple of days because its time and mine because I am unsure of when it was done last. So should I just stick with conventional or do them both blended or full synthetic? If I do a full synthetic will a wix filter be fine with it? Any info and direction from the oil gurus here would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

What is your current oil change intervals? What are your driving habits and how many miles are on your vehicles? This will help us be able to help you.

You can find some really good cheap oils, super tech or mobil super at walmart are great oils for the money. Nothing wrong with castrol if it's what you like to use. Unless you're doing severe service driving or long ocis, synthetic is usually not needed

Wix filters are a great choice, very rarely (if ever) do you see a bad one.

Wix filters are good and any name brand oil will work fine
If you want to go longer between changes use synthetic oil
I run dino 5-6k and syn 12-15k
If you choose syn make sure you use a filter that can go the same mileage like a Wix XP or Fram Ultra
Anyway,welcome

First of all
welcome2.gif

Enjoy your stay...and remember, there is no "best" oil.

It would help if we knew your driving habits for both vehicles- short trips/hwy ?

And what oil change intervals are you looking to run ?

Last edited:
Welcome!

Beware, Bitog is addictive. We admit it's a sickness we can't overcome so we have bonded together in an effort to be comforted with like minded company.

Tell your wife you love her now. She'll see you less and less.

Words of warning: MMO, Seafoam, B-12 Chemtool, Lucas.

OK let me ask this.I had a feeling I would be going a little overboard with full synthetic since I hadn't really planned on going the extra distance between changes. But I had read here that peoples cars and trucks were running better with at least blended. Increased mpg and no ticks and such. If I go with a blend will the extra cost be worth it if I am still going to change at 3-5k?

Both have around 140k on them. Never any real long trips usually just about 20 to 30 miles a day on both. Weekends get used a for a few more miles on one or the other. Maybe 150 miles on Saturdays and such

Oh yea and I just remembered why I was considering full synthetic. Because the jug of Mobil 1 that I saw (which my understanding is that all Mobil 1 is full synthetic) was not much higher then blends I had seen.

Lot of the driving is on the hwy.

And the whole reason I was ruling out the frams that I have been using is because I read people refer to them as "the orange can of death" on here lol.

Last edited:
Jumping on the crazy BITOG theme LOL

If changing every 3-5k in TN with your driving style, I would stick with the least expensive big name dino...Supertech comes to mind and is good stuff.

No harm in trying a blend, or even a full synthetic. But when going to a full synthetic in a vehicle over 90-100k, expect some seepage or leaking, at least for awhile. My experience with this is in two dino fed leak free engines, one at 95k and the other at about 120. After the change, there was a quarter sized spot in under one .the.mornings for about 3000 miles or so, the other got a wet spot near the main seals, then they both tightened up.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG, krunk!

I have the same generation of F-150 as you; I have a 2001, as you can see in my signature.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Welcome!

Words of warning: MMO, Seafoam, B-12 Chemtool, Lucas.

Hold up...

Hey krunk, let /me/ tell you something...

You should figure out for yourself via research and through a look at multiple selections of well-known members' opinions on subjects like that. Not all members agree on what is "bad" here.

I will agree to two of those being bad. Do know, that is just a personal bias. The two in which I agree are "bad" are Seafoam and Lucas. MOSTLY LUCAS >.< hahaha...

However, I believe that MMO does work well occasionally. It can be used in gas or oil, but do know that it will lower the grade of the oil until it burns off. I also like B12 chemtool's gasoline additives.

On that note... If you use a high quality gasoline, you shouldn't need to worry about adding your own gas additives. But, if the gas you use is not top tier... such as Casey's gas (which unfortunately is the only gas station in my town), then don't be afraid to use a gas additive once in a while.

As far as using oil additives... 9 times out of 10, you won't need to. If you have been religious about changing your oil at good OCI's (intervals), and you've used oil that is API certified, then likely you won't need to use an extra additive.

---

Be aware that most if not all of us are going to have a certain amount of bias. I admit that. As should everyone else who isn't an actual, legitimate lubrication expert (a few members are, though).

Lastly, do enjoy your stay here.

~ Triton

Originally Posted By: krunk

Both have around 140k on them. Never any real long trips usually just about 20 to 30 miles a day on both. Weekends get used a for a few more miles on one or the other. Maybe 150 miles on Saturdays and such

M1 EP + Fram Ultra both for 15k miles / 1 year.

And consider MaxLife for the newly acquired vehicle in case some cleaning is required.

Soo...

From what Im gathering.

Since I plan on doing the OC as I usually do (3-5k). I dont need to spend the extra 10 bucks or so for a jug of M1.

From what Ive read on different posts Motorcraft blend is a good blend to use in them. (I dunno I may have to put a Ford oval somewhere on the dodge).

And then there is the suggestion of Fram from aa1986. I thought Fram filters were frowned on. I also read somewhere (on here I think) that Oreillys branded filter the Microgard is made by Wix but then I have also heard they were made by Fram.

So just to be sure.

As of the time of this posting my plan is to go and buy 2 jugs of Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and 2 microgard filters.
If anyone knows a reason I shouldnt do either of those things post up and let me know.

If anyone knows a reason I shouldnt do either of those things post up and let me know.

Okay...

Even if money is tight, there is no reason not to use synthetic. Top-shelf oil is available in jugs at every Wal-Mart across the country at prices that have outsiders envious.

Wal-Mart sells the Fram Ultra for about $9.00. Buy a couple while you are there.

Then change from your wasteful, ridiculous 3k OCI. Even without UOA, if your engines are mechanically sound, you can easily go 8-10k on a quality synthetic.

Synthetic is always better but dependent on you to utilize all the benefits to maximize value.

Well money being tight isnt the reason for the post. years ago in my life that decided what I bought and what I didnt. As I said in an earlier post though I am now at a point in my life that I can make decisions based on what is best for me and not what I can afford. But at the same time I dont want to go out and through money at something without being educated on why I am buying a certain thing. In my opinion someone that does that will end up buying things purely on what they can afford again.

That was why I have came here to get information on oils and sythetics.

I was hoping to find out if there was added benefits to running synthetics or blends over conventionals other that increasing my "wasteful, ridiculous 3k OCI"

I already knew that people use synthetics because they dont want to have to change their oil every 3k miles. And while it may be nice to wait longer in between, that was not my driving reason to seek out help from the people that talk about this stuff daily and are FAR more educated than I am on the matter. I was wanting to know of any if any other benefits to running synthetics.

With that being said with the posts I have read so far to my little thread here is that oil and filter choices and suggestions are VERY personally opinion driven.

Nothing personal about it, synthetics are always better. All the information that you find so amazing is lost in you if you continue with those ridiculously low OCI's.

Don't worry, even seasoned members ignore the facts.

READ THIS RECENT POST.

With that being said with the posts I have read so far to my little thread here is that oil and filter choices and suggestions are VERY personally opinion driven.

You are well on your way to getting the most out of BITOG by realizing that. Now you just have to figure out which opinions are worth listening to. I've concluded there are about five. Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Nothing personal about it, synthetics are always better. All the information that you find so amazing is lost in you if you continue with those ridiculously low OCI's.

Don't worry, even seasoned members ignore the facts.

READ THIS RECENT POST.

Soo... with the recent post you pointed me too (which I had aleadry read before I joined so I could post) the benefit to synthetic is extended OCI. Ok I got that I knew that before hand. Read it on the bottle. Was wondering if there was really any other benefits to it. I was wanting to know if it actually improved MPG, better conditions seals, keep your enigine clean and more lubricated.

Now stop and reread the end of my last statement there. does it keep engine cleaner and more lubricated.

Im not asking will it keep it cleaner and more lubricated at longer OCI. I figured it would there, thats what its designed for.

So Oil Changer if you are telling me the ONLY benefit to synthetics is increased OCI. Thats fine. Great. That answers my original question.

So by that logic I will get the same result doing a dino oil and changing at 3k as doing a synthetic and changing at 10k

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

You are well on your way to getting the most out of BITOG by realizing that. Now you just have to figure out which opinions are worth listening to. I've concluded there are about five. Good luck.

LOL It didnt take long to figure it out Pete. Which 5 are those? If you dont want to offend people feel free to send it in a message lol

So by that logic I will get the same result doing a dino oil and changing at 3k as doing a synthetic and changing at 10k

That is pretty much it. You could most likely go to 5K on conventional without giving up anything as well.

LOL It didnt take long to figure it out Pete. Which 5 are those? If you dont want to offend people feel free to send it in a message lol

My personal list of those whose opinions I accept without a grain of salt are:

TomNJ
Doug Hillary
Molakule

There are a lot of people here knowledgeable in many areas, but these guys are the real deal as far as having experience actually making and testing motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back