Wounded Warrior Foundation Execs Fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall some mention of Wounded Warrior Foundation as an organization NOT to contribute to if you're interested in helping a "Wounded Warrior/Vet". That far too much of the donated money doesn't go to the vets, but rather the execs, perks, parties, conferences in expensive locations, etc.

Well, the bad press has finally caught up to them and the board fired both Nardizzi & Giordano.

Wounded Warrior Execs Fired

Quote:
The two top executives of Wounded Warrior Project were fired Thursday by the board of directors.

Americans donate hundreds of millions of dollars each year to the charity, expecting their money will help some of the 52,000 wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But CBS News found Wounded Warrior Project spends 40 to 50 percent on overhead, including extravagant parties. Other veterans charities have overhead costs of 10 to 15 percent.

Wounded Warrior Project's Chief Executive Officer, Steven Nardizzi, and Chief Operating Officer, Al Giordano, were fired after a meeting Thursday afternoon in New York.
Former employees also told us the excessive spending began when Nardizzi took over as CEO in 2009. They point to the 2014 annual meeting at a luxury resort in Colorado Springs as typical of his style.

"He rappelled down the side of a building. He's come in on a Segway. He's come in on a horse."

Nardizzi has defended the charity's spending. "If your only fixation is spending the most on programs, that's feeling good, but not necessarily doing good," he said.

WW Press Release

So, when's the board going to be replaced that hired these narcissists and why has it taken them 6yrs to do something?

It's said there is a special place in Hades for those who abuse widows, orphans & children. I'd add those that abuse vets who served our country and took advantage of them when they arrived home, wounded and no longer whole.

Good riddance.....

I would like to give them a severance package.

the entire non profit system, including televangelists and mega churches are farces. sure those were two small examples, but it wont stop the real problem.

If you want to help, do it face to face. There are lots of ways to help from giving a ride, buying an airplane ticket and picking up a hotel bill or a meal. A handshake and a thank you for your service helps, too.

We recently fixed up a car that we purchased for a wounded Marine and with the help of a fabrication ship, modified it so it can be driven by the guy with no legs. About 10 of us did the work along with the help of the fab shop and a repair shop on the weekend when they were otherwise closed.

Part of the goal was to get this Marine out of his "I'm messed up" mind set to getting him out and about on his own. We gave him some traveling money and chased him out of town to visit his 80 something year old mother in Texas by driving there on his own.

The trip was a roaring success. He brought his mother back with him. They had a great time on the trip. Now he's talking about moving back in with her while he finishes his surgery stuff and remodeling the family home, doing the work himself.

Mission accomplished by direct contact. No executives, no administrative expenses.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you want to help, do it face to face. There are lots of ways to help from giving a ride, buying an airplane ticket and picking up a hotel bill or a meal. A handshake and a thank you for your service helps, too.

We recently fixed up a car that we purchased for a wounded Marine and with the help of a fabrication ship, modified it so it can be driven by the guy with no legs. About 10 of us did the work along with the help of the fab shop and a repair shop on the weekend when they were otherwise closed.

Part of the goal was to get this Marine out of his "I'm messed up" mind set to getting him out and about on his own. We gave him some traveling money and chased him out of town to visit his 80 something year old mother in Texas by driving there on his own.

The trip was a roaring success. He brought his mother back with him. They had a great time on the trip. Now he's talking about moving back in with her while he finishes his surgery stuff and remodeling the family home, doing the work himself.

Mission accomplished by direct contact. No executives, no administrative expenses.

Thank you ! I am now going to actively look for ways I can help directly.

Absolutely do it directly.

For many charities, sending them money is only marginally more effective at helping others than would be burning your money in the street.

Good.

I was highly critical of WWP on BITOG months ago. The executive compensation, the lavish parties, first class travel, the focus on "growing the business" and the small percentage of the $$ that went to actual Warriors were all unacceptable.

There are some good charities out there.

Perhaps WWP will become one. I like their cause, but I can't condone the small percentage of funds that they spend on the vets.

When I joined TI out of college, I was told that they supported United Way and I could have money taken out of my paycheck to donate if I wished. It seemed like such a nice thing to do, so I gave 1% or whatever.
Within a few years, it had morphed into a competition between product groups to have the highest participation and then give more and more. I withdrew my support and explained to the manager who was walking around harassing people several times a week that it was because UW support went from being voluntary to mandatory. Why didn't TI give 10% of its profits to UW? Oh, right, TI was never profitable then. 10% of revenues, then?
Years later, the story about the UW execs living high on the hog broke...I wished that I had never given them a dime.

Got a call a few years ago from a Native American charity, young kid making a pitch about how they were helping him go to college and all. I was in a good mood and gave them $100 or whatever. They started targeting me with aggressive mailings, at which point I did my research and found that less than 50% of donations went to programs and several people with dubious titles were making over $100,000/year "running" that "charity". I hope that $30-40 of what I gave helped somebodyin need and it didn't all go to those who exploit misery.

It is so hard to make sure your money isn't being wasted unless you know the people involved. I helped support my sister until she passed away, our niece needs help but spends so much of the money she gets on booze and (probably) weed. We try to send baby clothes and other needed items instead of money. We go nuts on the Toys 4 Tots kind of stuff, the wife and kid work at the food pantry and bring items and money when they go. I always feel we should/could do more, but at least we make some effort...

Last edited:
I guess none of these organizations are exempt from greed and the corruption...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I guess none of these organizations are exempt from greed and the corruption...

There are some good charities out there, doing fine work and genuinely helping. I give regularly to several (I sponsor a couple of children through one, for example) and while I hesitate to go OT by naming them, not all charities are like WWP.

I was vocal in my criticism of WWP on this forum a few months back precisely because WWP focused on themselves, instead of helping the wounded warriors.

I hope that this shake-up at the top is the beginning of real change at WWP...but until I am convinced that WWP is focused on wounded warriors, they won't get a dime from me.

One of better charities is "Food Kitchen". We volunteer there to serve homeless, we usually bring some with use and gave it to the homeless directly.

They didn't get fired for what they did but got fired for the bad publicity. The Board knows about these things as they are the ones setting the road map.

... We recently fixed up a car that we purchased for a wounded Marine and with the help of a fabrication ship, modified it so it can be driven by the guy with no legs. About 10 of us did the work along with the help of the fab shop and a repair shop on the weekend when they were otherwise closed....

I hope there is some way you could write this off from your taxes. It's probably not a registered charity, but if it was brokered through your church or some similar manner, you could write off your time and expenses. It's be nice if the government could help ease the pain of giving in this case.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
... We recently fixed up a car that we purchased for a wounded Marine and with the help of a fabrication ship, modified it so it can be driven by the guy with no legs. About 10 of us did the work along with the help of the fab shop and a repair shop on the weekend when they were otherwise closed....

I hope there is some way you could write this off from your taxes. It's probably not a registered charity, but if it was brokered through your church or some similar manner, you could write off your time and expenses. It's be nice if the government could help ease the pain of giving in this case.

One of our group is an attorney and she takes care of all that stuff. Another member of our group was audited two years ago and he really went off on the auditor when he was accused of "cheating" on his taxes. He assembled our group and the Marine at the next meeting along with receipts and forms, work notes including our attorney. This agent was difficult to convince. By his attitude he was convinced we were all cheats and liars and was only too happy to keep telling us he was in charge and could do as he pleased. Finally a supervisor got involved and the income tax filing was accepted right down to the last dollar.

It's my opinion that some government employees are getting too big for their britches and us ordinary citizens just get in their way.

One of our group is an attorney and she takes care of all that stuff. Another member of our group was audited two years ago and he really went off on the auditor when he was accused of "cheating" on his taxes. He assembled our group and the Marine at the next meeting along with receipts and forms, work notes including our attorney. This agent was difficult to convince. By his attitude he was convinced we were all cheats and liars and was only too happy to keep telling us he was in charge and could do as he pleased. Finally a supervisor got involved and the income tax filing was accepted right down to the last dollar.

It's my opinion that some government employees are getting too big for their britches and us ordinary citizens just get in their way.

Do you remember "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely" ?

Some government employees think that they have absolute power over ordinary citizens, and they can do anything they want.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
They didn't get fired for what they did but got fired for the bad publicity. The Board knows about these things as they are the ones setting the road map.

BINGO!

That's why the board needs to go as well. Birds of a feather nest together. No doubt they were at all the expensive conferences. After all, they approved...for years.

Organizations such as this need to have their org-charts inverted: The Wounded Warriors, need to be at the top. After all, not only is the organization named after them, but it was (originally) formed to serve them. The "officers", "politicians" and "supervising board" should be at the bottom, organizing & supervising the "foundation" towards the end of best serving their customers at the top.

Obviously, they got this backwards........

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Do you remember "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely" ?

Some government employees think that they have absolute power over ordinary citizens, and they can do anything they want.

I work for the gov and I don't know anyone in my agency who thinks this way...we are civil servants and we work for the public...too bad those in Congress and the White House don't think the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back