Wouldn't it be nice if bolts had the socket size on them?

Was viewing another post here with this photo,

img_5588-copy-jpg.142034

and see the bolts marked "8". I assume that doesn't mean they are M8 bolts but refer to the grade. Anyway, how convenient would it be to have the socket size put on the heads? How often does even a seasoned mechanic reach for socket or wrench only find out they are a little off, and they have to get another one?

years of practice and brand familiarity come into play here.

can fix BMW , Mercedes , vw ect in my sleep give me a chevy and im back and fourth several times for the correct size of tool

This chart gives you an accurate idea of what the head size should be….as long as you have an idea of what size fasteners are being used for an assembly.

F7A54F19-C6E5-4E44-AA74-B2FD5ECC7BA2.jpg

Thanks for the chart Critic.
Few can remember the national paralysis incurred before the laser etched socket set. KIDDING kidding!

Just added production steps. An attractive option in a way.

Would you pay more for a car with that feature, because marking every bolt size would make it cost more.

The "8" mark is the strength of the metal, which cannot readily be determined in the field.

Would you pay more for a car with that feature, because marking every bolt size would make it cost more.

The "8" mark is the strength of the metal, which cannot readily be determined in the field.
Well, apparently they are already marked, so you wouldn't pay any more than you do now.

Nope. See Eric O of South Main always griping about reaching for the wrong size.
I've watched so many of his videos I think what he does is try and remember what size certain fasteners on certain cars on certain parts are .... and he gets it wrong sometimes. It always seems to be a fastener facing the other direction that he can't see fully.

When I'm going to work on the Acura, I grab the odd metric tools.

For the Lexus, the even metric tools; along with:
  • deep sockets
  • standard sockets
  • every extension
  • both 1/4" and 3/8" drive
  • long, short, obstruction, offset, flare nut wrenches
Under the hood, there's so much stuff in the way of the thing I'm trying to remove, I'm constantly swapping sockets/extensions.

Back