Would you use hm oil in 2009 scion with 51500 miles

Who said it was "so great"? You're reading into my post things that weren't said.
You said its fine in a new car and wont hurt, if so, my question is why those extra seal conditioners are not marketed for newer cars to get good preventative protection starting with day1? Or is it one of those things that dont hurt but dont necessarily help when there is no issue?

You said its fine in a new car and wont hurt, if so, my question is why those extra seal conditioners are not marketed for newer cars to get good preventative protection starting with day1? Or is it one of those things that dont hurt but dont necessarily help when there is no issue?
Do you carry $200 in your wallet everywhere you go? That money may be useful in case you're somewhere and needed to buy something expensive. But might not be needed all the time.
And way oil makers should infuse all the HM components in every oil when not purpose directed or marketed towards a given service segment?

I said this previously and is Germain to this discussion as well.
Whether or not it increases seal conditioners or any other part of the chemistry, as long as it's an API SP oil (for example) it must fall within all parameters of that specification before being labeled API SP. In other words, the API limits how much of any ingredient may be used. Just like oils meeting viscosity. There's a viscosuty range for every "weight". There are thicker and thinner variants of say a 5W-30 depending on manufacturer and often times within a manufacturer's portfolio of products. The same goes for seal conditioners.

Great, all I hear is that if I’ve been using quality synthetic oil brand with proper OCI since the engine first day, I shall continue using the same brand even when my car is 75k miles or more if I dont have any issues. Sorry, but unless you have an issue, HM oil is just a snake oil.

Last edited:
Great, all I hear is that if I’ve been using quality synthetic oil brand with proper OCI since the engine first day, I shall continue using the same brand even when my car is 75k miles or more if I dont have any issues. Sorry, but unless you have an issue, HM oil is just a snake oil.
So you think that there's no such chemicals in oils that help condition rubber seals?

My amateur opinion of HM oils is that they do have additional chemicals that condition seals, which the chemists have determined tend to break down at about 5-7 years which is about 75k miles for the average driver putting 12-15k miles annual on a vehicle. WHY these might not be in regular oils is probably b/c they are not necessary because the rubber is newer and fresher and doesn't require conditioning.

Probably different formulations for different requirements given the study of typical aging motors. I don't see how it's snake oil, if it's targeted to what engines need. But as others stated, any oil rated "API SN" or whatever, then it must meet that standard.

So you think that there's no such chemicals in oils that help condition rubber seals?
No, HM oils do have additional chemicals to condition/swell seals. Thats why sometimes when there is small leak they help. But I do think HM oils are not necessary provided that engine was well maintained with quality synthetics and frequent oil changes and exhibits no leaks. As someone mentioned, any oil that meets API SP, will have all the necessary additives that satisfy engine seal conditioning.

Last edited:
No, HM oils do have additional chemicals to condition/swell seals. Thats why sometimes when there is small leak they help. But I do think HM oils are not necessary provided that engine was well maintained with quality synthetics and frequent oil changes and exhibits no leaks. As someone mentioned, any oil that meets API SP, will have all the necessary additives that satisfy engine seal conditioning.

Why do folks always assume an engine has necessarily been "well maintained?" Millions of cars are sold/bought as used cars with relatively unknown service history and 10+ years old with 75K or more miles. These cars might very well not be "well maintained" and therefore can benefit from HM oils with seal conditioners.

The constant argument/point about "doesn't need it if it's well maintained" baffles me.

Regardless, HM oils seem like good preventative measures as a vehicle ages. YMMV and just my opinion.

Because some people here are first owners and been religious with oil changes from day1.
My one car is 110k miles now, only seen mobil1 EP, I am first owner, I am not going to just start using HM because its over 75k, zero reasons to do it.

Back