Would you use hm oil in 2009 scion with 51500 miles

I own 2009 scion xd with 51500 miles.
I do regular syn oil changes. Would a high mileage oil benefit the car since its 12 yrs old?
No problems with engine or oil consumption yet. Im thinking hm oil might be preventive due to age. IDK
Thanks

Max life is a good oil. It's not going to hurt anything. I was talking to a guy he uses 5W20 Valvoline maxlife in a brand new Dodge caravan. I personally use Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend...

Last edited:
If your car isn't using any oil it probably won't benefit from HM oil. Nor will HM hurt it. I have gone back and forth between HM and non-HM on both my cars (2007 Cad and 2012 Honda) for a long time. Use whatever synthetic oil is on sale. Or the one with the flashiest jug.

I used to get Chevron High Mileage motor oil for a song on Amazon, I put that in everything including new cars. So long as it meets the specs and grade you need, why not. I think I paid $9 for a 5 quart jug.

You know on occasion I run HM oil in the Corolla. Never have seen any negative effects doing this. I switch back and forth. What the determining factor. Of course its the one that on sale with a rebate. The last Pennzoil HM I did this with I got for $4 a jug after sale and rebate. Oh it was even out of spec it was 5W-20 rather than 5W-30. Ran it two years ago as my winter OCI!

The magic number is 75,000 miles but for a car that is 13 years old I see no reason not to start a bit early.
Yea. I thought with age the seals might benefit from a hm oil.
Thanks

Why is there a magic number?

It was an internal Valvoline argument over whether Maxlife should say "100K" or "50K" when they developed the product and marketing in the 1990's. The "75,000" mark was the happy medium. That said there isn't much reason for going HM unless you're starting to weep oil as all oils have some seal conditioners.

Yeah sure dump it in, nothing bad's gonna happen. They usually put a smidge of seal conditioners which wouldn't really hurt a new engine either. if it isn't leaking it still helps to soften them a bit which can keep them sealing longer.

It was an internal Valvoline argument over whether Maxlife should say "100K" or "50K" when they developed the product and marketing in the 1990's. The "75,000" mark was the happy medium. That said there isn't much reason for going HM unless you're starting to weep oil as all oils have some seal conditioners.
If you run an oil analysis on it, the Valvoline Max life synthetic blend has a lot of Molly in it compared to the standard synthetic blend. That is probably due to the recent SP additive package they put in. That might be one reason to run it, even if you don't have any oil leaks.. they had Molly in it originally. They took it out and they started putting it back in again.. to my knowledge.

M1 ESP 5W30.
Before it's too late.
Consider yourself lucky.
Oil consumption is a process not an event.
Especially true with your particular vehicle.

I guess my question when ever these threads come up is "why wait". A lot of guys here change out parts before they break or start having issues as a preventative, I don't see any difference here.

I dont think HM has any more preventative properties than non HM. Its a solution for a problem.

Back