Would you use free Oil from a brand you dont know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if you are real curious, shake a jug up, pour some in a sample thing and send it for a VOA. I have some late 70's and mid 70's SAE 30 PYB I'm going to VOA on

Originally Posted By: Valentine
Oil was purchased from a vendor in spring of 2015. API label says it's an "SN" product. I'm thinking this is a GO. Woo Hoo!

-Valentine

I've used Smitty's Super S 5w-30 from KMart and it's fine. Smitty's is a bigger wholesale and blending operation than many people think. Use it in your 2008 Explorer without reservation. With what you're saving on oil, be sure not to skimp on the oil filter.

Some people have the best luck with free oil. Only stuff I ever scored for free was non detergent 30 and some old SH oil.

Originally Posted By: Valentine
It didn't fall off a truck. A friend bought a supply of it and placed it in a storage unit which he used as a garage. He's been transferred overseas for a few years and asked me to clean out the unit for him. He told me to take all of the consumable supplies because he's not sure when he'll be back. So, I suppose, I'm not really getting it for free because I'm cleaning the storage unit out. He's a friend so I would have helped him anyway but I'd like to use the oil if some of you guys tell me it's worth using.
CT8- curious why you said you'd use it if it were a different type of Smitty's?
Zach- It's in 5 quart jugs. I think he got a killer deal on it and that's why he took so much.

-Valentine
The oil tested isn't the exact one you asked about. Looking at the PQIA tested oil it meets specs.

I am currently running it in my Explorer in signature. Oil was purchased while on sale at K-mart for $8.48 after tax for the 5quart jugs which I have a huge stash of as now. I have ran it multiple times already in the Explorer for 5000 mile intervals with NO problems. Run that with a FL820s all day & nite!!!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: splinter
I'm seldom too proud to save a buck. And free is free!

No 'free' oil in my good engines. Neighbor's lawnmower...maybe.

lol. If it's unopened then I see no problem.

Well I tell ya what.. If you find any Sunoco Ultra full synthetic then go buy some. I have been running it in my Altima and its been very good thus far. It's Dexos approved, ACEA A1/A5, API SN, ILSAC GF-5. AT $5 A QUART its really a good deal for a non big name synthetic. Viscosity Index of 165, HTHS of 3.1, pour point of -45°F, TBN over 8. I'm about 1500 miles in so far running it. I will report back what I think as time goes on. Past 2k miles is what separates the average from the good and best from the rest. So we will see. But, I'm very pleased thus far with how good its done to this point
smile.gif

Thank you all for your input. First 5 quarts went into the crankcase today. Motor sounded great upon start up. No explosions or catastrophic failures of any kind. Looks like I'm all set with oil changes for this vehicle for a while.

-Valentine

A number of members before you have tried this oil and reported good results.
Smitty's enjoyed a brief spurt of popularity here, no doubt helped by the giveaway pricing Menard's and Kmart offered it for.
It's an API SN oil, so it's fine for most applications.
Maybe not an extended drain oil, but for the price that doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back