Would you use free Oil from a brand you dont know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have an opportunity to get about 25 gallons of Smitty's Super S Synthetic blend 5w-30 for free. I have not found much info on the oil or the company itself but if I believe what's on the label, it should be okay for my 2008 Explorer. I normally wouldn't buy this stuff on my own, but it's hard to argue with FREE. Need some opinions, please. Thanks.

-Valentine

You could get and sell it if you do not want to use it to get money for better oil.

It didn't fall off a truck. A friend bought a supply of it and placed it in a storage unit which he used as a garage. He's been transferred overseas for a few years and asked me to clean out the unit for him. He told me to take all of the consumable supplies because he's not sure when he'll be back. So, I suppose, I'm not really getting it for free because I'm cleaning the storage unit out. He's a friend so I would have helped him anyway but I'd like to use the oil if some of you guys tell me it's worth using.
CT8- curious why you said you'd use it if it were a different type of Smitty's?
Zach- It's in 5 quart jugs. I think he got a killer deal on it and that's why he took so much.

-Valentine

Last edited:
I've used Smitty's oil and would do so again.

Only worry in your case is the age/spec of the oil and how it was stored. For that much I would send a sample off to be tested and if its good then run it.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I've used Smitty's oil and would do so again.

Only worry in your case is the age/spec of the oil and how it was stored. For that much I would send a sample off to be tested and if its good then run it.

Testing unused oil?,only on bitog.

If it's sn or sm why not. I've used the non high mileage smitty's and couldn't tell a difference in that and Valvoline full syn.

Some of you are just paranoid, oil protects in an engine for thousands of miles in every temp imaginable yet you're afraid of sealed oil that may have gotten a chill this past winter inside of a jug, what do you think happens to it isnside your engine in Minnesota or Florida?

Originally Posted By: Valentine

CT8- curious why you said you'd use it if it were a different type of Smitty's?

You wrote your Smitty's was syn-blend. Oil tested by PQIA and posted by CT8 was Smitty's high mileage oil.

Oil was purchased from a vendor in spring of 2015. API label says it's an "SN" product. I'm thinking this is a GO. Woo Hoo!

-Valentine

I have smittys that's older than that going into the Highlander next week, i have zero hesitation.

I have some Smitty's Super Syn Blend in 5W20 ready to go in my Civic. At $1.79/qt, the price was right. If you have 100 qts of it, that is a lot of oil changes. Another suggestion would be to keep enough for a few oil changes in your Explorer, then donate the rest to a group that assists low-income seniors/disabled with basic car maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back