Would you start using Synpower at 196,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Mazda Protégé that I bought when it had 128,000 miles on it. Since then, I have changed the oil every 5k with Valvoline conventional 10w30. I would like to use Synpower in it since I already use that in another vehicle and it would save from stocking 2 different oils in my garage. I also would like the cold weather protection this winter.

What I don't want is a leak. I am not sure of the maintaince history prior to my buying it with 128,000 miles on it. There is a bit varnish in the valve cover, but nothing out of the ordinary for the 196,000 miles it has on it now.

What would you do? Stick to the conventional or go with Synpower?

Go for it! 5W30 especially if you are looking for better cold weather performance.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Go for it! 5W30 especially if you are looking for better cold weather performance.
+1

Shouldn't be a problem but since it's the first time I would shorten the OCI due to the cleaning ability of synthetic.

If you're worried about exposing a leak, and still want to use synthetic why not use Maxlife Full Synthetic. Best of both. Or just keep using what you have been, seems to be working great.

No. Instead, use Maxlife Synthetic.

The only way I'd use Synpower is when it goes on sale at Napa (their house brand synthetic is rebranded Synpower)

But even if it does leak, it probably isn't difficult to change out the valve cover gasket (where high mileage engines usually leak from). Be glad you don't have a V6, because transverse V6's are impossible to access the rear bank!

My 99 mini van is in the driveway with a tray under the engine to collect the oil. Switched to synthetic last fall with 178,000 miles on. Nothing can stop the leaks now.

I will never switch to synthetic oil again on a vehicle more than 7 years old. Just one of the reasons I'm scrapping it now.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
But even if it does leak, it probably isn't difficult to change out the valve cover gasket (where high mileage engines usually leak from).

I put a new valve cover gasket on when I did the timing belt right after I bought it. I was more worried about the front or rear main seal leaking. I really don't feel like pulling the transmission to fix a possible leak.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My 99 mini van is in the driveway with a tray under the engine to collect the oil. Switched to synthetic last fall with 178,000 miles on. Nothing can stop the leaks now.

I will never switch to synthetic oil again on a vehicle more than 7 years old. Just one of the reasons I'm scrapping it now.

Had this same experience on a truck. Used Kendall 10W-30 for the first 13 years, until the truck has 180,000 miles on it. Religiously changed at 3,000 miles. This vehicle did not leak at all, never used a drop of oil. I never had to add to it. I'd even check it right before a change.

For some stupid reason I switched to a semi-synthetic, and the leaking began. Switched to Maxlife 10w-30 attempting to stop the oil leaks to no avail. Went to Maxlife 20w-50 thinking that a thicker oil might help.... not a chance.

After this experience, my thoughts are, if it has over 75,000 miles or so, I'd never switch to synthetic.

I chickened out. I went to wallmart and picked up a jug of Valvoline conventional 10w30. Same thing I have been using since I bought it.

I figure this car will probably rust out before the engine gives me problems anyway.

It stinks that you have a leak now but it isn't always that way. I switched over a friends 99 Sienna van to synthetic two years ago at 180k and it currently has 240k on it and the bottom of the engine is dry. It saw conventional up until I started changing it for them.

What vehicle? What engine? Any work done around the time the leak started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back