Would you start using Synpower at 196,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
I chickened out. I went to wallmart and picked up a jug of Valvoline conventional 10w30. Same thing I have been using since I bought it.

I figure this car will probably rust out before the engine gives me problems anyway.

Why not 5w30? You have nothing to lose.

I've found no new leaks after going to synthetic in my '99 Passat with 155k. Previous owner always used the cheapest oil.

The existing weep from the oil pan didn't change either. All things remained the same.

Just a thought... If the supposed leaks from synthetic thing is from cleaning sludge and deposits from seals that were plugging leaks... And you got a leak.. It would serve to reason that there was gunk elsewhere in the engine too. IMO it would he better to develop a leak due to this than to drive with said gunk on an oil that wont remove it

Last edited:
Stick with conventional. IMHO, switching to synthetic will only cause problems if there is a leak, etc. If you're overly-worried, try some PYB.

I chickened out. I went to wallmart and picked up a jug of Valvoline conventional 10w30. Same thing I have been using since I bought it.

I figure this car will probably rust out before the engine gives me problems anyway.

Not chickening out, wise decision.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay

wink.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: Hermann

wink.gif

+1

+2

If I had it to do over again for a high mileage vehicle , I would stick to a name brand SN rated conventional oil in the proper grade for my vehicle , use a NAPA Silver / Wix oil filter (for coneventional oils) and keep OCI's to a respectable 3,000 ~ 4,000 miles ...Let the engine clean itself up s-l-o-w-l-y !

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Why not 5w30? You have nothing to lose.

I see a couple of you are recommending 5w30. The car specs 10w30... would you still use 5w30 anyway? Both summer and winter or just winter?

+3

I tried synthetic for over 100,000 miles in my truck and eventually went back to conventional after the truck turned 200k. Since switching back and going about 52k so far, the truck runs and sounds a little quieter (GM piston slap noise). So for me, conventional is a winner since I had 1 main reason to switch. OCI still went by OLM for both oils.

I run 5w30 during winter and still use 10w30 during hotter months. Personally, I would keep doing what you have been doing, but if you wanted to try synthetic over winter, you could atleast see for yourself any benefits.
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Originally Posted By: Hermann

wink.gif

+1

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back