Would you refill/recycle motor oil containers if service was available?

We love our oil changes, and we get our clothes dirty when doing same....

If the major oil refinery motor oil products could be obtained at your local auto parts stores in 10 litre / quart containers that you would bring back for refilling, would you support? would you support if there was no cost savings, but you knew it was better for Earth?

Same idea as above, but at the grocery store, for laundry detergent? would you do it even if it might be messier? would you do it with no cost savings?

What ideas do you have to make a change to reduce plastic packaging wastes?

I like the plastic bags in a box that Havoline uses for the 6 quart containers. I think I also saw some larger ones with Super Tech at WalMart. I wouldn't want to take a container back to be refilled.

The 5 quart containers work well for me. I keep 0w20, 5w20, 5w30 and 5w40 Rotella T on hand.
I suppose I could purchase the 0w20and 5w30 as they are the most used.
Recycling oil is a snap here; we have curbside and milk jugs are provided.

I am willing to do what's right even if it is a little more hassle.

Yes. Before the virus hit, I’ve seen people at Whole Foods and another well-known local grocery store buy bulk food, DI/alkaline water and bulk Dr. Bronner’s soap. If the price is right, I wouldn’t mind buying a carboy of oil at a time.

Yes I would gladly do that for motor oil, washer fluid and laundry detergent I would just bring some saran wrap to seal the caps better. If the pricing for oil was an everyday lower price I wouldn't need to keep 8+ plus jugs when I buy them on sale.

Honestly we all need to rethink how we are damaging the environment. We can't just turn a blind eye to all of this.

I pour my used oil back into the container and drop it off at Walmart or wherever. I’d definitely do it for something like laundry detergent though.

Kind of want to see bottled water go away. If you don’t like your tap/well water there are filtration and distillation options available.

Personally I would if they can price match the local discount of other brand. Once you are locked into a brand or service then it is hard to find deals.

I would do that. Kinda like candy/mixed nuts...take your container and put it under the Castrol Edge or PP 5w30 spout and have it shoot out 6qts exactly would be legit. Kinda like the water stations at walmart or wherever.

Would be neat to have like a 10 qt container and you could have it filled with whatever amount your vehicle uses.
No partial bottles laying around if you have an oddball size sump, no having to buy a 5 qt just and 2 singles for your 7 qt sump.

I would need an incentive to do it though, cheaper price and convenience would be something that could sway me.

Would be an interesting business model, similar to the big water bottle refill stations stores have.
You would need a specific jug though, to many variations in current jugs to make it work correctly (and maybe some laws regarding labeling?).
But buying a dedicated 5 or 10 qt jug for a few bucks that you can re-use multiple times would work, just put the jug in the slot, make your selection of what oil and how much, and the machine can do the rest.
Problem with it is the liability, some idiot puts something in the bottle they should not, then get it filled with oil with the residue still in it, it ruins the engine and they sue (no idea what that could be that would do that, but I am sure someone would find a way).

I would if the price was right. But clearance oil has kept me stocked.

There would probably only be generic synthetic 0w20 and 5w30 to start with, maybe exotic flavors from exotic car dealers. But that would be a missed marketing opportunity, letting you think you have something special in its exciting packaging.

Walmart has seemingly decided the 10 quart wine boxes are the way to go-- their logistics depend on their trucking fleet with everything on pallets and bringing a tanker into the mix would likely not make sense to them. We'd need somewhere that oil gets delivered in bulk that's still accessible to consumers-- I'm thinking, truck stops.

We love our oil changes, and we get our clothes dirty when doing same....

If the major oil refinery motor oil products could be obtained at your local auto parts stores in 10 litre / quart containers that you would bring back for refilling, would you support? would you support if there was no cost savings, but you knew it was better for Earth?

Same idea as above, but at the grocery store, for laundry detergent? would you do it even if it might be messier? would you do it with no cost savings?

What ideas do you have to make a change to reduce plastic packaging wastes?

You can buy powder laundry detergent and recycle the cardboard box it comes in.
If you own a diesel pickup or vehicle, you can buy DEF at the pump at most truck stops and save a little money, too.

You can recycle the containers so I guess I’m not really seeing it.

You also need a container to put the waste oil in.

They used to do this back in the day with milk and reused the bottles. I think the early to mid 70’s is when they stopped doing that around here.

I would do it and it makes sense because Id make one trip instead of two.

That's a cost and time savings in and of itself.

Good for the earth, and good for me. A rare combo.

Back