Would you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a person that tends to try to accomplish the items on my bucket list. I just turned 45 years old and I want to rent a Porsche to cruise the autobahns in Germany for a week.

Oktoberfest is coming up, I have gotten the quote for the Porsche 911, but it's pricey. I once paid the price to fly the Concorde to London just so I could experience flying at Mach 2. It was a very fascinating experience.. but cost me $1600 dollars for a 3 hr and 18 minute flight.

The Porsche will cost me $2500 dollars for 7 days. It's high, but a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

My question... do you guys think it's worth it? My only drawback is that they limit me to 120 miles per day. My trip will involve flying to Stuttgart, driving to Berlin for business, then driving down to Munich for Oktoberfest and ultimately ending up back in Stuttgart. With that many highways miles my drives in the alps will be limited.

What do you think?

I want to do the same thing(but not in Germany, but with a Porsche). I wouldn't do it just for the fact they are limiting your mileage. For that price I'd better be able drive as much as I want so long as I bring it back with a full tank.

For around the same price of a Porsche you may have other alternatives.

I don't know what model is the 911 but I'd guess it's a base model. I've rented some pretty nice cars in Europe but the Porsche just seems like the vehicle to use.

The most fun I've had was in a 5 series BMW that I cruised all over the place. I picked it up in Salzburg, Austria, and traveled through Switzerland and back to Germany. I have actually gotten the top-speed thrill out of my veins but it's still a very fun experience to blast down the highway in such a capable vehicle.

I once dogged a Ferrari 360 when I had a rented 1.4 liter VW Golf. I got to see the Ferrari driver get serious with the throttle and show some true highway superiority. I actually caught back up to him when he had stopped for fuel.

But, it's all in the name of fun.

It's your money and your dream. If you want to go for it and can afford to do so, by all means make it happen.

If you think you'll run out of miles allowed then it might be more fun to pick a slightly less capable vehicle if they will give you more miles. It won't be much fun when you have to quit driving to avoid the miles limit. Can you pay for more miles in the Porche?

Personally I wouldn't do it but I don't have a bucket list either. I had plenty of fun driving a VW Passat wagon with a diesel and a 6-speed manual when I was there. Mostly I was just wishing I could buy one of those here. Depending on weather and traffic you don't always get much time for high speed cruising.

If it was on my bucket list, and I had budgeted the necessary monies for it, I would do it.

We only have one life to live.

Yes, do it.

Allow for a few extra miles to cover the roads you want to drive, it won't set you back that much when you look at the whole picture.

Sounds like a great idea, wish I could do it.

Originally Posted By: PT1
If you have the cash and it is on your bucket list...I say go for it.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
It's a once in a lifetime experience!

Can you afford to BUY one? Does Porsche have a European Delivery program like BMW and others? You take delivery in Europe and the program usually includes insurance for 30 days. You drive it around and then drop it off to be shipped to the US.

One of my dreams is to do this sort of thing with a Porsche or BMW, drive around, including "The Ring" and then ship the car home.

Much if not all of the trip costs are "paid" in the savings on the vehicle. Shipping is included in these deals or was the last time I checked.

This is an empty nester goal, once the kids are out of the house.

I will have to find out what the cost is for their 'over limit mileage'.

You would not believe the difference between picking the car up at the airport versus picking it up at their downtown location - it's nearly $700. That's a heck of a airport surcharge.

I'm going to get the exacting details this week and make my decision. As for the comment about buying one.. I don't really care to own a vehicle like this. They're incredible but I'm much too conservative of a person to own such a machine. Even if I were filthy rich I don't know that I'd buy one. Renting for a week might satisfy my appetite.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Do it before you are too old. Then it's all "Wish I had done it when I was younger and in good health."

Looking back with regrets is difficult. I'm a firm believer in the idea that you do something purely for entertainment value once in a while. Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back