Would you like the ability to make article type posts?

Would you like the ability to make article type posts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wwillson

Staff member
All,

We would like to get your opinion on a proposed new forums feature. Xenforo has the ability to make the first post in a thread be an "article" post. The article post is formatted differently to allow for more space and better handling of photos. The original poster information is removed on the left, so the focus is entirely on the article. You can see an example article post here:

There are no photos in my article post, but you get the idea.

The use of article posts would be limited to special cases, such as a single article post for all of the oil analysis history of your vehicle. You could make an article post for the first oil analysis, then edit the original post later and add the next UOA when you get the results.

Another use case could be for long educational articles such as those written by Overkill, Molekule, TomNJ, Clinebarger and others.

What I see in your towing article is that the editing time has been extended--so you can go back and implement suggestions from others into your OP/article. That is nice.
EDIT: ok you mentioned that already, but still it is a good feature for something like this.

I would leave it as is. Instead, the moderators should ease up, stop sensoring and shutting down threads. Yes, many times it is warranted but so many times it is not.

I'm not sure what this brings to the table.. just no name at left side and can be longer?
It looks cleaner and is wider so there is less scrolling on long articles.

Who gets to approve articles
Posting the original content would be no different than a normal thread, you would just select type "article". The idea is that the article format would be used for longer content that the OP would like to edit over time. If someone were to post an article and it is really just a normal post, then we would simply convert it to a post. Existing posts can also be converted to articles if appropriate.

Back