Would you guys use a Motorcraft filter on a Subaru?

Wife's 2021 WRX came with a Subaru 15208AA170 filter. Lookup at Champ Labs says PH2808, both by vehicle application and by cross reference to the Subaru part number. My understanding is that Motorcraft FL-810 is made by Champ, and Champ's cross reference also says FL-810 matches PH2808.

Is the FL-810 identical to the PH2808? Would you use it on the Subie?

Motorcraft oil filters are made by Purolator.

The OE Subaru oil filter is actually made by Fram, but Subaru uses a higher spec bypass that Fram doesn't sell aftermarket :unsure:

The best aftermarket oil filter for your WRX is Wix/Napa Gold or Wix XP/Napa Platinum

If it was a FL500S, I would. But not the FL820S. They often don't look good when cut open and have too many reports of tearing media.

I would use the Motorcraft 820S racing filter though.

Wife's 2021 WRX came with a Subaru 15208AA170 filter. Lookup at Champ Labs says PH2808, both by vehicle application and by cross reference to the Subaru part number. My understanding is that Motorcraft FL-810 is made by Champ, and Champ's cross reference also says FL-810 matches PH2808.

Why not stick with a Subaru filter? It's a good filter and its reasonably priced. Being under warranty would be a good reason to use it too. Why create an opportunity for the dealer to blame your filter if a rare engine problem might arise.

Last edited:
Why not stick with a Subaru filter? It's a good filter and its reasonably priced. Being under warranty would be a good reason to use it too. Why create an opportunity for the dealer to blame your filter if a rare engine problem might arise.

Well, I ran across an opportunity to pick up a dozen FL-810 for $50. But you're right, the factory filter is less of a risk.

I ran the cross-ref part numbers for various brands at the Wix site, and it lists a different cross for the Subaru factory part number than for any of the others, starting with WL, which is unusual compared to most Wix numbers:

Screenshot at 2022-03-27 07-38-40.jpg

From the details for that WL10078, it looks like that filter is specific for Subaru WRX and BRZ:

Screenshot at 2022-03-27 07-59-11.jpg

I can't imagine Subaru would have an objection to my using those.

Well, I ran across an opportunity to pick up a dozen FL-810 for $50. But you're right, the factory filter is less of a risk.

I ran the cross-ref part numbers for various brands at the Wix site, and it lists a different cross for the Subaru factory part number than for any of the others, starting with WL, which is unusual compared to most Wix numbers:

View attachment 94181
From the details for that WL10078, it looks like that filter is specific for Subaru WRX and BRZ:

View attachment 94205
I can't imagine Subaru would have an objection to my using those.

Don't buy a dozen filters at a time. There is no need to stockpile that many, unless you change oil on a lot of cars that use the same filter. If you won't use the whole case within a year or so, it's not worth buying in bulk.

If you're not going to use the OEM filter from the dealer, get the Wix.

The OE Subaru oil filter is actually made by Fram, but Subaru uses a higher spec bypass that Fram doesn't sell aftermarket.
For most Subaru applications that's true, but the WRX filter is a different part number, still made in Japan by Tokyo Roki. I bought this one from a dealer:

20220327_090010.jpg

20220327_090021.jpg

I have nothing against this filter; I just like to have options.

For most Subaru applications that's true, but the WRX filter is a different part number, still made in Japan by Tokyo Roki. I bought this one from a dealer:

View attachment 94211

View attachment 94212

I have nothing against this filter; I just like to have options.

So you already have a filter and it’s a great one at that. Run that Roki filter with no worries.

Ask your dealer if they would give you a discount if you bought a case of filters. GM used to do this for me.
Keyword being…? “USED TOO”

Back when times were enjoyable. These days we can only expect a rise in prices. No discounts. 😒🤨

I actually did call the dealer today and asked if I could get a qty discount. Parts manager said he'd knock off a buck a filter if I bought 3 or more. That's not a doorbuster but I'll take it.
Perfect!!! Can't go wrong with oil filters purchased right from your dealer. No one is going to question you if you have issues under warranty.

Perfect!!! Can't go wrong with oil filters purchased right from your dealer. No one is going to question you if you have issues under warranty.
Yeah. My practice for cars still under warranty is 3000 mile OCI, alternating between dealer oil changes and self-performed. That way the dealer has records of oil changes at 6000 miles, which satisfies the factory OCI requirement.

Why not? Motorcraft products have always been known to be very good for price pt. Esp if your like me & don't go over 6k mis often. I have a '19 Escape SEL AWD & '20 Ranger XLT FX4 so it's my "go to" filter (mostly) along w/ Penn Ultra Platinum oil (always). *This combo serves me well* ! Both Gen2- TGDI motors run smoothly, quiet & get good mpgs in there respective classes.

Back