Would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I was just kidding....

But PTSD is very bad even if they paid $1M a year.

Is what it is. I lift weights, do BJJ, and have a few awesome friends. I otherwise avoid people. It works for me, so far.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I was just kidding....

Is what it is. I lift weights, do BJJ, and have a few awesome friends. I otherwise avoid people. It works for me, so far.

If what Mr Nice said is true, you have at least 2 other career options:
-houses pet cleanup;
-fire cleanup/recondition

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Ws6
I was just kidding....

If what Mr Nice said is true, you have at least 2 other career options:
-houses pet cleanup;
-fire cleanup/recondition

-I doubt either would pay 6 figures for a typical work schedule.
-I wonder if there is a market in my area for cleaning up after violent murder or suicides. I would imagine that most people would be upset doing this, so the price might be right...I bet if I google it, this job has a title.

A buddy of mine from highschool on, had a job picking up the bodies of people who met a grisly demise, or went undiscovered for some period of time, while he was training to be a Paramedic and Firefighter.

He had some disturbing stories. The disturbing stories as a Paramedic/Firefighter, only increased over the years. He went through two marriages, and apparently was about to end his third, when he took his own life, a little over 3 years ago.

It was a shock to those of us that knew him. I guess he kept a lot of his emotions bottled up. I wish he had gotten some counseling, as his loss is huge to his family, friends, and the community at large.

Not a chance. $100k is $100k, but having worked in franchised food service (Dunkin) I know that the managers are underpaid. The manager of my store supported 3 others, and she was basically on call 24/7 and married to her job. Our franchise actually went through 2-3 managers during the 3 years I worked there. I would only use it as a stepping stone job to gain experience and possibly more pay, but not long-term. There is also very little growth from that position within the company. The corporate office would claim you have opportunities, but the reality is when one position opens up you compete with 100 other people at your current level for that spot, and they usually go by seniority.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I don't like managing people and I'm sorry I took the manager position that I have now; my only consolation is that I was already dubbed a SME (Subject Matter Expert) so I was already doing most of the job I am now but at lesser pay. The advantage I had in my old position is that once people got too difficult I could always defer to the boss. Can't do that anymore...

Originally Posted by 02SE
A buddy of mine from highschool on, had a job picking up the bodies of people who met a grisly demise, or went undiscovered for some period of time, while he was training to be a Paramedic and Firefighter.

He had some disturbing stories. The disturbing stories as a Paramedic/Firefighter, only increased over the years. He went through two marriages, and apparently was about to end his third, when he took his own life, a little over 3 years ago.

It was a shock to those of us that knew him. I guess he kept a lot of his emotions bottled up. I wish he had gotten some counseling, as his loss is huge to his family, friends, and the community at large.

Very sad. I have a friend who I urged to get counseling. He did. But it didn't help, because he was too busy talking with his therapist about cars and Rolex and so on. In the end, it was me who ended up convincing him to not kill himself on several occasions with pistol in hand. These professions are rough. People who think physical labor is hard don't know just how easy they have it. Working city maintenance and as a carpet cleaner were the easiest jobs I've ever had.

When it comes to suicide prevention, I feel that a strong friend group is the best tool, and even then, sadly it fails sometimes.

Not to change the subject....

I've seen lots of people miserable in different career fields but stay for the pay and benefits.

No job is perfect especially if it has high stress levels.

I've seen lots of people miserable in different career fields but stay for the pay and benefits.

Agreed. I always tell people that's why it's called "work" and not "hobby". If it was pleasant, I would be the one paying to do it, not the other way around!

I've actually been having this discussion with my father recently. He is 54, and could retire at 55 due to his state pension benefits but with a slight penalty. His finances and insurance benefits are good, and still would be if he retired tomorrow. Working longer would allow him to get slightly more money during retirement, but he doesn't necessarily need that. The issue is that while he loves his job it is extremely stressful, to the point of impacting his health. No job is worth that. What is the point of stressing yourself out for a bit more money in retirement if you die early and can't enjoy it? He is also someone who stays busy. He could easily retire and start his own consulting business on the side and make the same or more money without the stress of his current workplace.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I've actually been having this discussion with my father recently. He is 54, and could retire at 55 due to his state pension benefits but with a slight penalty. His finances and insurance benefits are good, and still would be if he retired tomorrow. Working longer would allow him to get slightly more money during retirement, but he doesn't necessarily need that. The issue is that while he loves his job it is extremely stressful, to the point of impacting his health. No job is worth that. What is the point of stressing yourself out for a bit more money in retirement if you die early and can't enjoy it? He is also someone who stays busy. He could easily retire and start his own consulting business on the side and make the same or more money without the stress of his current workplace.

It's really odd. Almost like a Stockholm syndrome of sorts. I see that in people a lot in my field, as well. I think it's a misplaced sense of duty. Noone cares about you, and your job doesn't care about you, and if you drop dead tomorrow, someone is going to step right into your shoes at work most likely. So stop sacrificing yourself an ounce more than necessary to properly do your job, and when you can stop---STOP!

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's really odd. Almost like a Stockholm syndrome of sorts. I see that in people a lot in my field, as well. I think it's a misplaced sense of duty. Noone cares about you, and your job doesn't care about you, and if you drop dead tomorrow, someone is going to step right into your shoes at work most likely. So stop sacrificing yourself an ounce more than necessary to properly do your job, and when you can stop---STOP!

Yup, he was off work for a few weeks due to shoulder surgery. Ended up working from home during his time off to "make things easier" and went back earlier than the doctor said. I'll never understand it. I have a great work ethic and go above and beyond while I'm at work, but when I'm not, that is my time to enjoy life.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yup, he was off work for a few weeks due to shoulder surgery. Ended up working from home during his time off to "make things easier" and went back earlier than the doctor said. I'll never understand it. I have a great work ethic and go above and beyond while I'm at work, but when I'm not, that is my time to enjoy life.

Some people need a sense of purpose, the job gives them that. Even if it's a stressful job, for some it's the sense of being needed or having a purpose in life.

I have wondered if this loss of purpose is behind some leo suicides after they retire.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Ws6

Some people need a sense of purpose, the job gives them that. Even if it's a stressful job, for some it's the sense of being needed or having a purpose in life.

I have wondered if this loss of purpose is behind some leo suicides after they retire.

Maybe some, but I bet a lot of it is because they realize just how pointless it all was (People can't be fixed, they are destructive and evil by nature, as a species), coupled with being treated like trash by the people they constantly put their life on the line for $25/hr for, coupled with the constant barrage of social media telling them how horrible they are. Many officers get into LE because they want to "fix" wrongs. They get all excited. They arrest their first dirtbag. They watch that dirtbag walk with a fraction of what SHOULD happen to them, or nothing at all. They then log onto their facebook to see a co-worker being torn apart on social media for "abuse of power" with a few still shots of said-coworker taking a baton to a guy...who the story conveniently left out had tried to stab the officer just seconds prior...

Man, it's maybe "loss of purpose", in some cases, but in far more, I'd wager it's "realization and disillusionment" that $25/hr wasn't enough to deal with that mess, and you never were going to have a prayer of "fixing" anything, anyway, in the broad scheme, and now people hate you.

I know some good people who are cops, and some good people who were cops. They are much happier after moving on from the long hours and constant abuses and relatively low pay in most areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back