Would you change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all,

I've been wondering if I should change the oil on my Saturn. Right now it has Mobil Clean 5000 in it and I changed it this past January. It has about 3,300 miles on it. I haven't done much driving since then as I've been unemployed, but I recently started working again. I will be driving about 36 miles a day (18 miles each way highway).

Most of the miles on the oil have been a mix of highway trips and around town in less than 3 or 4 mile trips.

The filter on there is a Purolator. My concern is more about the time it has spent in the sump rather than the miles. I have been commuting to work now so I do believe I have at least been burning off the moisture that accumulates.

If you all recommend a change, I have a fresh case of Formula Shell and another Purolator filter. Otherwise, I have no problem running it out to 5,000 miles if folks don't foresee a problem running out my current fill.

Thanks.

- Oil OCD Guy

P.S - This car has an OLM dummy light and it hasn't reset yet. Usually likes to go off around 5k in my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
why wouldn't you?

I know oil is cheap and all, but I don't see the point in doing it if I don't have to. I'm just curious as to what most folks opinion is regarding how many months they'd go before their do a drain regardless of the miles on it.

its probably OK to 5000 miles as you will be using it form now on on good length runs. I'd change maybe when you hit 5000 or a month before your cold winters.

Since it's got an OLM Id say it's safe to run it out some more. Just used the same oil(Honda version) in a Honda 3.0L for 6100 mi., 10+ months and the OLM was still at 30%.

Since you don't seem mind then go 5k or OLM whichever comes first.

The problem with that engine is the potential for excessive oil burning as the engine gets older. With my 99SL2 I went from 3/4 quart top off for a 3,000 mile oil change interval at 72,000 miles. Now I am at 1 quart per 800 miles are so at 154,000. When I started going past 3,000 mile intervals oil consumption doubled to never get better. I do a lot of stop and go, so my driving habits may be different then yours. You are in a colder climate, so that could make a difference. The problem is the oil control rings get gummed up. Though, it seems like the single overhead cam engine you have is less prone to oil consumption problems. Maybe it is the price I pay for the extra horse power in my engine.

i wouldnt do it..i know a guy at work who has 33k on his oil and just adds or not...93 geo with 200k, so 5k is more than doable

How would you know if you did?

That's something that amuses me about people talking about oil.

I'd add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil to the sump, drive it for another 1000 miles, then do a "piston soak" with the rest of the MMO before changing...

But that's just me...

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Good evening all,

I've been wondering if I should change the oil on my Saturn. Right now it has Mobil Clean 5000 in it and I changed it this past January. It has about 3,300 miles on it. I haven't done much driving since then as I've been unemployed, but I recently started working again. I will be driving about 36 miles a day (18 miles each way highway).

Most of the miles on the oil have been a mix of highway trips and around town in less than 3 or 4 mile trips.

The only thing I see that might warrant a change now is a lot of short trips. If you had at least a longer trip every week or so that would burn off contaminates in the oil then I'd say run it out to 5000 miles.

I usually run my oil for 1 year (or 5K miles) if the car is being driven on a regular basis and getting some long drive times to burn off everything inside the engine. My commute to/from work is 25 miles each way, so that helps keep the oil contaminates burned off pretty well.

Drive it till the OLM tells you to change it, my friend.

Considering you've been between jobs for six months.... save your coin, your time and the environment. Maximize your oil's use.

Heck, you might even get more than 5K on an oil change.

12.gif

Last edited:
Add a pint of MMO drive it another thousand miles and change the oil. JMO

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back