Would you buy this car? 1975 Stingray Vette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok its a C3. I forgot C3 is synonymous with Stingray.

I heard they got better in 1980, then up through 82.. Was no 83, C4 came out in 84. So, as to the C3. What ere the L88 and L89 options (engines?) Someone said 454BBC? What bout the Mako one?

This one was "just there" but Id probably seek out a 1980-1982 black or white one, if looking. Not up on my C3 knowledge.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: steveh
No way would I want a 1975 with 165HP or even the L82 with 205HP!!

Two words: Crate motor. A pristine later model C3 is a prime candidate for GM crate 350. What are they rated at now? 330 horsepower or there 'bouts.

Thats why it wouldnt matter much to me what was in there.

Id be interested in putting in one of those GM performance 502 engines or something along those lines if I could.

I also like this one more.
153982088_26758d680b_d.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Two words: Crate motor. A pristine later model C3 is a prime candidate for GM crate 350. What are they rated at now? 330 horsepower or there 'bouts.

Thats why it wouldnt matter much to me what was in there.

Id be interested in putting in one of those GM performance 502 engines or something along those lines if I could.

The nice thing about dropping in a small block 350 crate motor is that for the later model C3s, it's literally just that: a drop in. Motor mounts, exhaust manifold, fuel, electrical...it's all plug-n-play.

This. Dirt cheap for what you are getting - and you get a warranty.

The ad is wrong: a 1975 will have a TH-350, not a TH-400. Also, I would NEVER buy a car without air conditioning ever again!

Nice shape, otherwise.

Forget a crate motor...go with an LS swap! Well, or build a 454ci SMALL-block, dress it to look like a stock 165HP 350, and have a nice sleeper!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
This particular example. Why or why not?

Here is the link. 1975 Stingray, please evaluate.

I love C3's but the most desirable ones are the 68 thru 72 with chrome bumpers and none of the early pollution control stuff. If you're serious about buying it, have it checked out by someone who knows early vettes. Problem areas would be the frame and bird cage, (the steel frame around the passenger compartment. They are prone to rust and hard / expensive to fix. To get an idea on price, do some reading here... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-for-sale-wanted-56/

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

A Corvette with an automatic? No way.
Bingo, and why do an exhaust if you are gonna leave the log manifolds... :facepalm:

Says rear dual exhaust, so I'm not sure if it's dual after a single cat. Myself, I could see keeping the log manifolds. Headers can warp and have sealing issues; long tube headers often reduce ground clearance (think about having clear speed bumps). If not winding the motor out then I'd think the majority of exhaust restriction would be in the rest of the system--the manifold is but a small area. Also it takes a really long time to rust out a cast iron manifold.

The Vette does nothing for me; but I'm not in the market for anything like that.

Not a big fan of Vette's in general until very recently, but I do like how those cars look. Its just a shame they were built so poorly.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: bigdreama

A Corvette with an automatic? No way.
Bingo, and why do an exhaust if you are gonna leave the log manifolds... :facepalm:

Many people do that because they like the sound.
Some cars have the iron logs because getting some street legal headers isn't always easy when the car has a bunch of extra smog stuff.

What I would really like to know is if he replaced his hideous pellet style car with a modern one that uses a grid.

To have the outside and interior looking pretty nice, it's odd that the heater core is bypassed, horrible edlelbrock valve covers.

On the flip side, it is a Stingray. If the price was right...

Looks like it's got a bit of rust. The engine pics look terrible. There is wax in the seam between the hood and the headlight area - desperate attempt at a polish?

Others have mentioned the engine - first year for catalytic converters, and zero power. A turd is still a turd, even if polished. Yes, a crate motor would fix those issues but you've still got the same car.

I wouldn't be interested unless it was really cheap, and the owner stated he's not interested in lowball offers. Next, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back