Would you buy a used car that had ZMAX in it?

I would ask them to show me where ZMax is API approved. When they can't show you that, I would ask them to drain and fill the crankcase with fresh oil, without the additive. When they balk, then I would ask them to show in the owner's manual where ZMax is an approved additive. When they can't show you any manufacturer's approval, ask if they are going to give you a lifetime warranty to cover internal engine failure.

After the fiasco with Slick-50 and other similar products, I am very skeptical of aftermarket motor oil additives that make claims to "soak into metal", or other similar claims.
The only API EOLC additive I know are Castrol Magnatec and M1 0W40 FS :)

Z-Max ? Its oil. I don't think a little oil in you oil will be a problem.

But I would show them the line in the O.M. that cautions against oil additives. And they will say,
"You won't take Carroll Shelby's advice?"

I'd love to see a photo of the dealerships in that group. They sound classy!
Boasting they added snake oil to "every vehicle" sounds like they're trying to impress gullible folk.

This sounds like a son's idea; "Believe me Dad, it'll sell cars".
Perhaps someone in the family tried to become a ZMAX regional dealer and bought pallets of the stuff.

Is ZMAX advertised there in Texas? It's been 20 years since I've seen one of their dopey commercials (repeated footage of rolling airplanes, etc.)

Maybe the "Linkite" (ZMAX's secret ingredient) is made locally....going for jingoism points? Wait a minute...does ZMAX still contain Linkite?
You know Linkite; it's the stuff which actually penetrates the metal.

Also, you don't know if the stuff is actually installed and it sounds so jejune I bet the FBI couldn't detect it after 5 minutes of use.

dparm

I'd love to see a photo of the dealerships in that group. They sound classy!
Boasting they added snake oil to "every vehicle" sounds like they're trying to impress gullible folk.

This sounds like a son's idea; "Believe me Dad, it'll sell cars".
Perhaps someone in the family tried to become a ZMAX regional dealer and bought pallets of the stuff.

Is ZMAX advertised there in Texas? It's been 20 years since I've seen one of their dopey commercials (repeated footage of rolling airplanes, etc.)

Maybe the "Linkite" (ZMAX's secret ingredient) is made locally....going for jingoism points? Wait a minute...does ZMAX still contain Linkite?
You know Linkite; it's the stuff which actually penetrates the metal.

Also, you don't know if the stuff is actually installed and it sounds so jejune I bet the FBI couldn't detect it after 5 minutes of use.

They have several hundred dealerships across every brand you can think of...Ford, BMW, Audi, Ram, etc. It's like Penske, Avondale, Berkshire Hathaway -- huge conglomerate of dealerships.

Sonic also loves adding GPS trackers and those stupid tamper-resistant stickers on all of the body panels. They do it on every car before you even have a chance to say no. This kind of behavior is why I hate car dealers.

I have serviced many SONIC dealerships over the years. I was told by general manager at a BMW dealership that one of the individuals on the board of directors for SONIC automotive, is financially vested in Zmax. The technicians are supposed to put a bottle in the crank case and the fuel tank of every used vehicle that comes through the shop. Most of the technicians have tons of the stuff laying around because they dont really follow rules very well. I can assure you that every preowned mechanical recon invoice has zmax billed out against the unit. The whole SONIC entity is beyond corrupt. Starts at the top and trickles down to the bottom. I am quite familiar with the product and it smells and looks like a big bottle of ether….pretty sure its snake oil. I definitely would not put it in a crank case. Using it as a fuel injector cleaner? Meh

hrv

Hey in the past I have purchased a car with a FRAM filter on it and another with MotorKote in it...both were fine with no problems....🤣

Bruton Smith owns the Z-Max brand. He's also the chief of Sonic Automotive. Also owns Speedway Motorsports....the largest single owner of Nascar and NHRA tracks in the nation.

Snake oil? Perhaps. Just another billionaire holding a diverse group of assets. Would I buy a vehicle knowing it just had some of these "micro lubricants" dumped in its bowels? Probably. That's far from a deciding factor, though. How many people buy a new or used ride without knowing that some Z-Max elixir has made a run in that particular vehicle? Likely most.

If you are buying it used vehicle you never know what was added and when. Some places mark oil change done and never do it and that includes dealers so you will never know true history. Just buy your favorite vehicle then change oil to your favorite.

Instead of a questionable, forgettable additive, I'd expect a lofty entrepreneur to go with something more substantial.

As they say, we do not know his situation or history.

Best conventional oil I have used in the past 20 years:
QShighermileage_slick50.jpg

Most of the technicians have tons of the stuff laying around because they dont really follow rules very well.
not just zmax, but techs will hoard MOC or BG - its an easy money maker to the dealership but there’s no reason to use. I’ve seen techs pocket MOC fuel injector cleaner, oil conditioner, brake fluid, parts wash and power steering fluid years ago.