Would syn be good for truck that sits a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you take that truck out if frigid winter temps, a syn is a good idea. I'd buy a good one, not a cheapo (there is a difference in synthetic oil quality). The 3 or 4 year oil drains with syn would be OK, or 2 years with conventional. You're burning or leaking some, and the oil you add replenishes the additive package in the oil. Or, just any good brand conventional 5W-30 and a good filter, your yearly oil changes, and you have peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The use of synthetics will likely increase the iron count in a UOA that is nearly worthless in determining engine wear.

I personally would not bother. Just buy whatever you can get for the least amount of money. The oil will not cause the engine to fail.

For a truck that is about to enter her second decade she looks excellent I dare to say new! You have replaced the intake and head gaskets?

Why do you say Synthetic would increase iron?

This is all great to know. I have a very similar situation, truck, miles, etc. My shoot from the hip answer is conventional once a year and be done with it, but I like all of the input and opinions.

PP 5w-30 and a Wix sounds perfect to me

Very nice. That truck would sell for such a premium in this part of the country...

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
The use of synthetics will likely increase the iron count in a UOA that is nearly worthless in determining engine wear.

I personally would not bother. Just buy whatever you can get for the least amount of money. The oil will not cause the engine to fail.

For a truck that is about to enter her second decade she looks excellent I dare to say new! You have replaced the intake and head gaskets?

Why do you say Synthetic would increase iron?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Is PYB better then Castrol GTX? My last Tahoe on GTX with the 5.7 liter had the lowest wearing 350 on file with Blackstone Labs. This Sierra has yet to show a UOA as good as my 1997 Tahoe did also.

GTX, PYB or any other SN/GF-5 approved conventional, you'll be more than fine.

Last edited:
The question is, will it do harm? answer: no.

Your tires, other fluids, and rest of the car are also depreciating just sitting around too; so spending $20 more for synthetic is the least of your costs.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Your tires, other fluids, and rest of the car are also depreciating just sitting around too; so spending $20 more for synthetic is the least of your costs.

...or concerns.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: raytseng

...or concerns.
wink.gif

Yes...coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, AT fluid etc...all degrade over time....

Not running the engine often, and then running it up to full operating temp, should justify using ANY SN oil in the weight range spec'd for you truck...for 2 years....but changing it once a year will satisfy any itch/discomfort you, if not your engine, is experiencing mid-slumber.

...but I'd also like to mention...anything rubber will degrade over time more than over mileage....belts, hoses, gaskets, engine mounts...keep an eye on them.

Last edited:
This truck is almost 20 years old and does not leak oil or any fluids what so ever. I've been really lucky with it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back