Would mobil1 0w40 be too thick for a 09 sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives about 100 miles a day total to and from work. I was useing castrol edge 10w30 until they changed to this new titanium version so the last oil change was M1 EP 5w30 and the motor seems a lot more noisy. I'm kicking around the idea of useing M1 0w40 but I'm not sure if that would be too thick for this car? It's a Sonata Limited 4 cylinder. My OCI is 10k right now as all of her miles are Hwy. Any downside to useing the 0w40?

It might make the engine feel a bit more sluggish and might lower fuel economy a tiny bit. I'd personally stick to a 5w-30. Try a different 5w-30. Actually, don't these engines call for 5w-20?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It might make the engine feel a bit more sluggish and might lower fuel economy a tiny bit. I'd personally stick to a 5w-30. Try a different 5w-30. Actually, don't these engines call for 5w-20?

They call for 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 with 5w20 the car sounds very ticky and loud. With the 10w30 it was very smooth and quiet.

Mobil 1 0W40 is a light 40 or heavy 30. In my opinion it is the best of the Mobil products. Since you live in Portland with mild Winters have you thought about just using Castrol 10W30 GTX instead of the spendy synthetics?

I would think that my OCI of 10k would be too long for conventional or for my comfort level anyways.

What about using something like PP 5w-30 or PU 5w-30?

While I wouldn't expect the M1 0w-40 to hurt your engine, its high HT/HS is probably not necessary in your application and may only reduce fuel economy, although not by much.

Originally Posted By: ryland
I would think that my OCI of 10k would be too long for conventional or for my comfort level anyways.

Does your owners manual tell you to go 10K OCI's? You may be violating warranty.

3 months or 4K is all I take my oils to. Longer than that builds high levels of TAN. Of course it is your car so do what you want with it.

Originally Posted By: Radman

Does your owners manual tell you to go 10K OCI's? You may be violating warranty.

3 months or 4K is all I take my oils to. Longer than that builds high levels of TAN. Of course it is your car so do what you want with it.

My owners manual says 7.5k. I personaly dont care about the warranty because with the milage we put on the car we'll be out of it soon.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What about using something like PP 5w-30 or PU 5w-30?

While I wouldn't expect the M1 0w-40 to hurt your engine, its high HT/HS is probably not necessary in your application and may only reduce fuel economy, although not by much.

The reason why I used castrol edge and m1 EP is because they claim they can go 15k. That makes me feel better going 10k. I also woulden't worry about going 10k on the 0w40 because it's has the BMW endorsment for a long life oil.

The reason why I used castrol edge and m1 EP is because they claim they can go 15k. That makes me feel better going 10k. I also woulden't worry about going 10k on the 0w40 because it's has the BMW endorsment for a long life oil.

Understood. Your reasoning makes sense to me. From that perspective, any oil meeting BMW LL01 spec or MB 229.5 spec would work well in your application... Edge SPT 0w-30, M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Understood. Your reasoning makes sense to me. From that perspective, any oil meeting BMW LL01 spec or MB 229.5 spec would work well in your application... Edge SPT 0w-30, M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40...

Edge SPT is a good idea. Do you guys think that would be a better choice than the M1 0w40?

Supposedly the M1 0w-40 is more technologically advanced and it has better viscosity index, so it should offer slightly better cold startup flow properties. Both are good oils, IME.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

They call for 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 with 5w20 the car sounds very ticky and loud. With the 10w30 it was very smooth and quiet.

It's not very usefuls to generalize about oil grades when dealing with something subjective like engine noise.
I'd try some different oil chemistries before randomly going with an unnecessary heavier oil. For example I'd try a high moly oil like the Toyota 0W-20 or Subaru 0W-20. Many on this forum have found these oils to be very quite, myself included.

BTW, M1 0W-40 due to it's high VI (185) would actually be lighter on start-up at temp's as high as 80F to the Edge 10W-30 (VI 151). That's one reason why I consider any 10W-30 synthetic to be a waste of money vs the superior 5W-30 grade.

What 5w-20 oils did you run? There are lots of anecdotal stories of M1 being noisier than others. Try PP 5W-20, or Valvoline Synpower 0W-20. I'd run the specified grade for warranty, and because that's what the manufacturer says is best.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
What 5w-20 oils did you run? There are lots of anecdotal stories of M1 being noisier than others. Try PP 5W-20, or Valvoline Synpower 0W-20. I'd run the specified grade for warranty, and because that's what the manufacturer says is best.

Warranty dosn't concern me and as I said earlier I don't know if those oils could make it to 10k? I have thought about valvoline before but at 10k I think that would keep me up at nights and I don't really want to pay for a UOA.

Your car is 2 years old or so and the recommended oil weights cause tickiness? Have you thought about having them check this under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back