Would like opinions on oils for my 515whp Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't drive it often and sways warm it up to operating and then about 5 minutes latr may start driving hard. What fluids do you recommend for the car all recommendations on all fluids are welcome. Tranny uses a supposedly special 40$ qt v160 oil made by castle I believe is the name it seems to be a aft fluid but I'd like to believe it really is special. Also recommended by manufacturer is 75w90 rear end and 10w30 for motor.

What would you guys use and why if you don't mind.

Also any recomendations for my legacy spec b it is recommended to use 5w30 in motor and 75w90 in tranny and rear end. Rr end is a torsen LSD. I have been running there extra s in tranny and rear end along with royal purple 5w30 in motor which I assume os not that great of an oil with all the advertising they do. Anyway I'd love suggestions for both cars formmm you oil guys.

Great forum and I can't wait to become better informed about the oils as they are a vital part of the car that I have overlooked for to long now. I read a motor oil bible man years ago I think maybe bob made it.

TIA,
Anthony

Last edited:
I almost bought a `97 Supra twin turbo awhile back. Had I gotten it,I`d be using a 40 weight synth in the engine and Amsoil MTG in the tranny (standard),or is yours an auto?

For the Supra, I would do m1 0w40 for flogging it on the streets against 17 year old kids who think their 16 second car is fast
wink.gif
or if you are taking it to the track only, m1 15w50.

Or for a boutique recommendation, I would try 5w40 Amsoil European car formula.

As for the interval if you really don't drive it many miles a year, time is more of the factor, but in a highly modified car like that you will need to do used oil analysis to pinpoint the right oil and change interval.

As for the Subie, I wouldn't use RP, I would just use any 20-30 dollar 5 gallon jug of synthetic that meets the proper specs at a 7.5k OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua,

Supra is a 6 speed

What is amsoil MTG manual trans & gear?

The only fluid I have seen anyone use but the stock v160 (toyota oem oil) is RP synchromax or amsoil aft fluid when aft is written in red letter. This is recommended from one of the only and highest volume supra v160 trans rebuilders.

Thanks for the input so far and I was defiantly planning to make the switch to a 40wt when the car gets back on the road it has been sitting or barely driven the last three years but that should be coming to an end in the next couple weeks after I get my clutch checked out and repaired.

Thanks,
Anthony

OG Supra guy here (owned them since 2001). I'd use 15W40 Rotella or Brad Penn 10W40. I'm 'AZMongoose' over on Supraforums.

Originally Posted By: Ama0787
Aqua,

Supra is a 6 speed

What is amsoil MTG manual trans & gear?

The only fluid I have seen anyone use but the stock v160 (toyota oem oil) is RP synchromax or amsoil aft fluid when aft is written in red letter. This is recommended from one of the only and highest volume supra v160 trans rebuilders.

Thanks for the input so far and I was defiantly planning to make the switch to a 40wt when the car gets back on the road it has been sitting or barely driven the last three years but that should be coming to an end in the next couple weeks after I get my clutch checked out and repaired.

Thanks,
Anthony

If your Supra`s tranny specs an ATF,then Synchromax of the Amsoil ATF will be fine. But if it specs a 75W90 GL4 fluid,then go with the Amsoil MTG,which imo is the finest GL4 75W90 manual transmission fluid made. Engine oil,I`d choose Mobil 1 10W40HM. That`s what I use in my car,and what my friend uses in his modded 300ZX twin turbo. It has a super strong add pack,and can be bought cheap at Walmart in the 5 quart jug.

What do you think about the subaru torsen rear end? I was thinking i would run the subaru extra s since it seems to be more for transmissions and the torsen is gear based not clutch.

turbo travis,

I have you beat i have owned mine since i was 17 back in early 1998 it had 16,000 miles

I have switched its rear diff from the stock torsen to the trd clutch type where i run the amsoil 75w90 manual trans and gear oil.

Do you guys think i should have stuck with the oem torsen?

TIA,
Anthony

For the Subie, 5W-30 is preferred for fuel economy and 10W-40 is allowed down to -4F. I would run anything that is not Energy Conserving which a lot of folks run in Subaru turbos. German Castrol, Rotella T6 5W-40, M1 0W-40, M1 High Mileage, etc. If you still have all of the oil screens (2 AVCS and 1 turbo inlet) you only want to run something very robust and be careful with extending your oil change intervals.

For the rear diff you can run anything as it is a sealed unit and isn't a TorSen. For the front, Mobil Delvac is my favorite but it's hard to find. I order it from Lufteknic. I don't like the cold weather shifting of the Extra-S.

-Dennis

Supra has a gearbox by getrag but rear end is toyota pretty sure stock is a toyota torsen and now there is a trd lsd on there which as far as i know is made by toyota

My suby rear diff is a torsen r180 i have a spec b which has a 6 speed with the rear diff i just mentioned

TIA,
Anthony

M1 15W-50 provided the best UOA, actual wear results and oil pressure in my turbo Mazda with 33Lbs boost. 175,000 miles worth! I also used it exclusively in the turbo 2.3L Fords I used to develop. It is a stout oil and just a bit on the thin side when compared to other oils with similar ratings. No problems in cold weather with it either, as it remains fluid down to a very low temperature.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
M1 15W-50 provided the best UOA, actual wear results and oil pressure in my turbo Mazda with 33Lbs boost. 175,000 miles worth! I also used it exclusively in the turbo 2.3L Fords I used to develop. It is a stout oil and just a bit on the thin side when compared to other oils with similar ratings. No problems in cold weather with it either, as it remains fluid down to a very low temperature.

^^2nd. One of the best oils imo.

Would you run this in the winter in the NE? They have weeks of sub freezing temps sometimes

Thanks,
Anthony

Still wondering about the 15w50 in a NE winter? Close to a month of sub freezing weather and probably 10 days or so in single digits

TIA,
Anthony

Originally Posted By: Ama0787

Would you run this in the winter in the NE? They have weeks of sub freezing temps sometimes

Thanks,
Anthony

Yes, I lived in CT and NY for many years. In fact upstate NY is where I did the 2.3L turbo development. I found that the M1 15W-50 worked in cold weather just fine. Is it too viscous for -10F starts? Probably not ideal. However, it's pour point is somewhere around -40F.

If your car is in the garage, and there is some additional warmth there, I would not expect any problems, especially with gentle warm ups.

I'd consider a thinner oil if the car is a daily driver, maybe M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. I don't think there is any way you will be able to use all 550 HP in the snow or dead of winter there. And therefore won't be pushing an oil to it's limits. If the car is simply driven occasionally, and in the warmer garage, 15W-50 will work just fine.

Last edited:
Yes cold pavement alon basically stops the power from getting to the ground right around 65 degrees I lose all hope of traction but I do like to run the car at least a couple times a month so it doesn't sit to much

Thanks for the advise. Do you like the 5w40 for my daily subaru which is also modified around 400awhp

Do you strictly use m1?

Iassume that 33lbs of boost is e85 or higher than pump octane fuel. Am I correct?

TIA,
Anthony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back