Would it be worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 06 Ranger with the 2.3/5-speed and only 50 miles. This would be my first break in i've had to do. My current plan on the oil would be the 1st at 1k and the 2nd at 3k (freebie at the dealer) and 5k on out. All with 5/20 btw. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it if I dumped the tranny, diff fluid at the 5k mark. I'm planning on keeping the truck for quite a while.. but i've said that in the past so i'd better hold my tongue. The antifreeze would be done on yearly schedules so I won't do that till this time next year. What do you guys think? I know of many rangers with the original tranny/diff fills with over 100k.. so maybe I'm worrying to much. But then again I do frequent here I must of picked up the disease
lol.gif

I'd do the tranny @ 10K. The oil is ok, but folks here will say unnecessary. My new one, I changed at 500, 1500, 4500, all dino, and I've been running M1/VSOT up to now, at 9,200, with my next OCI at 12500.

The Stealer will do an OCI at 15K checkup, but I'll add a little VSOT and run it 5K and go back to 7500 OCI after that.

It will have to do.

Wow is that 2.3 engine around yet. I had it on my 88 Ranger 4WD Truck. Pretty much of a dog, but all in all pretty reliable. I changed all of the fluids to Amsoil at 20K and never changed again. The Manual Tranny and Transfer case were ATF fluid. After I sold it with 100+K it was still on the road at 140+K miles

You can do a break in, but my understanding is it's broken in or not in the first 20 or 30 miles. Need to get the engine to full operating temp and then do about 8 or 10 hard runs in a midrange speed and gear, locked into that gear so you can let the engine pull it back down to a slow speed. Then you're done. After that I would change out the oil and filter right away, even if not a hundred miles on it. Now I speak as an armchair break-in-ologist.

Hey Al!
quote:

Wow is that 2.3 engine around yet. I had it on my 88 Ranger 4WD Truck

Longer than we think, maybe! I had a 2.3 litre 4 mated to a 4-speed in my Mustang II in 1975, and I think it came out to begin with in 74! It had a carb, but I believe the lower end is the same as way back then (?). I would imagine the tech in that motor has advanced some..
dunno.gif

The 2.3 in the 2001 and later models are the Duratec. I'm still getting used to the gearing.. but it sure beats the 2000 2.5L I drove a couple years ago. I got it with 40 miles, mostly city driving from dealer to dealer, so according TallPaul it's already broken in. Makes since in a way. I'm going on a 300 mile round trip Monday so after that if I get antsy I may have to change it. I don't know yet if i'll go with syntethic in the tranny or diff. The f150 with limited slip that was traded in I changed the dino fluid at 80k'sh and the fluid was still perfect. Don't know if it was changed before though.

What I find funny is that the sales guy that was working on the deal explained the 5k oil changes and that sort of thing in his office.. then he gives the 3k oil changes speech when he was giving a tour of the service center.

Al, I believe this is a different 4cyl from the 2.3/2.5 Lima ones. In the latter half of 2001,I believe it was, Ford started using a Mazda dual overhead cam 4cyl in the Ranger.

I'd change the differential fluid as per the owner's manual service schedule. On the engine coolant, I have an 03 Ranger and the owner's manual calls for changing the coolant after 4 years or 40,000, whichever comes first. After that its something like every 4 or 5 years or 40 or 50 thou miles. You have the G-05 coolant and do not need to change it once a year.

Change the tranny fluid immediately, and then again at 5,000 miles. Thereafter, every 10,000 miles is ideal, IMO.

I think the rear diff on these trucks is sealed and comes stock with a synthetic "lifetime" GL-5 lubricant. The 4x2 models take a 75W-90 and the 4x4 models call for a 75W-140, IIRC. Check this carefully in your manual.

If it were my truck and the rear diff was in fact sealed, I'd figure out a way to put a fill hole in the cover and then draw the old fluid out every 10,000 miles and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back