Would it be safe to run Amsoil ASL 5W-30 at 7,500 mile intervals without a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think you should have no problem going 7500 miles with this stuff. That is what it is designed for. I feel you could get 7500 miles (depending on your driving style) with a good dino oil (Pennzoil, or Chevron) also.

I had a 90 Accord that I ran 7500 miles between oil changes and once went 10k miles. This was with Mobil 1.

The 4 cylinder Honda is very easy on oil. Just check the used oil analysis board.

I wouldn't worry about Amsoil 5w30 hitting 10k miles in your honda. I would check on the level and condition (coolant leakage) of the oil periodically.

I am currently running Amsoil 10w30 in my mother in laws 2003 honda civic and plan on 1 year 16k mile intervals. The oil has been in 10 months and zero consumption. Oil still looks clean on the dipstick. Engine is very quiet.

I agree there should be no problem here. However taking an oil analysis is a good thing bc it will tell you that perhaps you could go a lot further with confidence. It will also tell you if you have a coolant leak, air filter/intake leak and possibly fuel dilution or solids. All these things shorten oil and vehicle life. So in a sense you are trading a few dollars to diagnose your engine and after that be able to run longer intervals which can save money.

An oil analysis seems like a big deal and a lot ot time trouble and expense. I felt that way at one time. Now I can't wait for the time to runout on my oil so I can quick go do an analysis
lol.gif

Also it was mentioned that 7500 is possible with dino oil. That may be true but we have seen bad dino UOA's at way less than that. Other than the Schaeffer's blend I am not sure we have seen more than one or two dino samples at 7500 miles.
smile.gif

I'll throw out one caution - remember guys, he's in Grand Forks North Dakota, where it gets COLD in the winter.

If you aren't getting this thing fully up to temp regularly and are planning on going through the winter on the interval, 7500 miles may be a stretch, even as good as Amsoil is (or any other oil for that matter).

May or may not apply, but it is some food for thought!

MNgopher:

Excellent point!!

I could run a drain interval from Dec.-Feb. using the severe service schedule listed in the manual (3,750 miles) just to play it safe. I think the rest of the year would be fine for 7,500 mile intervals.

The kind of cold we get in Grand Forks is murder to a motor oil.

I think the ASL will do fine for a 7,500 mile winter drive; personal experience.

You might want to consider an Auto-RX cleaning with Chevron Supreme dino on a 1,000 mile interval before the ASL insertion, just to make sure the engine is clean.

1994 Honda Accord EX (aprox. 96K; has seen Mobil 1 5W-30 for the life of the vehicle except for the batch of German Castrol I just put in)

I'm going to try Amsoil ASL 5W-30 for my next drain in the spring (March-April). Amsoil markets their oil as being good for 25,000 miles or 1 year. I should easily be able to run the ASL to 7.5K with no problem, right? I'm just trying to avoid the hassle and expense of a UOA. I'll probably stick to the Honda OEM filter I have used all along.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
You might want to consider an Auto-RX cleaning with Chevron Supreme dino on a 1,000 mile interval before the ASL insertion, just to make sure the engine is clean.

Why??? The car has been on a diet of Mobil 1 all its life.

change your oil 1 time a year.here in idaho it gets -30 and i change oil in my tractors,trucks,cars yearly.this has worked good for the last 5 years.i use amsoil 5-30 or amsoil 15-40 in every thing

It's safe to run the oil 10,000 even 15,000 or 1 year without an oil analysis.

Heck you can even run the 25,000 without an oil analysis without much worry.

Here are some pics of a 89 dodge shadow turbo at 135,000 miles with the oil changed every 25,000.

-

-

-

I have run synthetic oil since 1977, I have never changed oil less than once per year. I have gone over 25,000 miles on the same synthetic oil and the engine never had a problem. In all these years I have only done 1 or 2 UOA and only out of curiosity.

Routine UOA is not cost effective for someone changing oil per the owners manual recommendations or less.

But on the other hand if you are going to do like me then it will pay off. In March I purchased a vg used 1992 one owner Chevy 4x4 pickup, short box with 305 and A/T. Loaded with all the options. Engine is vg at 75,000 miles now. I put in Amsoil XL7500 at 72,000 miles. It been in there for 3000 miles and the oil has not gone down at all. My plan is to install an Amsoil bypass oil filters, install the S2000 0W-30 and not change oil again till UOA says its time to change. I don't care about the miles or the time. I want to see how long the oil will go. I hope to get this done next week, truck is in shop this week having a new Western plow installed. This truck will be a work truck, plowing snow all winter, probably running as much as 6 hrs a day when needed and as my off-roader in other seasons. I have run the Amsoil 10W-40 for 5 yrs in my 1964 Impala because I did not rack up many miles and was only home occasional and had more important things to do. btw-I will only test the oil 1/year. If the body holds out, I plan to get at least 5 yrs work out of this truck.

[ September 11, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Routine UOA is not cost effective for someone changing oil per the owners manual recommendations or less.

Maybe not, however if everyone on here had that same attitude as you, we'd have a harder time learning things on here. UOAs are definitely the key to us discovering new things. And it allows many people to find the "holy grail" so to speak.

Plus doing UOAs is great entertainment for a lot of us too. I'd personally rather spend $27 on a sample kit than for a case of beer (which is actually more expensive than $27 up here!)

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
It's safe to run the oil 10,000 even 15,000 or 1 year without an oil analysis.

Heck you can even run the 25,000 without an oil analysis without much worry.

You are saying that he can run Amsoil's Group III oil for 25,000 miles "without much worry"? Are you serious? Even Amsoil, which isn't known for "marketing restraint" when it comes to extended drain claims, says this oil is only good for 7500 miles or 1 year.

I still am uncomfortable going longer than 10K miles without doing a previous analysis. All it takes is some glycol floating around there for a year or so.

Even Amsoil says one year or XX miles in a "Mechanically Sound" engine. So if the oil is shot after 20K and there is evidence of colant leak or any deterioration of the oil. Guess what Amsoil's position is gonna be
grin.gif

[ September 11, 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The ASL 5W30 is still a PAO/TMP ester-based oil, and not a Group III (as yet!).

Mea culpa. I thought ASL was their new Group III "synthetic."

Well I have 25+ yrs of experience with extended drains using synthetic oil without using any UOA. In my opinion testing the oils every 3-5000 miles is only benefiting the companies doing the UOA and those that want someone else to spend the money so then can have something to argue about.

If you are basing the oil changes on UOA, then its worth while but if you are still going to dump the oil no matter, forget it.

quote:

So if the oil is shot after 20K and there is evidence of coolant leak or any deterioration of the oil. Guess what Amsoil's position is gonna be

So, what if there is NO evidence of coolant leak, or any deterioration of the oil? People are always assuming something is going to go wrong. But what if nothing goes wrong. Are you going to put on new tires even though the ones you have a like new, just becuase you might have a flat next year? I don't count on things failing like most of you seem to do. If it fails, so be it but I am not going to change what has worked for me becuase of someone else paranoia.

[ September 11, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back