Would Honda 5w-20 Oil be a good Oil to Use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Honda oil contains high levels of moly in their 5w-20 viscosity, would it be a good candidate for my 06 civic sedan that calls for 5w-20 ?. I can't get Mobil1 in 0w-20 as it would be my first choice, all the other OTC brands just seem mediocre. The only problem with Honda oil is you don't know what the dealer is using, they often get bulk oil deals from whomever is selling oil cheaply, I don't know if most dealers even carry bottled Honda oil ?. I'll be sure to ask beforehand though, thanks for any advice.thanks

Get some Pennzoil 5w-20 Dino, Havoline, Castrol, Motorcraft (which I saw for the 1st time in Wal-Mart today in a 5 qt jug of 5w-20 for $7.27
shocked.gif
which is a steal) or quaker state and it will be fine.

Plus you'll KNOW what is going in your car. I've seen Dealer oils change with the cheapest bidder.

Even the bottled oil!

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I was just at the Honda Dealership yesterday...I could read the 5-20 bottle and it says "Exxon" on it. I just put Mobile 1 5-20 in my Odyssey, and was surprised at how thick it was pouring it at 40 degrees yesterday morning. Anyway, I doubt Exxon Superflo is significantly different, if it is different at all, from the Honda brand. Save your money and get Havoline, Exxon Superflow, etc., or go synthetic if you'd like. Just make sure it is an SM rated oil, and you'll be fine.

Yes and yes and yes.

Depending on how much Honda charges for oil changes you might want to 1. let them do it. ($25. per 5,000 mile OCI is what my local dealer charges, of which normal charge for labor is 18 dollars=7. for consumables) Or you might want to 2. BYOO or bring your own oil and let them do it. It would be very hard for the dealer to match a .49-.65 cent per quart price 1.67-2.21.(normally 1.50-1.99 per quart) 3. DIY, which would cost oil and filter between $2.07-6 for filter plus $1.67- 6.80 for oil = $3.74-12.80. CONVENTIONAL.

After the first oem 5w20 conventional fill and 10,000 mile Honda recommended OCI, I personally went to DIY with $2.07 WM SuperTech 7317 filter and 3.4 quarts of Mobil One 0w20 @$4 per qt=13.60+2.07= $15.67. This obviously costs MORE!!! (than the above paragraphs conventional examples) HOWEVER, over 2 each 10,000 mile intervals, I found mpg went up with synthetic over the conventional oil; a range of .5-3 mpg. The average seem to be 2 mpg.

So if you do the math with 2 mpg saved over 10,000 miles savings of: $32.34 Again DIY a range of 3.74-12.80 PLUS 32.34 $36.08-45.14 conventional vs $15.67 synthetic.

(It also should be fairly obvious if you change at 5,000 mile OCI's the costs will be double or 7.48-25.60 plus 32.34 39.82-57.94 vs 15.67 synthetic)

(avg of 37 mpg-35 mpg/10,000=15.4 gals SAVED x current price of unleaded reg (2.10 here)=$32.34. This translates to 570 MORE miles.

It might surprise you to note that running synthetic oil is cheaper!! (- a lot due to fuel savings!! )
smile.gif
and uses WAY less resources. (15.7 gals of fuel LESS (-5.4%) and up to 50% less oil products)

Mobil One currently comes in 5w20. I am told Mobil is bringing the 0w20 back to market sometime in 2006.

The only thing bad about the following list of conventional 5w20 oils that are good for our Honda's, might be the ones I inadvertently leave off. So as a observation, I would buy the 5w20 on PRICE and/or coupons. Life is good at .49/.65 per quart, eh? Compare the 5 quart jug prices also. If I had decided to stay with convention oil, Superflo would be my choice.

Havoline
Chevron
ExxonMobil Superflo, (aka oem)
Honda 5w20
Mobil Drive Clean, etc.
Motorcraft
Quaker State
Castrol GTX
Penzoil

[ December 11, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I ran the VOA of the SL version Honda oil and found it to be identical to the Exxon 5W20. Save your money and get the Exxon Superflo 5W20. If you can't find the Honda/Exxon/Mobil 5000 for a good price, my next choice in the Moly Department would be Havoline/Chevron 5W20. Joe

Bill in Utah:
Just want to make sure that the 5qt jug of 5w-20 you mentioned was the Motorcraft oil because that's what I'm using for our Ford Freestyle. At $7.27 I agree it's a steal and I think I'll head across the border to Bellingham,WA. Walmart and try to pick up a few jugs.Motorcraft oil are only sold at our stealerships and they cost a heck of a lot more.
Thanks for the tip.

Hi,

Yep, Big RED jug of Motorcraft 5w-20 SM 5 quarts for $7.27!
grin.gif

It's the first time I've seen Motorcraft in a 5qt jug and they only have the 5w-20 in that form.

Trying to get my dad who owns a Honda Powered Vue to go over to the Wal-mart and pick up the 5 jugs they have. With his Pennzoil and Castrol 5w-20 stash, it would take him to 60k miles.

$1.45 a quart for that oil is a good buy IMO!
shocked.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Valvoline makes a 5w20. I don't really hear anybody talk much about the basic Valvoline dino, is there a reason for that?

Thanks for the confirmation, Bill !

Great to know Wally World is carrying the 5qt jugs.
However, on second thought I'll postpone my shopping trip down south till after the hectic Holiday Season as they'll probably be sold out at this time.
As long as they keep re-stocking say sometime next month I don't mind buying the 5w-20's even if they raise the price by 10-20%.

quote:

Valvoline makes a 5w20. I don't really hear anybody talk much about the basic Valvoline dino, is there a reason for that?

Prob upset someone here but it's a ok oil for too much $$.

For the same or less $$ you can do better.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I am a proud user of Valvoline. I've used nothing but 5W30 for the last 5+ years.

I try to buy it on sale for about $1.80 a quart, but sometimes I pay the full $2.30+ price.

I'm very satisfied with it, although I have switched to M1 5W20 in the new 2005 Accord.

Dealer uses bulk GTX 5W-30 here. One of the VOAs we had of Honda 5W-20 actually showed a viscosity of a 30 weight. If you want to run Mobil 1 and can't find the 5W-20, just use the XW-30.

boy i tell ya, i don't know how you guys find oil so cheap.

Maybe its just my location.

Cheapest oil i found the other day was Supertech at $1.16 a quart.

so i picked up a case to use for my Auto-RX treatment as soon as i get it.

I'm doing my second run on Honda 5W-20 on my '05 Odyssey after dumping factory fill at 4,500 miles. I'm going to 20k miles on the Honda 5W-20 before switching to Redline 5W-20.

I doubt dealer bulk oil is Honda 5W-20. The Honda oil states it is a product of E-M manufactured to Honda R&D specs with both domestic and foreign components.

We have been running our 02 Accord V6 on Pennzoil 5W20 for many miles, UOAs have been excellent. I agree with the others, any of the good 5W20's, Exxon, Pennzoil, Havoline, Shaeffers et al will be just fine in your Civic.

On the 5 qt. MC.

I have been to 5 different Walmarts in my area, and only 1 has the 5 qt. jugs (I picked up 2, and they only had about 5 or 6 total). The other Walmarts seem to be having trouble keeping the qt. bottles and filters in stock!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back