Would GC pass GM4718M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Corvette with 6300 miles. Just switched to Green GC (and UPF-44 filter) and car seems a tad quieter. The bone of contention when oil is discussed for these cars seems to be the importance of the GM spec for warranty and possible engine issues. Any thoughts?

BTW, for warranty purposes, if no GM 4718M on bottle, no use in Corvette saying 4718M in manual.
The carmakers are JERKS about that stuff if you ask them to stand behind the warranty.
Also, save all receipts for all oil changes. Original receipts, NOT photocopies.
Sucks, but you gotta' do it. After warranty, sure, use GC, but by the time your warranty expires, OLD GC will be long gone.

I agree with both G-Man and Tom. I'd just stick with the spec oil until the wty is up. As I've preached here many times before, if you did have a major catastrophe, GM would still have to prove that your use of non-spec oil caused the failure if you challenged a wty denial in court. Of course, 99% of the time, you're probably better off avoiding the fight, even if it's a fight you'd likely win in the end. An ounce of prevention. . .

Contact Castrol USA and ask them about the German made 0w30 being tested. I think it was. FE1/FE2 fuel economy tests may be what kept it from getting GM licensed. They may be able to provide data to support my contention that....From what I know about 4718 that would be the only issued area. You have to qual a lube chemistry on all areas or not be able to list it in marketing.

Tell them I sent ya..

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Contact Castrol USA and ask them about the German made 0w30 being tested. I think it was. FE1/FE2 fuel economy tests may be what kept it from getting GM licensed.

I thought 4718M was strictly I high temp oxidation test.
dunno.gif

The test protocal for GM4718M oil included a high temperature vs oxidation vs time test. The spec. was needed so the corvette engineers could remove the oil cooler to gain room under the hood. G-Man has it correct. I doubt that Castrol would meet this spec. I certanly would not use an oil that did not meet the manufactures requirments in writing.

G-Man II , 4718 is a battery of testing not just one aspect.

GC would easily exceed the THEOST testing you describe Eddie. At least the Green we tested. This is one tough syn oil. If I am right.....then I would be happy to give up 2% MPG gains while producing no wear. GC is capable of lowering temps through better heat transfer and reduction.

Agreed on getting the qualification in writing under warranty.

Terry,

I am going to have to quit reading your posts
wink.gif
. They get the Elfe Meister's heart all revved up...good thing I have a little GC tonic at breakfast every morning or I would be worried about the wear............yup, it's all true.

I also run Green in my 05 corvette and I sleep better knowing the elves are working with me. You have a better chance winning the lottery than having some kind of engine failure with your vette. Run the GC and forget about it
cool.gif

Has anyone ever had a warranty claim, where the dealership/company claimed the engine failure was do to the wrong oil?? Has anyone ever had the dealership/company do a oil analysis to determine if the oil met any standard???? Just curious as many people have large worries about warrantey protection being refused because of oil not meeting some standard.

Short of oil analysis how would the dealership know.

Thanks all for responding. I figured that GC has to pass the spec, given all the other oils that do. I have 30 plus quarts of green and the vette seems to like it, so I'll keep running it.
Mobil 1 is a good oil, but both the Corvette and my 2003 Tahoe are smoother and a little quieter on different oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Trouthead:
Has anyone ever had a warranty claim, where the dealership/company claimed the engine failure was do to the wrong oil?? Has anyone ever had the dealership/company do a oil analysis to determine if the oil met any standard???? Just curious as many people have large worries about warrantey protection being refused because of oil not meeting some standard.

Yes, we had a lady who ran 5W30 in a van calling for 5W20.
The 5W30 and the fact that she ran over the suggested OCI were both cited when her claim was denied.
They don't need a UOA to prove your oil was wrong.
It's YOUR job to have receipts proving that your oil was the right oil, at the right time for the right mileage.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:

quote:

Originally posted by Trouthead:

Yes, we had a lady who ran 5W30 in a van calling for 5W20.
The 5W30 and the fact that she ran over the suggested OCI were both cited when her claim was denied.
They don't need a UOA to prove your oil was wrong.
It's YOUR job to have receipts proving that your oil was the right oil, at the right time for the right mileage.

Respectfully, that's not entirely correct. It certainly helps if the customer has kept receipts, but the failure to do so is not, by itself, a legitimate basis for a warranty claim denial.

The LAW in this area is very clear (Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act). If push comes to shove, and the parties end up in court, the manufacturer must bear the INITIAL burden of proving that the customer's act (or failure to act) is the cause of the failure. Only after the mfr has proven this causal link is the customer required to prove anything. If the mfr can't meet this burden, the customer will WIN without having been required to prove anything at all, let alone show receipts (through either a "summary judgment" before trial, or a "directed verdict" after the first half of a trial).

The mfr is not allowed to deny a claim as a "penalty" for not changing oil on time, or for using the wrong oil. They'd probably have to have an engineer testify as to the link between the lack of oil changes, and the specific failure. And the engineer would probably be looking for an oil analysis to back up his testimony. Even the mere presence of sludge might not be enough. Now, if the engineer can point to a blocked oil passage in a neglected engine (for which there are no O/C receipts), and that passage served the bearing that failed, the mfr is on strong ground.

If your dealership/manufacturer can't prove a comparable set of facts, you're waaaay out there on a limb if that lady hires herself a lawyer.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
The test protocal for GM4718M oil included a high temperature vs oxidation vs time test. The spec. was needed so the corvette engineers could remove the oil cooler to gain room under the hood. G-Man has it correct. I doubt that Castrol would meet this spec. I certanly would not use an oil that did not meet the manufactures requirments in writing.

What's more likely is - "The GM4718M oil spec. was needed so the Corvette engineers could save a few bucks and a single fill of M1 is much cheaper than a decent oil cooler."

I'd be surpised if GC didn't meet the performance level required.

Gee: Here we have a $40,000 dollar car with a $15,000? engine. We're trying to use up some left over oil that NO ONE knows if it meets the engines basic requirements. In fact the oil manufacture either has not tested the oil or know it doesn't meet the spec. I don't know what high performance car come from the manufacture with GC, but we sure know that alot come with Mobil 1 and that includes the Corvette. Why take a chance. Just sell the GC on ebay and use the known correct oil? There are several oils that meet the GM spec and say so on the container.

The Corvette came from the factory with Mobil 1 5w30 and that oil meets the engine requirments. That oil was tested and meets the GM requirement in writing. That is the oil I would use, especially during the waraanty period.

quote:

Gee: Here we have a $40,000 dollar car with a $15,000? engine. We're trying to use up some left over oil that NO ONE knows if it meets the engines basic requirements. In fact the oil manufacture either has not tested the oil or know it doesn't meet the spec. I don't know what high performance car come from the manufacture with GC, but we sure know that alot come with Mobil 1 and that includes the Corvette. Why take a chance. Just sell the GC on ebay and use the known correct oil? There are several oils that meet the GM spec and say so on the container.

But oil analysis has proven that GC shows lower engine wear than Mobil 1, so that's all that I need to know.

I wonder which would perhaps sludge/varnish more between M1 5W30 and GC when used over a 150k span just using the GM OLM to dictate oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

But oil analysis has proven that GC shows lower engine wear than Mobil 1, so that's all that I need to know.

I agree. In addition, based upon our "member sponsored science project," and my own UOA (and others too), it's clear that GC is not in danger of oxidizing any more readily than M1 is. On my last UOA, at just under 5k miles, the GC showed only 0.1 for insolubles, and viscosity was in grade. Especially in an engine that can beat up its oil (VQ35), these are all pretty strong indicators that this is an oxidation-safe oil than can take the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back