Would fuel deposits be remedied by........

Status
Not open for further replies.
....higher quality fuel filtration?

We put so much emphasis on oil filtration, why do not we not focus on fuel filtration in a similar fashion?

A fuel filter will become clogged over time, so it seems that maybe fuel deposits can be attributed (in some small way) to actual solids hitting the injectors and valves.

??

But it only filters down to 5 microns. My Cat filter goes down to 2 microns.

Abrasive particles found in the gas would not be the first thing to go after if deposits are the concern. Deposits are usually dried out chemicals left behind due to evaporation of the chemical soup called gasoline.

Originally Posted By: hannaco
But it only filters down to 5 microns. My Cat filter goes down to 2 microns.

Abrasive particles found in the gas would not be the first thing to go after if deposits are the concern. Deposits are usually dried out chemicals left behind due to evaporation of the chemical soup called gasoline.

Yes, I understand that most deposits are caused by the burn process, but there are solids involved, otherwise our filters would never become clogged.

There's got to be more to this, and that example I provided is not the be all, end all of fuel filtration. :)

Fuel pumps have screens to catch big stuff (dirt, rats, small children), but nothing like a true filter per-se.

The air seems to have more particulate matter than the fuel -
because there is a LOT of air passing through.
Modern fuel injection fuel filters are large and long lasting.
I can't say I ever saw a fuel dirt problem on the valves or combustion chamber. Never really heard about it, either. Tough to quantify and qualify, though.
I have seen the insides of a bunch of gas tanks. Water is rare on the bottom, and dirt/sediment is more rare.
30 years ago there was more unwanted stuff in gas tanks, but still not common.

Good responses, IMO. Additionally, for reasons I cannot fathom, many car makers have moved the filtration device to the gas tank. Maybe the idea is as simple as getting the gas filtered before it sees the first pump (in the tank in most instances). My 88 Civic had an easily accessible filter on the firewall in the engine room. My 09 Camry has a very large (roughly the size of a quart milk bottle, from my examination of the diagrams) fuel filter in the tank. Want to change it? You've got to remove the back seat, take off a panel, and then open the top of the tank. I'm going to take a wild guess and speculate that one should probably extinguish all smoking materials before trying that last step...

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Fuel pumps have screens to catch big stuff (dirt, rats, small children), but nothing like a true filter per-se.
crackmeup2.gif

On a serious note...

My Santa Fe has a "lifetime" fuel filter on the pump itself inside the fuel-tank it only needs to be replaced if there is a problem. It's about 6" x 4" It is a 2 micron filter and the fuel pump also has a screen on the pickup tube to stop the bigger dirt particles from getting to the filter.

I have almost 200K KM (125K Miles) and I still have factory pressure at the fuel rail.

I'm going to change it for good measure at the next timing belt, Hyundai gives you an access port under one of the rear seats to get into the fuel tank from above and remove the pump for filter replacement. Pretty great idea if you ask me... Don't have to drop the Exhaust and the tank to get at it.
thumbsup2.gif

I have found rust particulates in carburetors, especially on farm equipment that are fueled from on-farm tanks. These particles were too large to clog a filter, but a filter would have been a handy aftermarket device.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

On a serious note...

My Santa Fe has a "lifetime" fuel filter on the pump itself inside the fuel-tank it only needs to be replaced if there is a problem. It's about 6" x 4" It is a 2 micron filter and the fuel pump also has a screen on the pickup tube to stop the bigger dirt particles from getting to the filter.

Wow, they actually gave you the specs for the OEM filter?
That's very fine filtration for a gasoline engine.

They don't give the specs out normally, but I have a great relationship with a dealership here, and have found out from them via HMA that it's a 2 micron spec. (Call me Anal) I had to know!
grin2.gif

I have a local Texaco gas station near me and have watched them change the filter about every 4 months. I grabbed one to see and on was stamped 5u. I assume that all major stations do a similar maintenance. Not sure what independs do or if they even have a filter changeing protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back