Would anyone consider...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Patman, I would use the 5W40, but I would also use the 5W-50 if I needed that viscosity. For the rest, I would prefer to wait until they import the Edge line wholesale...well, I can hope can't I?

I'll agree with Buster,not knocking the oil but as a gpIII base oil the price should be less. Not a good value .

Just for giggles i picked up a 5 qt jug of Syntec 5w-30 when wally world had a price break for about $18.xx making it about 3 something a qt to try it out, but with all the other free and low price oil on hand having a hard time deciding when I am going to run it.

For me, value is a function of cost and performance. I could not care less about the cost of the starting materials.

I have used 5W50 in the past and am currently running a mix of BC (5W40) and Redline racing (5wt). I still use Castrol 5W50 as a supplement to 5W20 in may wifes Mercury in the summer.

I like to stick with oils made by the Krauts because time and time again they show how persnikety they are about the making of oils. IOW, I've noticed a correlation between German oils and unusual quality...not that I like them just because I think it's cool. So my answer is no based on testing and personal experience.

GMorg, that's one I haven't tried or tested but didn't include it in the "Syntecs I'd try" because if I needed an oil that thick for whatever reason at operating temps, I'd first try a thick 40 weight such as M1 5W-40 (old or new label) and if I still had excessive consumption or low oil pressure, I'd next try to fix the cause of it if I had the $ to do it. But that's just me...5W-50 Syntec may be a good way to control those things without having molasses oil at low temps and without needing to replace valve seals, piston rings, etc. And mixing it in as a thickener has it's place too as you are doing.

I know the new 5W-40 Syntec is more volatile than GC and it caused as much consumption in my VW 1.8T engine as GC did, so I see no advantage of using the new 5W-40 instead of GC. Maybe the BC was better than the new version 5W-40 though? I don't know.

quote:

I like to stick with oils made by the Krauts because

lol.gif

pscholte, if Castrol gave us the good stuff, such as GC, in various grades, I'd be all over it. But just like Castrol has always done, they play gimmicky marketing games. Nothing wrong with regular Syntec in terms of wear, but their are better oils out there for the $$ that can go further if need be.

Castrol should create a nice Elf-pscholte 5w-20 using the GC chemistry.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I like to stick with oils made by the Krauts because

lol.gif

But just like Castrol has always done, they play gimmicky marketing games. Nothing wrong with regular Syntec in terms of wear, but their are better oils out there for the $$ that can go further if need be.
grin.gif

O, common!!!
They're all playing marketing games designed to get attention of an average Joe.
This is how they create, support their brand recognition.
Buster, the problem with your statement is that we don't really know what changes have been made to the rest of the Castrol line.
Only GC has been analyzed to determine its chemistry.
The blenders are constantly tweaking their products, so I won't be so categorically against the non-GC grades.
You're so dead set on the "PAO=best performance myth".
The basestocks is not the only story.
It's the right combo of the quality basestocks+additives that makes or breaks an oil.

vad, why not use a Group II+ oil then like Havoline at $1.50qt? Will last just as long as Castrol Syntec at a fraction of the cost. Mobil 1 isn't superior in terms of wear (maybe extreme high temps), but it's 12 TBN will out last Castrol's Group III. So IMO, if I'm going to spend $5 or more, it should last quite long....at least 15k miles. Have you seen any 15-20k mile Syncrap reports? I havn't. Syntec is over priced. I'd chose MC, Havoline, and Chevron over Castrol.

quote:

vad, why not use a Group II+ oil then like Havoline at $1.50qt? Will last just as long as Castrol Syntec at a fraction of the cost. Mobil 1 isn't superior in terms of wear (maybe extreme high temps), but it's 12 TBN will out last Castrol's Group III. So IMO, if I'm going to spend $5 or more, it should last quite long....at least 15k miles. Have you seen any 15-20k mile Syncrap reports? I havn't. Syntec is over priced. I'd chose MC, Havoline, and Chevron over Castrol.

Buster,
1. Mobil 1's TBN is not any larger than of Syntec's.
2. Castrol tends to have better add packs.
3. Group III of today is light years ahead of what it used to be 5-10 years ago.
4. Please present any documented 15-20K UOA's of Mobil 1. I wanna see it too.
5. Your closed-minded bias against Castrol is painfully obvious.
Are you on a quest against evil Castrol?
confused.gif

Vad, Mobil 1 EP has a TBN of 12.
Prove Castrol add pack is better.
Group III's are better than before.
Do a search in the UOA section, you'll find some 15k mile + UOA's.
Your obsession with Castrol is scary.

vad, nothing wrong with syntec other than the price. Again, just my opinion but if the entire line was as good as GC, my opinion would change. Maybe they have improved it?

[ May 27, 2006, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

TBN of 12 by what method/test?
What's the TBN of GC or Syntec 5w-40 by the same lab/method?
And please, you prove that the Castrol pack is any worse.
You were making some interesting claims here, not me.
Now please back them up, or stop claiming things you have no data to support.

Price?
Tell me about the price of Mobil 1 then.
confused.gif

And how do you know that the modern 5w40 or 10w40 Syntec is chemically any worse than the 0w-30 GC grade?
There was only one grade, 0w-30 tested, right?

quote:

Your obsession with Castrol is scary.

Really?
What's scary is the constant and baseless condemnation of Syntec by certain members of this board.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back