Would a station wagon be considered an old man car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided my 1990 Ciera SL is too far gone to save. I pulled up the insulation that is underneath the rear seats and I found more friggin' rust. The floor underneath the seat cushion is rotted out and split in one place. I decided right then and there that the car wasn't worth saving. I was looking in the classifieds this weekend and I saw an ad for a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon. Went up with my dad today to take a look at it. Body has rust spots in a few places, but they're not rusted through yet. It needs rear shocks. gas tank, some exhaust work and maybe a windshield. Fortunately enough for me, all those parts are good on my Ciera SL, and I'm pretty sure they'll fit the Cruiser. I started it up, and it runs rough with the Check engine light on, I assume a sensor has gone south, but no worry, all the sensors on the Ciera SL's engine work fine. The oil pressure gauge rose instantly and remained solidly in place while the engine was running so I assume that means at least the lube system is in good shape. I checked the oil and it was full, oil on the stick was dark colored but not overly so, and it wasn't dirty. I did happen to see an orange can with the evil Fram name on it, that'll be the first thing I change on this wagon. The Cruiser is only on it's third owner, a Chevrolet dealer owned it for the first few months, then it was sold to a police officer who had it for a number of years, then the current owner bought it 3 years ago. It's got A/C which might not work, power reclining driver's seat, power windows, 3300 engine, 4 speed OD tranny and the optional third row seat in the cargo area. This wagon has the 'rally' wheels, which I think don't look all that good so I'll be replacing them with the alloy wheels that are on the Ciera SL. I'll be going back on Thursday or Friday to give the guy the $300 he's asking for the car. I'll take pictures with my crappy little digital camera and post them so those who are interested can take a look.

Sounds like you got a deal.

For $300, which is not even a car payment for a lot of people, you have clear ownership of an entire car that is still very competitive with anything built today fuel-economy wise.

Even if the engine were to blow up 3 months from now, you'd still be doing fairly good.

If any jock teases you about the car, just ask them how many drinks they could buy for the ladies for the value of the depreciation on their car in a month.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

If any jock teases you about the car, just ask them how many drinks they could buy for the ladies for the value of the depreciation on their car in a month.
lol.gif

And you can tell them its got a huge backseat.

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

lol.gif

And you can tell them its got a huge backseat.

The backseat folds flat so you got room for a waterbed.
cool.gif

My 85 Volvo wagon is like an enclosed pickup with a lower center of gravity and can seat seven in a pinch.

Chevrolet dealers do not have new oldsmobiles Ever...or they would have been oldsmobile dealers, get the vin# and go to carfaxonline.com and get the real story on the vehicles past registrations, I believe you'll be glad you spent the 5 bucks or so. But, then again why would you want to spend any money on that TURD.

quote:

Originally posted by Area51:
Chevrolet dealers do not have new oldsmobiles Ever...or they would have been oldsmobile dealers, get the vin# and go to carfaxonline.com and get the real story on the vehicles past registrations, I believe you'll be glad you spent the 5 bucks or so. But, then again why would you want to spend any money on that TURD.

Bite me

Old man's car..nah. SWs are very popular in EU.

Some if not all enthusiast Passat B5 sw owners call it a variant...I call mine a 4dr..."Shooting Brake".
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Spitty:
SWs stopped being un-cool 5 years ago.
Big A$$ SUVs that never go off road are un-cool now.

Don't tell the soccer moms and dads that. They just paid off the Explorer and Hummer.

I like rear wheel drive.

Yes, an old beater wagon is rather uncool, way beyond just an "old man's car". Also, It cannot have much life left as you describle it. Pass on it.

IMO, a older BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Volvo wagon is a nice vehicle with a bit of practical style. Even so, you had better be handy with a wrench.

I've seen some Saab, BMW & Mercedes wagons lately that don't look like an old man's car at all. I'd be more than happy to drive any of them. But, a $300 Olds...........I'd definitely drive that, because I, too, love a deal!
smile.gif

[ March 29, 2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

$300 for a driver, with your existing car as a parts car for it, man thats a deal that no one could argue against. SW are not uncool but utilitarian. Super Super deal you have there!

quote:

Originally posted by Area51:

Not everyone wants or can afford nice new/used cars. I'd never buy a car from someone with your attitude. Now I know why car salesmen are so dispised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back