Would 5w30 Synthetic Pour as well as conventional 5w-20 cold temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be doing an oil change soon on my 06 Honda Civic, and I was wondering if Mobil1 5w-30 would pour as well as a conventional 5w-20 in cold temps. I want to run a synthetic oil such as Mobil1 since my drain intervals are going to be at least 10,000 kms based on the OLM calculations, and there aren't any 20 weight synthetics on any store shelves in my area. I was thinking Mobil1 5w-30 might be sufficient. Any opinions ?

Regarding the Cold Viscosity Discussion, similar to your question, I had wondered if the "0w" part of the oil ratings would mean I'd get better flow out of a 0w-30/40 compared to a 5w-20, and found out that the "0w" part didn't get me better cold starts for temperatures I encounter of around -5 degF up to 32 degF or so. The M1 5w-20 was thinner than those two with "0w" in them, and the 5w-20 is always thinner than 5w-30 as well.

Actually, Idrinkmotoroil, consider using the new M1 0w-20, since most wear occurs at start-up and you live in Canada, almost as cold as Colorado (hee-hee).

If it doesn't get below -30C there, there won't be much difference between any 5W oils. If it does, go with a 0W. I'd go 0W-X0 for almost any Canadian winter.
smile.gif

thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated.

As far as cold weather temps, we don't get too cold in my area, I'm about 1.5 hours north of Detroit. It doesn't get too much colder than -10C , we might have couple nights close to -15 C but not that often. Most days are between -5C and 0C. This year we had a fair number of 10C days, which was pretty sweet for winter.

Thanks for the great info. I wish I could find Mobi1l 0w-20 or 5w-20 on store shelves but we just don't get it right now. I could likely order it but I hate mail ordering oil/fluids for the most part. I prefer to just buy off store shelves.

Most Canadian Tire stores where I live still do carry decent stock of Mobil 1 0W20 with them. Infact, just today I bought 8 litres of 0W20 as it is currently on sale at 17% off regular price. (sorry don't remember the exact price).

0W20 that I bought is still SL rated, I also remember seeing the new 5W20 Mobil 1 but it was definately SM rated and was in new style bottle.

I just bought M1 0W20 on sale at Canadian Tire.
For your area you may want to go with GC 0W30, also on sale. Another option is Esso XD3 0W30, the cheapest PAO synth of them all.

In any case you should be able to find the right type at Canadian Tire this week. Esso is sold at Esso Bulk stations.

P.S.: I have M1 5W30 in my CRV right now and runs great, starts great.

I'll make a trip to my local Crappy Tire and see if they are now carrying Mobil1 20 weights, last time I was there they didn't have any , but maybe there are starting to get it into their distribution chain. Thanks for the info.

Patman, I do not have the Si , I just got the 4 door sedan - 140 hp 5 speed automatic. I needed a purely economical second vehicle that gets good fuel economy for all of the highway driving I'm doing, so I couldn't argue with the 50 mpg rating. Their list of safety equipment was pretty impressive too. I looked at the Si, and while the Si is a really nice car,it's still a torqueless wonder like many of the sportier Civics that I owned in the past and I've kinda grown tired of that driving style. My other car is a Dodge SRT4 which isn't that practical as a high mile daily driver, but it is fun to drive at any speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back