Worth switching to a synthetic high milage.

Hey eveyone.
I have a question I drive a 2011 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo with the 3.6 penstar engine with 160 000 km on the clock no issues or leaks. Only ever seen 5w30 conventional oil. I was seeing high milage synthetic oil for close to the same price as conventional. Would there be any pros or cons switching? Would it be worth it? Could I extend my drain interval from 5000km to 10 000?

Thanks in advance...

Does it make you feel more comfortable? If so, the yes, do it.

I can’t comment on the OCI. Perhaps send a sample for testing at 5000 and see how your engine is doing before you Extend the OCI.

Reactions: JC1
If this switch will make you change less often then I'd say no if it was my car. I believe diligence in maintenance is key rather than synth vs dino. Unless you want to use synthetic and continue your usual oci's

You are in Canada. What brand of oil do you normally use and which oil filter? On my caravan I can go over 10,000 kms between oil changes and the oil monitor won't come on. Max I've done was just over 11,000 kms on Pennzoil Platinum. I'm sure I could go longer, but to me I'd rather change it out earlier. Usually do lots of short trips. Whatever you do, make sure you check the oil level at least once a month and don't assume your Jeep will never burn or consume oil.

As others have said, do a used oil analysis if you really want to know how good the oil holds up for your application.

Either the conventional or High Mileage should be fine. I personally would use the Regular just because that’s what has worked for me.

You are in Canada. What brand of oil do you normally use and which oil filter? On my caravan I can go over 10,000 kms between oil changes and the oil monitor won't come on.
Oil Life Monitors don't actually measure any property of the oil; they are simple algorithmic counters. Consider your OLM to be a worst case scenario with the minimal permissible oil. 10,000 kms is by no means a stretch for today's synthetic oils.

I am running Valvoline Advance Maxlife in my Caravan. I have run high mileage for last 10 years in older and newer never a problem.

Back