Worth spending more for more efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 jeep commander with 180,000 miles. I do 3k oci and currently have been buying 99% efficiency with 10k rated filters. Should I just switch to using the cheaper ones with less filtration? I will still be using full synthetic and I will not leave the same filter on for more than one oci. Does anyone know the efficiency of premium guard or eco guard?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I would stay with the quality filter and run it for 2 OCIs.
In your case, maybe even 3.

Yeah, with doing 3K OCIs, something like the Ultra could be left on for 4 oil changes and still only have 12K miles on it.

Sorry. I know some in here will leave the same filter on for multiple oci but I'd rather just change the thing. The ecoguard is 97%...

OT: spent many a summers loading live munitions on A-10s @ Fort Drum. I recall going there in November once Not doing that again....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
OT: spent many a summers loading live munitions on A-10s @ Fort Drum. I recall going there in November once Not doing that again....

Yeah, just left. Miserable place in a miserable state.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
For 3k, it really doesn't matter what kind of filter you use

Or oil.

If you're going to keep using syn oil for 3K changes you may as well use the better filter. What is a couple bucks when you're already spending extra for no reason.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
For 3k, it really doesn't matter what kind of filter you use

Or oil.

with 180k miles and already burning oil, is there any reason to change it?
Top-ups are already replenishing the additive pack.
21.gif

Originally Posted by hatt
If you're going to keep using syn oil for 3K changes you may as well use the better filter. What is a couple bucks when you're already spending extra for no reason.

Yeah, total waste of money. I would do 5-7k on semi synthetic oil with just a regular filter.

OP could probably do 5-7k on synthetic and just check the oil more often and top up as needed. Wasting oil is also bad for the environment.

Your oil filter numbers are not complete..

all oil filters are 100% at 100 microns.. what were the filters measured at.

Originally Posted by Rand
Your oil filter numbers are not complete..

all oil filters are 100% at 100 microns.. what were the filters measured at.

The eco guard is at 25 microns.

Your gaining absolutely nothing buying extended interval filters. I'm not saying buy $3 economy filters but your mid level "follow the factory interval" "up to 10k mile" filters hold up WAY beyond 3k miles (or 5k miles).

Back in the middle 1990's, I ran a plain Motorcraft FL-1A on a 2-bbl 400M in my '79 F250. (daily 150 mile trips)

3x OCI's at 10,000 miles each = 30,000 on that one oil filter.

End result?
The filter doesn't ever get close to being plugged - - **IF** you do regular oil changes.

At the end of my experiment, I cut the filter open and examined it closely.
The engine was still clean inside and the oil filter had no appreciable debris in the pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back