Worth dropping the pan to change filter and clean magnets? 09 Elantra

Drop pan to change filter and clean magnets?

• Yes, absolutely change it out!

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No, The 3X3 method is good enough

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
So i've been thinking about this since i did the 3X3 method on the 09 Elantra automatic a couple weeks ago, the transmission fluid is now bright red, shifts and engages gears great,(9.5 times out of 10, but will get a slight jerk into reverse if conditions are just right, a "normal" driver will not even notice) but i did a little research, and see i can drop the pan to change the filter, and clean the magnets.. Is this worth doing? I'd use Hyundai OEM filter, with Maxlife ATF.

In my mind, i did not do a "complete" job because i did not change the filter, or clean the magnets, and i'd assume, (you know what they say about assuming) that the filter is original, and affecting transmission flow or something, and the magnets are full of that black clutch plate material.... thus is not able to pick up any more material.

Or am i just slightly too OCD, and changing the filter and cleaning the magnets is a complete waste of time for this transmission, as long as i keep up on the 3X3 fluid changes?

This is the OEM Hyundai Filter only $29 https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-filter-assy-valve-bo~46321-23001.html

Thanks for all input!

Attachments

• Hyundai Transmission .jpg
    Hyundai Transmission .jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 18
Chances are that filter is simply a “metallic screen” designed to keep out boulders. if, in the off chance it’s synthetic material, then wouldn’t hurt to swap it out. But if it’s running fine, I wouldn’t give the reverse issue much of a thought, as long as it’s working as advertised.

1) How blackened was the old fluid?
2) If it's shifting fine there's likely no buildup on the filter to starve the pump.

However, if it was my car with your mileage I'd drop the pan, change the filter and clean the magnets really just because it's an inexpensive task, I could get a look inside and I MIGHT CATCH SOMETHING UNEXPECTED. Sometimes you'll see bits of something caught (aka a partially blocked screen) or an alarming layer of sediment on the pan....a thick layer just waiting to be disturbed and lifted up by some shock.

Most transmission filters are coarse rock catchers and you may find nothing caught.....but then you'd know. There will be stuff on the magnet.

You may find some dirt on the screen...and after changing the filter and closing it up you may find the reverse condition remedied.
Think how good that'd feel.

Last edited:
1) How many miles are on your vehicle?
2) How blackened was the old fluid?
3) If it's shifting fine there's likely no buildup on the filter to starve the pump.

However, if it was my car and had a buncha miles on it I'd drop the pan, change the filter and clean the magnets really just because it's an inexpensive task, I could get a look inside and I MIGHT CATCH SOMETHING UNEXPECTED. Sometimes you'll see bits of something caught (aka a partially blocked screen) or an alarming layer of sediment on the pan....a thick layer just waiting to be disturbed and lifted up by some shock.

Most transmission filters are coarse rock catchers and you may find nothing caught.....but then you'd know. There will be stuff on the magnet.

You may find some dirt on the screen...and after changing the filter and closing it up you may find the reverse condition remedied.
Think how good that'd feel.
1: Car has 114.7K
2: The old fluid was purple-ish, its been serviced before.
3: Shifts pretty well under all conditions even at redline.

Maybe im looking for a problem that is not there lol.

Age? I already did a 3X3 with maxlife, and while i had a improvment, i was not trying to fix any issues, just give it some TLC. the transmission is not slipping, flaring, or burning the fluid.

And I think you are good with what you did for now. Tough to say how well it was cared for in those 11 years. I’d at minimum give it time to see how it does before investing in more fluid…..

A majority of the votes 61.5% agree and say I should drop the pan, change the filter and clean the magnets. That's what im going to do!.

Thanks for your feedback! :-D

You only need a 3x3 if you used the wrong fluid, or if you went 200k without ever changing the ATF. Otherwise, a single drain is enough, just one drain every (mfr spec interval)

There is really no need to drop the pan because the filter doesn't do much.

I have a 2008 Kia Spectra, which I believe is mechanically the same car as your Elantra.
I dropped the pan and changed the filter an cleaned magnets at 180k miles. It kinda felt like a waste of time, because the filter showed no visible debris, and the magnets just had some minor fuzz on them.
Have 192k on it now and shifting fine.
I also dumped Maxlife in it.
I get the occassional hard thump into reverse as well.

Back