Worth doing an analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been up in the air about 6 mo versus 1 year OCI on my wife's '07 Acura. She puts so few miles on it that if we went by the computer it would be over a year between changes. Since next month would be the 6 month mark, I was wondering if doing an analysis would be worth doing to show which would work better?

Right now I've got PU in it and have had 'dealer synthetic' in it about once a year since new up until I started doing it myself in May. She drives short trips (under 5 miles) about 2-3 times a week and about once a month we take it over 20 miles one way to the shopping area.

If your concerned a UOA would give you a piece of mind. In the old days there was a saying "3 months/3000 miles whichever comes first". Modern oils extend OCI's far beyond that but the basic principle still remains. Oil starts to age once its out of the bottle miles or no miles.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
just keep changing out at 6 months

+1. Short trips and all. I always went no more than 6 months back when I had 3 cars (two of them beaters) and so none got all that much mileage. No issues when changing at 6 months max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back