Worst possible place for the ECU

So Ford decided that the Maverick’s ECU location should be in the lower front bumper where the majority of accident damage happens. A common fender bender could be in the thousands to repair if this crucial part is damaged in any way.
63CBF8D8-2E67-4058-821D-3D0DA6E2EAB3.jpeg

If the harness or connecter gets damaged beyond repair, do you have to R&I the engine to replace the harness?

When I engine swapped my cabriolet I just stuck the ecu in the cowl under the rain tray. Swore I'd move it somewhere proper and never did.

But I did put it in a plastic bag 🤣

Time will tell about Ford's questionable placement. It looks like it's in a "watertight" enclosure, no?

Oh brother a major fail right out of the box and people say the engineers know best. I guess they found this one sitting on the village wall.
Looking at the construction this is a very light duty vehicle.
The engineer does know best: how to increase sales of ECUs, wire harnesses and trips to the dealer to get the computer programmed, reset, etc.

Wow, you are right OP, that is a horrible spot. IMHO my former 2004 F150 ECU was where it should be....passenger side high mount just under the hood. Safe and protected as best you can from any off road wetness and easy to get to if needed.

The engineer does know best: how to increase sales of ECUs, wire harnesses and trips to the dealer to get the computer programmed, reset, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if the engineers said that it was a bad idea but the accountants (for whatever reason) overruled them.

And I'm not sure trips there would benefit them as many would be well under the warranty period, thus costing them money.

When I engine swapped my cabriolet I just stuck the ecu in the cowl under the rain tray. Swore I'd move it somewhere proper and never did.

But I did put it in a plastic bag 🤣

Time will tell about Ford's questionable placement. It looks like it's in a "watertight" enclosure, no?

I asked a guy who worked with solar accessories what they heck they did, and he said his company's product was basically epoxied for a complete waterproof seal that should last 20 years even in a bad storm. I doubt they do that with an ECU. I participate on a message board dealing with mobile phones, and the water resistance comes up more often than it should when someone decides that they think (despite the warnings to not do it) that the water resistance standard advertised means one can take an iPhone underwater.

Back