Worst Oil related Products, ones you would NOT use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Fram products, slick 50, prolong and other "magic" oil adds, $12 oil filters
wink.gif
, ramps.

I can't see any good reason to any longer use:

Marvel Mystery Oil
Seafoam
GUNK Engine Cleaner
(and other similar products)

It is my impression that they are inferior in effectiveness and chemistry to LC-20 (or FP-60) or Auto-Rx.

quote:

Is an oil properly formulated if it has formulation restrictions due to CAFE requirements?

yes i presume you are refering to the api and other such organisations which put limits on certain additives, and yes this is a good thing because they try and restrict bad things from being formulated in oils.

without the api and other governing bodys an oil formulator is free to put whatever nasty engnine harming additives they wish into an oil and play it off as "good".

by the way, i think the worst related oil product is those quart bottles of non detergent oil sold at some gas stations and dollar stores.

STP oil additive. Tried this stuff earlier this year in a car that had some minor oil seepage ... product was advertised to "stop or reduce oil seepage/leaks". What it did was cause the "Engine Malfunction" light to come on within 10 miles off adding it to my engine. I immediately went home, drained the oil, and refilled with Mobil Drive Clean Blend (to address oil seepage). Reset light, never came on again ... thankfully.

Any STP product, octane boosters, Slick 50, MMO, any belt dressing, Off brand oil and filters, Basic Fram oil filters, Turtle wax products I'm sure there is others but, I muct leave now. ed

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is an oil properly formulated if it has formulation restrictions due to CAFE requirements?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes i presume you are refering to the api and other such organisations which put limits on certain additives, and yes this is a good thing because they try and restrict bad things from being formulated in oils.

without the api and other governing bodys an oil formulator is free to put whatever nasty engnine harming additives they wish into an oil and play it off as "good".

Would you say that Redline is giving us a lot of nasty stuff? The API and other governing bodies also restrict good things from the oil. It's nice to know that when all else fails, Redline will be there. I don't have to worry about warranty either, because I never buy new vehicles.

quote:

by the way, i think the worst related oil product is those quart bottles of non detergent oil sold at some gas stations and dollar stores.

Hey, what happened here? This stuff is even API rated and that is farther than most people look.

BTW, another worst oil related product is those oil coolers with the fins that clamp on the filter.

I've been using a oil cooler with the fins that clamp on the filter on my Wheelhorse lawn tractor, which is air cooled. The cooler is clamped on the hydrostatic transmission filter I can't prove it helps, but on an air cooled lawn mower that relays on surface area for cooling I would think it should help, that filter gets HOT, at least I'm sure it cant hurt. Any comments?

STP Oil Additive - when I was 16, I put it in my 1998 Hyundai Accent... all it did is make my Valves Sticky, so I had to put in a Valve chemical to make it not stick again.

Any Engines flushes.. except Auto-RX.

quote:

quote:
quote:

Would you say that Redline is giving us a lot of nasty stuff? The API and other governing bodies also restrict good things from the oil. It's nice to know that when all else fails, Redline will be there. I don't have to worry about warranty either, because I never buy new vehicles.

quote:

Hey, what happened here? This stuff is even API rated and that is farther than most people look.

BTW, another worst oil related product is those oil coolers with the fins that clamp on the filter.

im not sure about redline. i dont consider an oil useable for an engine unless it is a custom application or some other valid reason. naturally a quart of w30 supertech oil isnt suitable for an f1, and likewise f1 oil isnt suited to my sisters honda civic. i dont consider putting a non certified oil into a passenger automobile to be a very good thing. using a non certified oil means relying on a kiss and a promise from the oil formulator that they know what youre engine needs better than the people who originally made the specs.
personally i look for an oil thats been tested and certified to be the correct oil for the application.
my sisters civic gets api certified oil because thats what honda specs. if honda said that she needs some f1 oil, you can bet her car would be using that instead.

also, i could be wrong but i dont think the api does not actually issues liscences for sa sb oils anymore. i think those quart bottles are just saying they are similar to those old requirements. whatever.

Well Master ACiD, you may be right on that SA/SB stuff, but I imagine the requirements are so minimal that it would be easy to meet.

Even certified oils do not always meet spec (so random testing of off-the-shelf oils has shown). Ultimately you have to trust the company blending the oil.

I don't think Redline actually gets the certification, but tests their own oil and, being confident in that, they state that the oil is recommended for cars requiring the spec, but not actually say it meets the spec. For engine protection I am sure it exceeds the spec.

quote:

Shoot. You don't want it? Gee I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow, where is this store that's giving it away for free?

That was 10 years ago in Grand Auto (now part of Kragen), I think it was given away after too many complains and returns (after being used)

I modified it later by using wax from candle to seal up 3 of the 4 holes, and use the remaining hole for funnel. This "drain pan" has no lid, by the way.

quote:

I've got a FRAM on both of my cars right now.

I've got a Fram too -- crushed easily in my left hand (I'm right-handed, btw). This is the guts of a Fram that fits an Infiniti VQ35DE V-6.
 -

I'm especially amused by how the centertube in the Fram collapsed as if made from foil. It then dropped free like this:
 -

Try this with a Champion Labs product (M1, Bosch Premium, STP, Valuecraft, etc.). Yeah, definitely add FRAM to my list of "NO WAY" products.

"i was considering RX but i think i saw 3 no's on here. please tell us why not to use it ?"

Too many buy it who don't have any evidence they need it.

Did they measure compression? No

Did they bother taking off their valve cover and noting if things are dirty? No

It's a bunch of butt dyno, feel good crap without evidence.

I have the same thoughts on LC.

Show me the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back