Worst accident you've witnessed

Wow Bud ^^^^^

Mine I have typed on here a number of times...

18-20 year old kid with cerebral cortex sticking out of forehead. . Running from the police... Barrel rolled his car. Head went through the driver's side window... Road rash on side of his face. Dead on scene. Fixed and dilated.

For nothing... Started a fight at the local Walmart. Followed that person home... Police called. Chase began.

I was first one on scene other than a Gloucester county officer who had been chasing them.

What a waste... I shook my head negative fashion when his 3 buddies asked if he was ok...

Oh I ment to add. Fifteen years ago or so my Dad and I went to an EAA get together at the Centennial Airport. Towards the end the skies darkened and the wind picked up as the last of the aircraft left. Two T-6 Texans roared down the field pulled back full rudder right and were gone. A guy in an ultralight buzzed down the runway pulled back got maybe 30 ft off the ground then a gust of wind caught him and he winged over onto the runway. He got up but probably didn't fly in bad weather for a while.

Had to be back about 1971, late spring like this time of the year, late at night, northeast Iowa. A friend and I, both about 20 yr old, were heading to the city for a late night bite to eat. On a county road, middle of the county, came over a rise, up ahead headlights shining up into the sky, a couple cars stopped by an intersection with headlights aiming out into a field, too. We saw something on the fence to our left, stopped, it was a skirt with legs hanging on the barbed wire fence. We walked out into the field, beans not too tall, saw the top half of the lady laying face down. We did not get close.

Walked a little farther into the field and saw a lady, who said she was a nurse, working on a middle aged guy lying on his back in the middle of the field about 100 yd away, seemed to be alive. We asked what we could do to help and she said ambulances were on the way. We walked to the scene of the accident. One car, a 68 or 69 GTO, on its top in the ditch, a couple of pairs of feet and ankles sticking out from under the roof. One guy was on the side of the road being worked on. Lots of beer cans in the overturned car.

The other car that belonged to the couple in the field was also in the field, a total mess. The story in the newspaper later said the GTO had run a stop sign and t-boned the older couple, killed the wife, husband lived. There were 4 young guys in the GTO, 1 survived, the others ended up underneath the car. I remember the details but would rather not.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
I've seen many bad accidents in my career...exploding Pinto's, head on collisions, people run over with brain matter under the vehicle, a guy who didn't pull far enough off the road and was getting his spare tire out of his trunk when a tractor trailer hit him. One of the bad one's was a young man and his sister who were hit by a skidding car in icy conditions on an overpass....they were knocked over the divider and fell about 7 stories to the roadway below...she died...he lived...he was a promising young boxer who had won the Golden Gloves and his conditioning probably saved him although he never fought again. etc...early on they bothered me....eventually you harden up in order to keep your sanity. My daughter went through the same thing when she first started out as a critical care nurse.... I advised her not to take it personally for her own emotional well being.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/bl...5-feet-overpass-killing-article-1.969262

Here's another one I went to....when the fire was out basically only a skeleton remained:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/nyregion/gas-tanker-fire-in-bronx-closes-bruckner-expressway.html

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

Another one, not a car wreck, I had just got onto the Boulevard of the Allies by Mercy Hospital and traveled about a 1/4 mile towards downtown and there was a full size deer on the road running and ziz-zagging into the opposing traffic and back into my side a couple of times. The deer was at full speed and obviously panicked, cars were traveling in both directions. The deer was on the outbound side and took a leap off of the road towards the river. Where it leaped the drop off must be well over 150 feet. I do not know where it landed but there was no way it could have survived.

One day I was driving down Second Avenue when all of a sudden a deer came falling out of the sky and landed on the truck in front of me.
lol.gif

1984 on Rt 10 near Concord VT we came to a line of stopped traffic. Being curious decided to walk to reason for stopped traffic and found a Datsun 210 that had hit a Ford dump truck dead center. Truck driver was walking toward me shaking. In the Datsun was a young couple dead. Car was crushed and as I neared it some one said there is a small boy on the back seat floor gasping. A minute or so later two men approached and said they were father and son doctors and we needed to get the child out so they could evaluate. I stood on the cowel and pulled the roof up as high as possible so the docs could extricate the child. I left soon after as my wife and 16 year old son were back in the car.

In 1979 I was in Monroeville PA leaving work heading home and decided to stop in the mall. I was going around the turn to enter the mall and a small sports car was upside down facing the wrong direction in my lane. Apparently it had been exiting the mall and went around the turn too fast and hit the small cement divider between the different direction lanes and flipped completely over. Back then no one had cell phones so I went into the mall to look for a pay phone to call the police but could not find one. I went back to the scene and the police were already there just standing around the car. I do not know if people were in the car, or if they were thrown clear of it as it flipped. I think the car was a convertible before the flip, with a cloth top, because it was resting on the hood and trunk and top of the doors where the windows go into.

I do not remember what year, I guess about 10 years ago I was on 79 North and a full size red pickup truck was upside down and resting on the hood and the bed of the truck with the cab completely crushed and there was a utility trailer upright connected to the back of the truck with chains. The police were already on the scene. I do not think anyone in that truck could have survived that.

Back in the 1970's I was with my dad and brother traveling North on 79 up near Pymatuning at night in the winter to go duck hunting and the road was icy. There was a red light pulsing on and off, ahead on the road like a rotating red light on a police car, and all the traffic was stopping. We slowed to a stop and as we did we got closer to the flashing rotating red light. The visibility was poor with wet snow and at first we could not make out what was going on ahead. Then the rotating red flashing light slowed down the rate it was flashing on and off and when it got slow enough we saw a Volkswagen Beetle with a small trailer attached to it spinning around in the center of the road upright and completely intact. The red light was coming from the brake lights of the trailer. That car and trailer had to be really spinning fast to cause the red pulsing light we initially saw.

About 5 years ago I was in the exit of the parking lot of Dependable Brakes and Exhaust on 1110 Saw Mill Run (Rt 51) just sitting in the exit on the South side of the lot waiting for there to be no traffic in the South bound lanes so I could pull out. A group of cars was coming down the North bound lane and in the fast lane a late model Chevy Impala was passing everyone that was in the right lane. The left front tire of that Impala must have gone up on the lip of the cement highway divider and in an instant all of that Impala was up on top of the cement divider which is about three feet tall. The Impala was sliding down the road on-top of the cement divider and spinning around. It spun an entire 360 with the center of the bottom of the car centered on the divider with the car perfectly level and somehow the wheels did not get caught on the divider as it spun around (I still do not know how none of the wheels got caught on that divider as it spun around, but I saw it and it really happened). Then the next instant the Impala now facing the correct direction again after doing a 360, somehow came off the cement divider and landed flat on all 4 tires back in the fast lane of rt 51 North bound and it slowed down like the driver was no longer giving it any throttle. Then it slowly drove away. The whole thing was over with in a few seconds. All the cars that the Impala had passed had slowed down as this was going on and it was amazing that the Impala was able to drive away after that. I though if the driver of that Impala decides to sell it after that I would not want to be the person who buys it. I also though that I wish I had a dash camera going because unless you saw it you would think it could not have ever happened. I bet if anyone ever checked the cement divider in-front of the south exit the skid marks would still be on top of it.

Last edited:
I presided over a case where the a guy's wife and her brother conspired to kill him. Brother got him dead drunk then left him in the SB lane of I-65, where he was run over by a semi that never stopped(and was never identified). The couple would have probably have gotten away with it had the brother had a better alibi(he claimed the victim jumped out of his truck, but there were no abrasions on the victim consistent with that). Then there was the wife, who when told by the State Trooper her hubby was in an accident, replied, "Oh no! Was he hit by a truck?"

i had to leave the fab shop and spend the day at Tampa General Hospital on Davis Island. I sent my son there to help put the pre fab pipe together.
As my son and I were leaving Davis Island to get on Bay To Bay Blvd., a man on a motorcycle was run over by a semi truck. My son and I witnessed the whole thing. All I can say is I know what it looks like for a watermelon to be smashed! I still see that accident in my mind over and over like it had happened yesterday.
But, that doesn't compare to what is seen in war.
frown.gif

1980, I was driving home from work, driving my brothers 1970 Skylark that was on its last legs about a month away from going to the bone-yard. I was in Eastliberty and as I entered a 4 way intersection I caught a gimps of something moving fast towards the intersection on my right and got on the brakes and a car to my right ran a red light and flew into the intersection and I T-boned it in the drivers door. It was a Dodge Aspen. After both cars stopped I wet over to the Aspen and asked the driver if he was OK. While I was talking to the driver of the other car the intersection traffic light changed colors. The driver of the other car then got out of his car and said he was OK, and there was a strong smell of wine on his breath. He looks at the traffic light and said to me, "my light is green yours is red". I said "yes now it is but when you ran the light you had a red light". He then said he has his son in the car and we both look in his car and his little boy is still strapped in the middle of the back seat and he is OK. Then a man who was sitting in his car at the road to my left who had a red light when the accident happened, gets out of his car and said he saw the whole thing and gave me his information. No one had cell phones those days so I could not call the police, but I filed a report. About a month later I get a phone call at work and it is the other cars insurance agency. I told them how the accident happened and about the strong smell of wine on the breath of the other driver, and when I told them that the other car was an Aspen they questioned me weather I was sure it was an Aspen or could it have been a Volare. I said if it was a Volart it had an Aspen front end on it. I then told them the contact info of the witness. The other drivers insurance agent paid for the totaling of the 70 Skylark. I think the driver of the Aspen really though he had not ran a red light, and suspected that the witness and I were conspiring against him because he was of a different race than the witness and I, but that totally was not the case.

About 18 years ago I was driving my parents home from a doctors appointment and there were two cars on the road far ahead of us. The road was only one lane in each direction and the car way far ahead was stopped and had his left turn signal on and was waiting for there to be no traffic in the opposing direction so he could make a left turn. I got on the brakes and stopped, and the car in-front of me kept on moving without slowing down and did not touch the brake. All three of us watched and the car in-front of us never use the brakes and never slowed down, and drove right into the back of the car that was stopped and waiting to make a left turn. I move up and got out and asked the driver of the car that got rear-ended if he was OK and he was. Both cars were undrivable. The girl got out of the car that hit the stopped car and no one wanted to talk to her. I think she was on her cell phone when the accident happened. I gave the driver of the car that got hit my information and told him I witnessed the whole thing and if he needed a witness call me. His insurance called me later.

Last edited:
I tell another one that my friend that's a truck driver told me that he saw.

He was working as a OTR learner driver for Steven's Transport - he was driving and the trainer was in the passenger seat. As they passed another semi, there was a car on the shoulder of the left (passing) lane with a guy in front of the car. After my friend passed the car, he looked in his mirror and the guy who was in front of the car stepped out in front of the semi behind my friend and became pink mist. My friend pulled over and didn't drive for the rest of that run.

I was headed to work in Bethel Industrial Park on a winter morning and the roads were icy. There is a little bridge on the road just past where Lowes is and right after that bridge the road turns some. In the opposing lane there was a jeep stopped and a smashed motorcycle that had slid on the ice crossed into the opposing side and hit head on into the jeep. The motorcycle driver was laying on the road dead. I did not see it happen, but I got there right after it happened.

1978 in the summer I was up near Pymatuming and while most of the area is very flat there is one road with a big hump in it. A motorcycle had gone over that hump way too fast and gone airborne and crossed the opposing lanes and slid into the support beams holding up the guard-rail on the side of the road. The motorcycle driver was dead.

1976, my cousin who worked in J&L Steel mill in Aliquippa had raced another mill worker home on rt 65 when he got off of working a 4 to 12 shift, and blew out the rear-end of his Dodge Swinger. He use to call the after 12 midnight race the Aliquippa 500, he did it often. We worked on cars a lot back then and had a spare rear end that fit, so the next day he and his brother, and my brother, and I took a rear-end we had and tools and floor jack and brake fluid to the broke down Swinger and change the rear-end in the parking lot of a convenience store on 65. Then his brother and my brother get in the Swinger to drive it home, and I get in the old beat up station-wagon that we brought, with my cousin driving. The Swinger had a big souped up engine and it took off and was doing over 110 MPH inbound on 65, and my cousin and I in the wagon were far behind it doing over 110 MPH trying to keep it in sight. We come over a peak in the road as we approach the 65 intersection of the McKeesRocks bridge in-front of us there are two lanes of cars stopped at the light. My cousin who was driving the wagon is reaching for his milk-shake that is on the floor on my side of the car and his eyes are below the top of the dash, and he is looking at the milk-shake. I scream STOP so loud and with such panic that he has the brakes locked up before he got his head back up. The Swinger is way in-front of us and has all 4 tires locked up and is sliding. The Swinger is running out of room as it approached the stopped cars in one lane, and it switches lanes to the other lane that the cars are not as far backed up and stopped before hitting anything. We slide and stop before the stopped cars. After a few words, the traffic started moving and we went home.

Over the years since then on a few occasions when we got together we still talked about that one, especially if the get-together was in the rt 65 area.

Last edited:
Back