Worse mpg with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 05 Civic SI and was running Castrol Syntec 5w20 with 27.1mpg city/highway. I tried Mobil 1 and have been getting 25.5mpg city/highway. I always liked Castrol Syntec and now I will be going back! P.S. The Mobil 1 was also 5w20. Any thoughts?

Well, if all the exact same variables didn't change from one oil to the other, go back to the Castrol. Castrol might have better FM's.

Palut brings up a good point. If my memory serves me right, September is when they start to phase in the oxygenated fuels for the northern climates, but meeze is in Clearwater, FL. I didn't think that they did it for the southern region, but they might just do it across the board considering that you never know where they'll be delivering the fuel to and from.

Good point. Also the quality of gas is rumored to be down (whatever that means). I'm running 1oz of Redline SI-1 with every tank full. Give that a shot. You need to trend it though before making any conclusions.

The environtmental standards have been temporarily relaxed due to the problems with supply because of Katrina. Basicly, the refiners can now just make gas, instead of worrying about environmental laws. It may mean the "quality" is better, if ethanol is excluded.

Was this a single tank of gas or over a oci? Calculating gas mileage off of a single tank of gas has a lot of variables like different fuel pumps, type of driving etc. even more so considering the small 13.2 gallon fuel tank.

I checked the mpg about 4 or 5 times putting in 9 to 10 gallons each time and then averaged it out. It might very well be the different fuel making process since Katrina graced our shores.

quote:

Originally posted by meeze:
I checked the mpg about 4 or 5 times putting in 9 to 10 gallons each time and then averaged it out. It might very well be the different fuel making process since Katrina graced our shores.

Are you comparing using the EXACT same brand of gasoline all the time. I can get quite different mpg from different brands of gas doing basically the same driving route routine. For me Shell gives the best mpg and Amoco and Getty give the worst mpg. All brands I use are regular 87 octane
dunno.gif
Also the pump shut-off between different pumps can cause you to over or underfill your tank. This will affect your mpg.
Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by meeze:
I have a 05 Civic SI and was running Castrol Syntec 5w20 with 27.1mpg city/highway. I tried Mobil 1 and have been getting 25.5mpg city/highway. I always liked Castrol Syntec and now I will be going back! P.S. The Mobil 1 was also 5w20. Any thoughts?

Checked air pressure in the tires lately??

quote:

Originally posted by Dad2leia:
Palut brings up a good point. If my memory serves me right, September is when they start to phase in the oxygenated fuels for the northern climates, but meeze is in Clearwater, FL. I didn't think that they did it for the southern region, but they might just do it across the board considering that you never know where they'll be delivering the fuel to and from.

Mid October and then they let you know that they are at the pump in Mid november.

quote:

Originally posted by abimanyu:
One of the richest country in the world and the population nags about 2.4 mpg, mmmm...........

Discussions like this are what BITOG exists for. There are plenty of "Bash-the-States" sites out there where you will get a lot more mileage out of your comments. . .

offtopic.gif

What's up with this abimanyu guy? His comments generally have nothing to do with the topic at hand, or at least aren't helpful and are in the wrong forum.

Back on topic - that is a huge percentage change. That alone tells me it isn't the oil. I have a hard time thinking even a 20W-50 would make that large of delta. (it could I suppose) but you used basically the same viscosity. So as the others have said; look elsewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
offtopic.gif

What's up with this abimanyu guy? His comments generally have nothing to do with the topic at hand, or at least aren't helpful and are in the wrong forum.

Back on topic - that is a huge percentage change. That alone tells me it isn't the oil. I have a hard time thinking even a 20W-50 would make that large of delta. (it could I suppose) but you used basically the same viscosity. So as the others have said; look elsewhere.

Exactly what I was thinking, on both counts. Assuming he measured the mileage accurately, there's an issue out there that ought to be at least ID-ed, and depending upon what it is, perhaps addressed. If it's just fuel, oh well. If some part or system is malfunctioning, it obviously needs attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back