Worried bout frankenbrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so last week I changed the oil in my old Toro 1132 snowblower. 11 HP B&S motor I change it out every year with whatever brand 5w30 and it runs great. This time I used whatever was on hand in 30 wt oil. Amsoil 0w30, PYB, 5w30, Motorcraft 5w30 and Shell full synthetic 5w30 I had a little of each so I mixed. The problem is now I can't sleep at night thinking my old B&S Toro is going to blow up the first snowstorm we have! So should I drain it out and stick with one oil or is this frankenbrew ok to run?

NO problem, the Briggs will not know it doesn't just have one brand in it, as you probably didn't show it the bottles before you put it in.

Sounds like an awesome brew to me. About how much of what is mostly in the brew? Amsoil is loadedwwith everything, Pyb too, and Shell plus MC are solid mid range oils.

BBBBIIIIIGGGGG DEAL! It's only motor oil for cripe's sake!

B&S engine (esp. older flatheads) can run in all kinds of sheet you throw at 'em, short of running old fried chicken oil in the crankcase and still works fine.

Get some sleep instead!!!!!!!

Q.

I ran 5W20 synth all winter in mine in the mower (mild winter, the grass didn't stop growing), then topped it with a little 20W60 when it started smoking/using oil as the weather warmed up on the 20.

Don't sweat it.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Ok so last week I changed the oil in my old Toro 1132 snowblower. 11 HP B&S motor I change it out every year with whatever brand 5w30 and it runs great. This time I used whatever was on hand in 30 wt oil. Amsoil 0w30, PYB, 5w30, Motorcraft 5w30 and Shell full synthetic 5w30 I had a little of each so I mixed. The problem is now I can't sleep at night thinking my old B&S Toro is going to blow up the first snowstorm we have! So should I drain it out and stick with one oil or is this frankenbrew ok to run?

Can't sleep at night? Dude, you have better than "whatever brand 5w30" in there.

49.gif

Last edited:
Exactly! I keep all of my 1/2 qts of oil from our cars that only take 4.5 qts at an OCI. I keep them in a 5 qt JUG along with all of the drizzle remaining from all of my quarts after an OCI.

I use this oil for the OPE(have for years) all the time. This JUG always has some combination of 5W20, 5W30 and often some 10W30. I may(if needed) use this oil as a makeup oil should any of our vehicles need a GLUG between OCI's.

To the OP, use this Frakenbrew with confidence! Your B&S will love it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
The problem is now I can't sleep at night thinking my old B&S Toro is going to blow up the first snowstorm we have! So should I drain it out and stick with one oil or is this frankenbrew ok to run?
Sounds like an anxiety disorder to me.

A Toro 1132 with a Briggs? Is it a Powershift, too? If so, I'm jealous.

As for the oil, not to worry. You could have done much worse than that mixture in a flathead.

All motor oils are compatible. You are not likely to improve an oil by blending ... but you cannot do damage by doing so.

At worst, the mixed add pack will not play nice and this could be a problem if you push the interval out to a borderline extreme duration.

One thing that is NOT compatible with motor oils are PAGs ... poly alkaline glycol ... lubricants often used in refridgeration compressors. Glycols and petroleum don't mix properly.

Originally Posted By: subaroo
op how do you handle a "real crisis"? I thought I was bad, no not even close.

Actually this really does not keep me up at night I was being sarcastic. As far as handling a real crisis I found out 3 months ago that I have terminal cancer I have three years to live. And no I'm not kidding at only 45 years old with a wife and a six year old son this is really what keeps me up at night. To be honest I did not want my snowblower to blow up on my wife this winter as she will prob be using it as they say my chemotherapy will really effect me in the cold I guess we shall see if it does.....Thank you all for the feedback on this.

wow, Camprunner, very sorry to hear...kind of puts our silly oil discussions in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back