worried about Chevron's performance in freezer-test

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading much about Chevron here, I took great pains to find the stuff, and was hoping to use it (10/30 & 10/40 mix) in my next oil change, then I saw this "freezer test", and although we probably don't see temps below zero often here in TN, I'm a little worried about Chevron's cold-flow capabilities now...

How do other Chevron users feel about this?
Should I go ahead and use it any way, now that I have found it after much searching?
(I'm going to mix 10/40 and 10/30 in 5:3 ratio and use it to run my AutoRx this winter...)

any advice form Chevron users/other experts?

Why not build up a strategic reserve like the most of us here and save it for warmer weather?

How can you sleep at night with less than 40 quarts of oil in your garage?
grin.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I wouldn't worry about it.

When I used Delo 400 15w-40, I subjected it to my own "freezer test", sitting for about eight hours in 0F. To my surprise (even though I knew about it's -38 pour point), it poured out just fine, albeit much thicker than when it went it (obviously). Only slightly darker in color.

My suggestion to you is that if you're concerned with cold-weather operation, don't run the mix of 10w-30 and 10w-40. The 10w-40, although it meets 10w requirements, is much thicker in cold conditions relative to the 10w-30 (73 vs. 104cSt at 40C).

I'm also a bit concerned at the recent discoveries about Chevron Supreme and cold pour/pumpability. Where I am we definetely see our share of low teens and even single digit overnight winter temps. I'm thrilled at the recent UOA with Chev Sup 5w-30 but may switch to the Motorcraft 5w-20 for winter months. **** , I may even try the Wally World Supertech blend 5w-20 or 5W-30 for one or two intervals during the winter.

Mikep

The freezer is not the place for 10w30 oil period. If it spooked you use the 5w30 or a Heavy Duty 0w30, the are blended thicker at 100°C usually around 12cSt.

Chevron Delo 0W30:
Vis..52.2/10.3
VI...190
Flash..419F
SA...1.1
TBN...10
Pour Point -76F !!!!!
Cost?? About $3.00/qt USD at the bulk place.

I quit using Chevron 5w-30 because it is not a good winter oil. I went to Pennzoil because it pumps 5400 ccs at -30, and pours at -44. I think Chevron pours at -30??? If it only gets to 0 at night, Chevron will be fine.

The Chevron/Havoline 5w30 actually has pretty decent cold weather stats, that is what I use in my wife's '03 Cavalier. I am going to use Mobil1 0w20 in my '02 Ranger this winter as it is not garaged.

Nothing scientific here but I ran 10W30 Chevron Supreme in two of my cars last winter (both 4.6L Ford motors) without any problems. There were quite a few cold, cold mornings in the single and low double digit numbers. I never had any problems. Cars always started right up and never seemed to strain when cranking. I regularly run this oil at 5K intervals with either a SuperTech ST2 or Motorcraft FL-820S filter.

I'm currently running a witches brew in one of these cars for the winter. I was cleaning up the garage a few months ago and I found 4 quarts of Redline 5W30 and 2 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 stashed on the bottom of a shelf -- all 1997ish vintage stuff.

I have noticed that the Redline really does clean. After 500 miles the oil is quite brown. I don't plan on changing this oil until March or April (probably 7.5 to 9K more miles by then).

For all those concerned, can we get a link to the cold-pour test thread? I (and probably others) have some catching up to do.

Keep in mind that blenders have traditionally enhanced the cold weather performance of their oils with pour point depressants which prevent waxes from forming larger, rigid structures (like water turning to ice - forming rigid crystal structures) which keeps hem flowing at low, low temps. I assume these are solvent-like substances and I wonder how this will affect the oil's lubricating abilities. Although, I must say that the PPDs don't seem to have degraded Pennzoil's ability to lubricate much.
dunno.gif

And I agree with sub_zero, this time a year, if you live in the northern half of North America, you should leave the 10W30 on the shelf until spring and go with a 5W30.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror,

Pour point depressants are typically alkylated naphthalenes, phoenolic polymers, polymethacrylates and sometimes co-polymer esters.
They will typically extend the lower operating temp of the base fluid by 10F-25F.

I think a better question how long are these chemicals effective in reducing the pour point, since they are depleted through use? I'd like to see a freezer test of a petroleum oil after 4000-5000 miles of service. I believe you'd see a significant thickening effect.

I'm not a big fan of 3000 mile oil changes, but if I was using a petroleum oil in a cold climate, I think I'd make an exception.

TS

I posted some of the freezer test results myself. I also said that the test was not scientific, but an observation. I further suggested that you try it yourself if you have any questions. Fact is, my truck seems to start just fine with that oil in it. This morning it was 29 degrees out and the engine was just fine. You need to remember that my OBSERVATIONS have nothing to do with low temp PUMPABILITY. That test requires special equipment to perform. I don't think you can say that just because an oil thickens up in your freezer, that it will not meet it's posted specs.

Has anyone gotten a bad oil analysis using Chevron during the winter months? If not, then I wouldn't worry about its cold weather performance. I don't think I've seen a bad Chevron analysis yet.

Wayne

I freezer tested 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 Valvoline MaxLife oil and saw very little difference between them at zero F. The 5w seemed to flow a tad better but both 10w's seemd the same. But is this an accurate representation of trying to pump the oil through tiny passages and into bearings. I have my truck plugged in on mornings when it is much below freezing--that is an oil pan heater though (Wolverine Oil Pan Heaters or something like that--search the net).

I am doing the freezer test with the chevron 10w-30 and mobil 1 10w-30 so I can see this for myself. Will report back on 10/31/03 after 3 days in freezer.
grin.gif

[ October 27, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
Has anyone gotten a bad oil analysis using Chevron during the winter months? If not, then I wouldn't worry about its cold weather performance. I don't think I've seen a bad Chevron analysis yet.

Wayne

I'll probably send in a sample of the Chevron 5w-30 sometime around March '04. I have a change due in December but since the coldest months here won't be until Jan and Feb, I'd rather wait to send in a sample from that fill and not the November/Decemeber fill.

Mikep

See the post about the NC Procurement. If it is true that Chevron Supreme 5W-30 Synthetic really is a PAO, then it surely would flow as good as Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back