Worm Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restoring a 1961 Simplicity Roticul 3hp. Does anyone know where to locally purchase Worm Gear oil for the gearbox of this beastie? It cannot use standard gear oil because of the brass gear.

Not sure how it's specs compare to the skil 77 worm gear, but I've seen that lube at hd..

Use a gear oil labeled "GL-4". I got mine at NAPA. Anything labeled GL-5 should not be used where there are yellow parts.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Restoring a 1961 Simplicity Roticul 3hp. Does anyone know where to locally purchase Worm Gear oil for the gearbox of this beastie? It cannot use standard gear oil because of the brass gear.

SCAN0309+copy.jpg

Hey! Great old antique. I have 2 rototillers of similar vintage.

I used WM 80-90 gear oil in one, the other one leaked so I filled it with moly grease.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Doog
Nevermind...I found this

http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/737-04040

It says it is $161.28 but that can't be right. Look at a local tractor or OPE shop for similar

That's for 12 bottles. 12 bottles =1 unit. That's still over $13/quart, at least that looked like the size of the bottle. Plus shipping most likely. How much to you need to change it? I'd keep looking for alternatives.

Whimsey

I use snapper "00" grease in most every gearbox on all types of tillers and snowblowers. It is much thicker than gear oil, and much thinner than gun grease. Has been working for me and my customers for many many years.
You will probably only find it at snapper dealers though, although it available on the aftermarket.

I have the same tiller...I got mine from an older gentleman off of CL a few years ago. He bought it new but the engine was apart and I repowered it with a Chonda engine from HF. I had to fab up a bracket for the belt drive/reverse pulleys but have been using it for several years and it works great. It had a seal leaking on the worm drive and I had NAPA match one up and it fit perfectly. I got the STA-LUBE gear oil from Napa as well...SAE140 API/GL-4, says it's safe for all non ferrous metals and not corrosive to copper, bronze or other non ferrous bushings or bearings.

Originally Posted By: old1
I use snapper "00" grease in most every gearbox on all types of tillers and snowblowers. It is much thicker than gear oil, and much thinner than gun grease. Has been working for me and my customers for many many years.
You will probably only find it at snapper dealers though, although it available on the aftermarket.

I used 00 grease in my snow blower gear drive. It's hard to find but I ordered mine from Sears online. Stens Super Lube "00" Grease / 9 Ounce Tube cost $13

It is a little thick, but mine has been nice and quiet and seems to be doing fine after almost 3 years of use. My son and I both use this old tiller in our home gardens and it gets a good work out every spring. The reverse feature is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back