World War 2 and the greatest generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
These threads tell me that the "Greatest Generation" will always be that because they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and didn't just happen to get sucked into a World War en masse and did what they were supposed to do...and the current "snowflake" generation will always be that even if faced with a similar circumstance and doing what they were supposed to do...it makes nice nostalgia for septuagenarians with a "get off my lawn" worldview...but somehow the spoiled, hippy generation in Vietnam fought pretty valiantly in a hackneyed, unpopular war. What happens when the "snowflakes" ( snowflakes being universal in its straw man for an entire generation of course ) get to participate in a popular and/or critical war and aren't snowflakes?? Somehow I have enough intelligence to separate pop culture sociology from too much talk radio with an actual need should it arise. I've known too many people in the military ( my dad and my late friend who was a Lt. Col in the Marines included ) to think otherwise....

The difference between now and then is truth is in your face and instant news.

We only hear about the great things of a generation however the dark stuff was buried due to slow sanitized and censored news cycle. They could not even report or show the president FDR as the disabled person he was.

I don't think the world is worst just we see to much of it now and instantly.

Please keep the political and religious commentary to yourselves.

Receiving anymore complaints and having to remove posts will result in topic lock.

Topic is not about the current generation and they're perceived or actual political beliefs.

It would be hard pressed to top our founding fathers during the revolutionary war . When they put their names on the documents they signed their own contract to be singled out to be killed . From what I have read only 30-40% of the citizens were for separating from England . Those documents they collaborated on are the envy of the world today . They were men ahead of their time . How did they do it without the net ?

Originally Posted by Kjmack
It would be hard pressed to top our founding fathers during the revolutionary war . When they put their names on the documents they signed their own contract to be singled out to be killed . From what I have read only 30-40% of the citizens were for separating from England . Those documents they collaborated on are the envy of the world today . They were men ahead of their time . How did they do it without the net ?

Well each set of wars has their pros and cons. With the revolutionary war they were up against tougher odds, they were facing down the British empire who could have crushed them if they had the money and the will to do so. Vietnam was basically that same playbook, US was much stronger, but they outlasted the US. Civil war was the bloodiest though and the most deaths of any US war, brother vs brother in many cases. For WWII Japan knew they had woken a sleeping giant. Yamamoto knew the Japanese couldn't compete with the US in the long haul as he had studied in the US and knew what it was capable of. The only strategy he could pursue was to knock out the fleet at Pearl, grab as much as he could and then sue for a negotiated peace. Didn't quite work out the way he had hoped.

My parents would tell stories of how everyone participated in the war effort one way or another. The scrap trucks would make their rounds as people donated pots and pans that could be melted down. A lot of people today do not realize that everything was rationed. Flour, oil, butter, shoes etc. Families received ration books for these things. Blackout curtains, air raid drills, and the posting of stars in the windows.

It really was a concerted effort by everyone to ensure victory.

A blue star in the window meant that house had a member in the military. A gold star meant that house had lost someone in the war during fighting.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Be a sad day when all those men are gone . I hope this nation never forgets why and what they were fighting for . I do believe a large portion of this country doesn't have a clue .

Dad served in the Navy on the USS Iowa , in the Pacific .

You are right , way too many people to day are just interested in how much free stuff the next politician can promise them ! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back