World Record Longest Long Range Rifle Shot

No I want to say it was like the 9th shot.

At that distance the target would never have any idea where the shots were coming from, about 7-9seconds after the shot. The sniper could shoot all day long easily, of course against those foes.
I've seen videos of people being shot at by a long range sniper. The target looks around a bit confused when the first shot goes by (it maybe hits something nearby) and are diving for cover soon after the second one. You would only get several shots if you had a pretty clueless target.

I've seen videos of people being shot at by a long range sniper. The target looks around a bit confused when the first shot goes by (it maybe hits something nearby) and are diving for cover soon after the second one. You would only get several shots if you had a pretty clueless target.
There's a video reenactment of Rob Furlong's shots, think he missed the first 1 or 2?

Maybe special forces have some kind of steerable bullet that will help achieve 1 shot 1 kill? On second thought if the bullet were to be found / reverse engineered / intercepted, maybe that's not a good idea unless it explodes.

Ok, you are right.

Here is a video concerning the shot. The video implies it was one shot. I wasn't there so I can't say.

Sure there is luck involved. In 10 seconds the target could move for one thing, but there is tremendous skill too.
He misses twice (2nd miss hits the guy's backpack), here's the interview with him from the History Channel:

They say flight time was 4 seconds.

Long range shooting has to do with many factors, most of which, the shooter has no control over. Skill is involved, but out at that distance, the law of averages takes over, that and luck.
Yeah, a guy I know shoots competitively in the reserves and won a competition just by aiming between the two silhouettes presented on a swirling windy day... I guess they didn't have to call which one they were aiming for, and he got "lucky" and hit one well. I guess it took experience to go with that strategy and it paid off.

Last edited:
Yeah, a guy I know shoots competitively in the reserves and won a competition just by aiming between the two silhouettes presented on a swirling windy day... I guess they didn't have to call which one they were aiming for, and he got "lucky" and hit one well. I guess it took experience to go with that strategy and it paid off.
Experience is key 100%, but it is a math problem, that you dont have all the variables for. For instance, in easy math terms, 2 miles with a 1 MOA gun and shooter and ammo, no wind......a perfect group would be 36". The average person is no more than 20'' wide at their widest. A first shot hit probability is 60% roughly assuming no wind or range corrections. The thing is, no one can do it, on command over and over and over why???? The variables you cant tabulate, especially the wind at distance. The further the bullet flies, the slower it gets, the more effect on its path by the wind. There are ways to see this, such as using the mirage in a variable power scope focus or parallax adjustment. There is the factor that the wind changes as the bullet is flying.......and so on.

But I am no expert.

He misses twice (2nd miss hits the guy's backpack), here's the interview with him from the History Channel:

They say flight time was 4 seconds.
This seems to be about Rob Furlong shooting a McMillan TAC-50 for Canada's PPCLI in Afghanistan. It's a long shot, but it's #4 on the longest shot list.

So we still don't know how many rounds the unnamed sniper from Canada's JTF-2 fired for the #1 longest shot.

This seems to be about Rob Furlong shooting a McMillan TAC-50 for Canada's PPCLI in Afghanistan. It's a long shot, but it's #4 on the longest shot list.

So we still don't know how many rounds the unnamed sniper from Canada's JTF-2 fired for the #1 longest shot.
Yes, because you had searched for Rob Furlong's sniper shot, so I figured that was the one we were discussing.

We might get more details on the 2017 shot in a few years (or maybe not).

There's a video circulating Ukraine new media showing a shot of a successful shot by a Ukrainian sniper at a range of over 2-miles. (12,470 ft).

WSJ is running an article on it but it's behind a paywall. The cartridge used appears to be custom. Think of a 50 cal set in brass that holds twice the volume of powder.

Back