Work’s Canceled Tonight - 1st Oil Change Time on the 4Runner!

Well, I figured I paid for the 2 year 25k maintenance. So I talked to the service writer I met when I bought the 4Runner, and explained I felt they should give me the oil, filter, and drain plug gasket, as they would still be saving money by not touching my truck. He agreed, so they gave me 7 quarts of TGMO, Toyota filter, and a drain plug gasket.

I changed the oil at just over 1k miles.

I'm up to about 1600 miles so far. Runs like brand new... 😉

Well, I figured I paid for the 2 year 25k maintenance. So I talked to the service writer I met when I bought the 4Runner, and explained I felt they should give me the oil, filter, and drain plug gasket, as they would still be saving money by not touching my truck. He agreed, so they gave me 7 quarts of TGMO, Toyota filter, and a drain plug gasket.

I changed the oil at just over 1k miles.

I'm up to about 1600 miles so far. Runs like brand new... 😉
Man, that was smart!

I have a Toyota dealership right across the road from me (Nashville Toyota North). I might too in there and try that myself!

Nit sure how much of a fan I am of the super-high viscosity modifier content of TGMO, but I’ve always been sorta intrigued by the CATERHAM blend (1:1 TGMO 0W-20/M1 0W-40).

Anybody remember CATERHAM? I used to enjoy his posts. Wonder why he doesn’t come around anymore.

Man, that was smart!

I have a Toyota dealership right across the road from me (Nashville Toyota North). I might too in there and try that myself!

Nit sure how much of a fan I am of the super-high viscosity modifier content of TGMO, but I’ve always been sorta intrigued by the CATERHAM blend (1:1 TGMO 0W-20/M1 0W-40).

Anybody remember CATERHAM? I used to enjoy his posts. Wonder why he doesn’t come around anymore.

I'd give it a shot. The worst they can do is say no.

It may have helped in my case that this was at the Dealer I had bought the 4Runner from. The service writer also knew one of my friends and former colleagues at the dealership I had worked at years ago. That fact may have helped.

I guess being retired has it's benefits because I don't have to worry about going to work. My former job was 24/7 and couldn't be shut down so it didn't matter what the weather was like, someone had to work.

My 98 chevy K3500 truck is within about 300 miles of it's 3,000 mile oil change so hopefully the weather will get better soon. It's taken me about 2 years to get to these miles so it's probably time.

I definitely don’t agree with Toyota’s recommendation of 10K OCIs WITH 0W-20 oil in hotter climates.
Do you have any links to proof that 0w20 and 10,000 miles OCI's are not good in some way? I do this and my Tundra has had no issues and shows no signs of premature wear.

So I just took a peak in my GX460 manual and it does not say anything about using a heavier oil at high speeds/towing.

It just says the same old line about 5W-20 can be used if 0W-20 is not available and to switch back on the next change.

I kinda want to see what the Toyota Tundra Owners Manual says for the 4.6L.

So I just took a peak in my GX460 manual and it does not say anything about using a heavier oil at high speeds/towing.

It just says the same old line about 5W-20 can be used if 0W-20 is not available and to switch back on the next change.

I kinda want to see what the Toyota Tundra Owners Manual says for the 4.6L.

Here's the owners manual for a 200 series Landcruiser in Australia, with the 1UR-FE 4.6 gas engine.

1UR-FEoil2_zpsa3bf6887.jpg
1UR-FEoiljpg_zpsf9a02fc3.jpg

0w20 to 20w50 is acceptable depending on ambient temps. I'd say that makes it fairly conclusive that the USA spec is CAFE driven.

Do you have any links to proof that 0w20 and 10,000 miles OCI's are not good in some way? I do this and my Tundra has had no issues and shows no signs of premature wear.
You live in Arkansas; not Alaska.

You just have to decide what your priorities are, as far as your truck.

What‘s more important? Getting a minuscule % better fuel economy, or better long-term engine longevity?

As @02SE explained, these engines are authorized by Toyota to run on dang-near any grade of oil, provided the ambient temperatures are within the limits for that oil.

The decision ive made, as I’ve explained earlier in this thread, is for long-term engine durability, which is why I’ve decided, for the long term, to run a heavier grade. We plan to keep this truck indefinitely, as I have with my Tacoma (235,000 miles and counting).

I don’t have a problem with a good-quality 0W-20, especially in cooler temps, and for a shorter interval. In fact, I just poured in 0W-20 M1-AP. The current temp outside is 30°F. But I only plan to rin it for a 7000-mile OCI. Then I will go to at least a 30-grade for the warmer temps we’ll have at that time.

What‘s more important? Getting a minuscule % better fuel economy, or better long-term engine longevity
As I asked previously, do you have any links to proof that my engine longevity will be better with a 30 weight over a 20 weight? I am not being a smart ass, I really would like to see that proof because if it exists, then I am switching. If not, then I see no reason to and what you are stating is just your opinion.

As I asked previously, do you have any links to proof that my engine longevity will be better with a 30 weight over a 20 weight? I am not being a smart ass, I really would like to see that proof because if it exists, then I am switching. If not, then I see no reason to and what you are stating is just your opinion.

Read the owners manual excerpt I posted from the Australian 200 series landcruiser. That's for the 1UR-FE, which is essentially a shorter stroke version of your engine.

Toyota states that an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited for high speeds, or extreme loads. Toyota wouldn't make the suggestion if a higher viscosity couldn't protect an engine better.

They make the recommendation for Australian vehicles, because they don't have the EPA or CAFE regs to contend with.

Toyota states that an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited for high speeds, or extreme loads. Toyota wouldn't make the suggestion if a higher viscosity couldn't protect an engine better.
May be used. That is the key word. Not should be used because it protects better in everyday applications. I don't constantly travel at high speeds and I never have extreme loads. There is no proof that a 5w30 will protect better.

In fact, I'd wager that a Toyota Tundra running 5w30 from the beginning up to 500,000 miles and the same truck running 0w20 would both look just as good torn down and inspected.

As I previously stated, show me proof to the contrary and I will gladly switch from 0w20 to 5w30 for my Tundras longevity.

May be used. That is the key word. Not should be used because it protects better in everyday applications. I don't constantly travel at high speeds and I never have extreme loads. There is no proof that a 5w30 will protect better.

In fact, I'd wager that a Toyota Tundra running 5w30 from the beginning up to 500,000 miles and the same truck running 0w20 would both look just as good torn down and inspected.

As I previously stated, show me proof to the contrary and I will gladly switch from 0w20 to 5w30 for my Tundras longevity.

I thought you'd appreciate knowing what Toyota has to say on the issue of oil for the 1UR-FE, when not trying to conform to our EPA and CAFE regs. I don't care enough to try and convince you one way or another.

Do whatever you want.

I am going to guess you may be right since you don't use your truck like a truck. And I am thinking that maybe no one cares if you switch or not.

However, if you did use your truck as a truck, then you might consider the guidance from Australia where they tend to use their trucks as trucks. They tow and offroad in high temps. They even tow while offroading in high temps 😂

1613760338555.jpg

Here's the owners manual for a 200 series Landcruiser in Australia, with the 1UR-FE 4.6 gas engine.

View attachment 45895View attachment 45896

0w20 to 20w50 is acceptable depending on ambient temps. I'd say that makes it fairly conclusive that the USA spec is CAFE driven.
I was feeling frisky last night and decided to post up on the GX offroad group on FB that I am gunna use 10W-30 in my lexus during the summer along with these photos. Oh boy, did some people lose it 😂

“your gunna starve your bearings!”

“the oil wont fit because the clearances are for 0w-20!”

I was feeling frisky last night and decided to post up on the GX offroad group on FB that I am gunna use 10W-30 in my lexus during the summer along with these photos. Oh boy, did some people lose it 😂

“your gunna starve your bearings!”

“the oil wont fit because the clearances are for 0w-20!”

Some people are just willfully ignorant. They don't want their preconceived notions challenged, even if the information comes directly from a Toyota Owners Manual for the specific engine in question.

Like the guy above who apparently won't accept Toyota's recommendations, and wants someone to provide "proof"...

If they can't accept the manufacturers recommendations, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone otherwise.

Some people are just willfully ignorant. They don't want their preconceived notions challenged, even if the information comes directly from a Toyota Owners Manual for the specific engine in question.

Like the guy above who apparently won't accept Toyota's recommendations, and wants someone to provide "proof"...

If they can't accept the manufacturers recommendations, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone otherwise.
I believe it is you that is just willfully ignorant. That, or you can't comprehend written English. I follow my Toyota owners manual recommendation...it says I should run 0w20. That is what I use. The manual also says that a higher viscosity may be used under certain situations, which I do not meet. I never argued any of that.

What the Toyota manual does NOT say is that running a higher viscosity will protect my engine better over its life cycle than the 0w20 they recommend and have stamped on my oil filler cap.

Other posters said that the higher viscosity would protect my engine better, not Toyota. So I asked for proof from them. Maybe before you post stupid replies, should take them time to read all information so that you don't come across looking like a complete moron.

I could stoop to your level, but I'm not going to do that.

You have recommendations from Toyota, for an engine which is essentially just a shorter stroke version of your engine.

Now having spent time in some middle eastern countries where the 3UR-FE is used, I can say that Toyota specs the same oil recommendations with the same verbiage, as those in the above referenced Owners Manual for the 1UR-FE in Australia.

Now if you're running in similar ambient temps as speced in the charts, we can deduce that running a higher viscosity oil will probably be okay, in this country...

Last edited:
Back