Work’s Canceled Tonight - 1st Oil Change Time on the 4Runner!

Winter precip in its way into NashVegas. I work 2nd Shift (aircraft maintenance, but it’s not line maintenance - we do periodic heavy maintenance), and the boss called and said 2nd Shift is canceled for tonight.

Wife’s 4Runner already has >2800 miles, and I usually change oil on new engines at 2000-3000 miles. Not that it’s necessary to do that or anything - I just usually do.

Picked up a Fram Ultra oil filter (geez, 16 bucks at Walmart and it’s not even a spin-on) and have some M1-AP out in the garage (I have lots of 0W-20 and a little bit of 5W-30, as well as some 5W-30 EP).

And I have the handy MotivX filter housing tool you guys suggested.

Seems like a good time to get ‘er done!

25° outside currently, with winter precip mix to start around 6:00.

Anyone else not going to work due to weather?

Winter precip in its way into NashVegas. I work 2nd Shift (aircraft maintenance, but it’s not line maintenance - we do periodic heavy maintenance), and the boss called and said 2nd Shift is canceled for tonight.

Wife’s 4Runner already has >2800 miles, and I usually change oil on new engines at 2000-3000 miles. Not that it’s necessary to do that or anything - I just usually do.

Picked up a Fram Ultra oil filter (geez, 16 bucks at Walmart and it’s not even a spin-on) and have some M1-AP out in the garage (I have lots of 0W-20 and a little bit of 5W-30, as well as some 5W-30 EP).

In Florida?...Geez!

We warmed up to 25F today. Needless to say, we don't cancel on account of such warm temps!

I'm actually thinking of doing some outside work, or at least taking a walk, since I've been indoors for the last week or so (no real reason to go outside, and it's been closer to zero lately).

weather clearing in New Jersey. No work today, tomorrow or I guess never. Very strange retiring suddenly. It’s been 4 years and I am still adjusting. It’s good, it just requires an adjustment. Don’t fear it.

Worst part of the job is the filter drain, IMO. If the Fram came with one of the push-in drains, here's what I do...

Plug the hole tight with a paper towel. Take a 27mm deep socket (fits the Toyota drain perfectly), then pop it up into place using a hammer. Pull the towel out when you're ready to drain the filter housing. The OE drain is a tight fit and hard-ish to press in place. Inevitably, oil leaks down on you when you don't want it to. My process limits the possibility of this. 😁

Are you going to do the drive line?

Worst part of the job is the filter drain, IMO. If the Fram came with one of the push-in drains, here's what I do...

Plug the hole tight with a paper towel. Take a 27mm deep socket (fits the Toyota drain perfectly), then pop it up into place using a hammer. Pull the towel out when you're ready to drain the filter housing. The OE drain is a tight fit and hard-ish to press in place. Inevitably, oil leaks down on you when you don't want it to. My process limits the possibility of this. 😁
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that!

Do yourself a favour and leave the disk alone. Loosen the housing like you would a spin on filter and let it drain. When it slows to a drip remove the assembly and change the filter element on the bench. No fussing with adapters or o-rings and the best part, no mess.

Last edited:
Hopefully you get the filter off no worries. I had to really work hard with my Motiv wrench and a breaker bar when I did mine (dealer did the change before I bought my 2016).
But it's a satisfying change because the filter housing only goes so tight, with that silver tab. So there's no guesswork.

You paid $15 for the filter?! Darn that's expensive. My Wix was $6.

@GSCJR I disagree. Might as well replace that disk gasket just for the peace of mind. But here at BITOG, YMMV.

You mean the transmission and diff? Not yet. It’s a new truck. Eventually probably do M1 in the diff and Toyota WS in the trans. They’ve served me well in the 07 Tacoma.

First off, have at it brotha!! I also do an early dump of fluids after some break in. It would be nice to have actual science behind it but that hasn't exactly happened. I ended up doing the front/rear diffs on the F150 and Subaru at 25K and the trans on the F150 got a new filter and a pan drain/fill at 30k along with transfer case at 30k. I'll end up doing the trans and transfer case again at 60k. Piece of mind. Diffs will be longer as I don't get mine submerged.

15 degrees out here in Dallas. The snow has been falling for most of the day causing the roads to be pretty hazardous, as they are practically untreated. My wife's work closed their office tomorrow, but I've been work-from-home since last March. Doubt I'll get off work. :sneaky:

Next time get the ultra from Rockauto. I usually buy 6 filters at a time to make shipping costs worth it.

With the fumoto drain on my vehicles not a big issue to do a drain and fill this time of the year. I keep the ultra on for multiple OCI and time it so the filter is changed during the spring to fall time period, so I don't have to fiddle with changing the filter during a cold spell.

Back