Work Vans - Lots of options out there.

The Chevy IMO is probably the better bet to go high miles more reliably.

But, if the Promaster can get 13 mpg vs 11 mpg of the other vans, over 200k miles at $3 a gallon that's a $10k savings in fuel.
The $8k transmission replacement eats that savings up. We have 3 Promasters in our fleet and 2 needed transmissions before 100k miles
I thought GM had the 6L80 (6L90?) which had torque convertor woes?

I think the transit should be reasonably reliable as well. How many miles on that one? I will say I see the transits everywhere! So at least parts are plentiful. 3.5 should feel very powerful, but the 3.7 simpler and cheaper in the long run. Another plus with the transit is that high roof good for the working person!

Nissan NV is boring. And boring is good. It's outdated, but It will outrun the rest of those "modern" vans. Maintenance and/or repairs are a breeze with that access to everything in the engine compartment, unlike every other van mentioned. Parts are cheap too, and plentiful. But best part is - it won't need much unexpected parts or repairs, if basic maintenance is done in timely manner. Heck, even when neglected they run and run and run. Can't say the same about the rest. GM comes close, but Nissan holds the workhorse reliability crown here.
Just my last couple pennies here... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Thanks for all your thoughts on these vans! Ultimately, it's not my final decision and I'm just putting-in my 0.02cts.

Yes, the Nissan (high top) does appear a bit goofy... but?? Who cares if it's doing it's job right? It's older tech for sure...but... easier to repair from what I can see. The few examples I have driven were just like any Nissan truck... Did most everything well... but again, not all that updated. Gas MPG 12-14 etc.

The Boss is leaning towards the Transit now... likes the 3.7 and power... The used one we are looking at has about 80k miles and drove very well. Actually, drove much better than the RAM and Nissan we drove. I know you GM guys love your GM vans... (One of our carpenters has a Savanna and absolutely loves it.)

We'll see.... Out of all of them, I did like the Transit interior. Lots of good spaces and cubbies etc.

Nissan NV is boring. And boring is good. It's outdated, but It will outrun the rest of those "modern" vans. Maintenance and/or repairs are a breeze with that access to everything in the engine compartment, unlike every other van mentioned. Parts are cheap too, and plentiful. But best part is - it won't need much unexpected parts or repairs, if basic maintenance is done in timely manner. Heck, even when neglected they run and run and run. Can't say the same about the rest. GM comes close, but Nissan holds the workhorse reliability crown here.
Just my last couple pennies here... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like them also... Appreciate your pennies! Thanks! (y)

The 6L90E does not have the same issues as the 6L80E. There are some failures, but nothing like the 80E

As the 6.0L doesn't have AFM....So the converter clutch isn't constantly slipped to even out uneven pulses caused by shutting down cylinders.

However.....The 6L80E & 6L90E use the same converter (JMBX) & fail in the same manner, The calibration differences just allows the 6L90E converter clutch to last longer.

Update: Found a 2018 Ford Transit in really great condition and purchased it. So far... it's been great. Love the rear wheel drive and the 3.7L. Getting 18mpg in mixed driving.

Funny that it ended-up being the Ford as we didn't start there. So far, very happy with the van and it's performance.

I have seen 100s of the GM vans\trucks with 300k miles on them, purchased by private companies, and still run fine. One guy I know has several Chevy trucks with 400k on them. ( he is cheap) Ford likes to tout the F 150 being the best selling truck around, but that is assuming the sierra and silverado is a different truck, put those two together.............for a couple private companies I have worked for, GM trucks and vans we used extensively, with little issues and minimal maintainence.

Sure the Nissan has more room, but how many do you see driving around.......I suggest next time you are out and about, look and see what most private companies have as their vehicles...........and the reason why i say private companies..................they are not all about the bottom line.............and rely on their trucks, whereas LARGE companies get special pricing on fleets and are about the bottom line..........

Disclaimer, i am a chevy truck guy, but not because any other reason than personal experience and observation.

Chevy/GMC... Very good vans and I see them all over the place. My plumber routinely has them until around 300k... (Some longer). The Nissan trucks are good also..but... you can't beat the V-8 for longevity. In reality, the van (we purchased) was a rush thing... we lucked-out and were trying to make the purchase before the new year began (Tax deductions etc.) I'm sure there's a case to be made for all of them, but the Transit really is a nice van.

Update: Found a 2018 Ford Transit in really great condition and purchased it. So far... it's been great. Love the rear wheel drive and the 3.7L. Getting 18mpg in mixed driving.

Funny that it ended-up being the Ford as we didn't start there. So far, very happy with the van and it's performance.
Idk the mileage on yours, but lately I have seen and heard of an alarming number of Transits with bad transmissions. All seem to fall in 100K-150K mile range.

So if anything happens - buy the Nissan. Aside from everything mentioned, these Nissans drift well. :D:D:D See proof below. :cool:

You can stand in a promaster if you get a high roof.

I work on them, though, and I’d advise you to steer clear of them. Lots and lots of repairs to them and our fleet of a few hundred of them only have a max of about 25-30k miles.
Everytime I'm behind a completely ridiculously slow van, it's one of these goofy things. I hate the Promaster and I've never driven one. I've just been held up by them enough to know they are goofy and dumb.

Back